1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DelarockX, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

How important is POI?

Why is it important?

Is gun fit more important?

I was daydreaming on my ride home tonight and just thinking about adjustable ribs and high end guns. I see a lot of barrel sets being sold... without an adjustable rib, you would change the way the gun shot, right?

If you have a gun custom fitted to your exact measurements but, for example, shot 90/10 as opposed to 100% high... Would it impact your game that much?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

You could see a difference at 13 yards (suggested distance for determining a POI) between 90/10 and 100%. But when looking at patterns shot at 30 yards it would be difficult to distinguish between these two point of impacts. Patterns are very variable.

Pat Ireland

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Gun fit is the most important.

Gun fit is the second most important.

POI is important only in so far as you must set your properly fitting gun to "shoot where you look". What your POI ends up as is of little consequence. If you are smoking targets with a 60/40 POI, then that's what you should use. If it turns out to be 90/10, then that is what you should use.

You determine the best POI for you while shooting targets. Then you go to the pattern board to shoot for POI, only to tell you what it is. That way, if you experiment with different settings after the fact, you can always recreate your original POI.

BTW, did I mention gun fit is important?

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Neither is "more important" since they are so interconnected they are practically the same thing.

Once you get past the easy part of about the right length, correcting something that may cause you to tilt your head abnormally, and so on, then it is gun fit that determines POI. After all, POI is not just high/low, it is left/right too.

Once you get right/left correct (and most of what you read you read here is nuts in my opinion) you can then worry about vertical POI and adjust it with stock fit or whatever else is available.

Which is more important? You won't hit much (or enjoy shooting either) if your gun fit is not about right and you won't hit much (or enjoy shooting either) if your POI is not about right too.

Neil

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Having the gun shoot where you look is second only to looking at the target properly

In order for the gun to shoot where you look it must be perfectly(or almost) fit

6. JTEA

JTEA Member

Shooting where you "look" is something that you learn in time. How do you shoot your targets? Flat at them when they "peak", pull through them, or do you shoot a rising target? I have seen many high average shooters who shoot a rising target and thus prefer a higher POI. Years ago I was tried to understand how a local woman shooter shot using a 100 over POI. Now I prefer an 80 over, even with the flatter targets around here. As your speed increases, target acquisition etc., the target shot will still be rising. A AAA friend now has well over 100 over POI, but he also times his shot so he sees the target clearly first.

(It has taken years for me to understand proper gun fit for myself. Others can help, give advice, but you must work at it yourself. Weight, balance, rib / barrel sight picture, cast, POI, drop at pad, pitch....)

JT

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Gun fit is the most important factor , knowing where your pattern is when your shooting at a target is next . A perfect fitting high end gun doesn`t get you a 25 if you shoot in the wrong place or make a mistake or flinch or stop the gun or lift your head or -- or >>> Ask to try someone elses gun shooting a round and see if your scores increase . I personally don`t like shooting a high shooting gun .

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The most important thing is to have a gun that shoots straight. When you have found one, then you can fine tune gun fit and POI relative to your POA. HMB

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

After watching Phil Kiners CD and looking at the targets, something In my style has changed.

I have been AA-27 and a fairly quick shooter but this season I have had to slowly but steadly raise the poi of my unsingle to center targets, I now have maxed out the rib adjustments by 5 notches from last season.

I don't know what happend but I like less upward movement.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

POI is only important if your not hitting the targets.

Jimmy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

importance of poi