1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of Cast on Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MIWEBB, Sep 9, 2013.

1. MIWEBB

MIWEBB TS Member

How important is it to have a stock cast-on for a left hand shooter? I am in the process of purchasing a new o/u, but have not been able to locate the gun in a left hand version (Zoli Kronos Sport). I was able to shoot a right hand version of the Zoli Z-Sport and was able to shoot it well. I was able to shoulder (but not shoot) a Zoli Z-Sport in the left-hand stock configuration and it had a different feel than the right hand stock. How many left hand shooters purchase a right hand stock, and if necessary have the stock bent or put on an adjustable butt plate?

Thannks,

Mike

2. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

I am left handed and been fighting with my right hand stock for years.
    I even put on a soft top with adjustment.
    go left handed stock and do not take a chance with a right handed stock

birddog

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not at all! Castoff/on was popular on side by sides. not necessary on o/u, the only thing important is that you look down the barrel. The rear sight is your eye, comb can be altered to do the same thing, or adj.comb to provide offset. Cast is angling the stock, which will result in whacking you in the jaw.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sorry EuroJoe, I strongly disagree with your statement. I too, fought the right handed stocks for several years. Even being left handed, I could easily adjust the comb to obtain the proper sight picture, however, the stock just never felt comfortable when I mounted the gun. The toe always hit me right in the chest, even with an adjustable pad. I finally bit the bullet and got a dedicated left hand stock for my Perazzi, with the right amount of cast, and what a difference it made! My gun mounts correctly every time I shoulder it, and I don't have to fight the stock to try to get it right. Should have done it years ago, but, being a true trap shooter, I just KNEW I could make a right hand stock work for me.... NOT. If you are a serious shooter, which I assume you are by your question, get a left handed stock and stay with it.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I said nothing about shooting a cast stock from the wrong side. I'm talking about sight picture, not comfort. Obviously, your LH stock was built with some twist at the butt to fit you better. How did we shoot all these neutral guns for years, beforecast became the latest rage, now superceded by rib height!

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

The highly regarded gunfitter Michael Yardley discussed the merits of cast on British guns at some length. At the end of it all he said something to the effect that Americans just don't worry about cast and they shoot just fine.

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

There are plenty of stock fitters who can/will bend your stock and make it fit and shoot properly. Another option is starting with a neutral stock and putting an adjustable comb and butt plate for drop, LOP and cant. These setups, properly adjusted and fitted is another, more expensive avenue, but gives infinite adjustment and fit. Get the gun professionally fitted with range time, then leave it the hell alone and learn to shoot it. Some exhibition grade wood may not be candidate for bending, and adding the comb/butt plate may be your only option.

best....mike

8. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Dumb idea! Straight-on is fine and would make shooting so much simpler.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

To "be in the process" of buying a gun which is made completely wrong for you makes no sense. Don't do it. Take your time and find or make something that will work. It's way more complicated than you think and things like adjustable combs won't fix it.

You ask about importance and really, I'd say it's the only-only important thing. Everything else is detail.

Except that cast is a mistake anyway and you don't want any. You want "offset." That means that the butt of the stock is still mostly in line with the rib, but the comb and stock-body is offset, in your case, to the left.

Neil

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Amen, Neil! Well said..... Dan

11. Ammo222

Ammo222 Member

Mr. Winston is exactly right. Two factors matter.... "offset" and "cast". Some shooters have a facial structure that allows them to get directly behind the beads and have the right sight picture. I have a wider face and require custom stocks built with 1/2" of offset and an additional 5/8" cast. Without this offset and cast, I cannot get behind the beads without tipping my head down. An off the rack suit fits some people, others need them custom made. Gunstocks are the same. For a left hand shooter, the principle is the same, only the offset and cast is in the opposite direction as a right hand shooter. GDR

12. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I called Tron, said I had a gun that I was not sure I would keep. I wanted to
    be able to shoot left handed, but still sell to the right handed shooters.
    Tron put enough adjustment in the comb as well as an adjustable recoil pad that,
    unless you need extreme offset or cast of the comb it works well for left or
    right. So far I plan to keep it. Call Tron, he will be very upfront on what
    he can do.
    Gary Owen

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's interesting, Gary. But when you write "it works well for left or right," working well is not what I have in mind for a stock and its fit. As George Digweed titled his book, "It's got to be perfect."

Why settle for anything else? MIWEBB is going to have to do some work, probably spend some money - and so is everyone else - to get the best fit possible. Why do all that and compromise just so you can sell it to someone else, maybe?

By the way, are you any relation to the Grey Horse Troop?

Neil

14. MIWEBB

MIWEBB TS Member

Thank you for the information.

I am going to try and shoulder the left hand version again a few times later this week. Thankfully, I was able to find a Zoli Kronos Sport (left hand stock) so I will probably go down that path. Hopefully, I will not need to do any significant adjustment to obtain the "perfect fit"

It always suprises me how difficult it is to find shotguns built for left shoulder shooters. I guess it just takes a little more leg work.

15. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Or it takes a rasp or file and the guts to cut into the stock. As said above, everyone has different facial features that may prohibit you from mounting the gun to your build, and get the proper sightline down the rib. Getting a gun that fits you off the rack may not be possible if you do not have an off the rack body build. And once you get it set up and shooting great, ignore your DR or wife who tells you to lose or gain weight.

16. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Neil, you are right, fit should be perfect. Tron's work has allowed this fit for me. This is a 3 barrel small guage and I have been able to match the dimensions of my left hand 12 ga. stock.
    Gary Owen

17. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Cast, like all the other parameters of stock fit needs to be addressed by a competent fitter for a stock to fit correctly. Disregard if you will, but you will never be fitted properly unless stock fitter finds other subtle methods to get a proper fit (e.g., "swept face").

18. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

it just depends how competative you want to be, if you want to play muck around with a left handed stock off the shelf, if you want to win the best money you can ever spend is get a custom fitted stock especially as your left handed.
    jonnyd.

19. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I am a lefty. I shot factory stocks for years and spent a fortune on adj.combs and butt plate adjusters. When I broke down and had a fitted stock made, I went to the 27 and spent 20 yrs there. I have now started shooting an O/U at doubles (used an Auto) with a custom fitted stock with first good results with an O/U. It has to do with recoil and staying in the gun. If you're serious, get a stock built for you.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Listen to Neil, the stock needs to be perfect. Someone who needs offset cannot shoot a gun with the stock hitting against their jaw. Just moving the comb over will not solve that problem. The stock can only be sanded so much without getting into the stock bolt hole. When buying a gun , make double sure there is enough offset or there is enough wood to achieve enough offset. Otherwise it will just be worthless.

Search tags for this page

butt plate adjustment for right handed shooter

how important is cast on in a shotgun stock