1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Impala radiator fans go bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

02 Impala had the fan go out causing the air to stop working and car to overheat. Replacement lasted a week. There are two fans and the one on the right stopped turning both times. Is this a case of bad fans or is it in the car's electrical system? Machanic says it's the fans.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Is voltage going to the fans when it should be? If yes, the fan motor(s) has/have developed an open circuit. If there is no voltage to it/them, the cooling fan switch is open or the Powertrain Control Module has a faulty circuit and isn't commanding the fan switch to send current to the fan(s).

If the PCM is sending a signal but the fan(s) aren't running, the Malfunction Indicator Light should be on and a Diagnostic Trouble Code should be stored. If the MIL isn't coming on, either the switch or the fan motor is open.

The final possibility is a Coolant Temperature Sensor that isn't telling the PCM that the coolant temperature is high enough to require fan operation. Scanning the PCM's data stream with the engine running will answer that question.

Two things no car owner should be without in this day and age of a real shortage of skilled tradesmen are a scan tool and a DVOM (digital volt-ohm meter). With them, you could determine where the cause is in minutes.

Ed

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Fan? How many horns, brake rotors and wheel bearing have you bought? I think my mechanic had to put his kids back in public schools when I sold my POS Impala and bought a Ford.

And don't even get me started about the electric windows.

-Gary

4. joe kuhn

Ed,

Since the fan was changed and it worked for a week, doesn't that imply it's the fan? The other things you mention must be working or they're intermittant. Don't know how the machanic diagnosed. Will chat with him tomorrow.

Only dashboard light that was on was 'hot, engine temp', per the driver (not me).

Thanks for the help.

Joe

5. joe kuhn

Ed, come back! I wanted to compare your suggestions with what the machanic is doing. I'm concerned my machanic's explanation doesn't make sense.

Joe

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Here's the advice my mechanic gave me:

"Jack up the radiator cap and roll that piece of sh!t out from under it."

-Gary

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

On vehicle's with two fans, one if for normal engine operation and the second is for the A/C and will normally come on when the a/c is turned on. If the regular fan becomes inop then you should turn on the a/c and it will help to cool the engine. If it's the a/c fan that failed then don't use the a/c and it will normally allow you to drive on to your destination without overheating. Most replacement fans are rebuilt units I believe and have a higher failre rate. Jackie B.

8. joe kuhn

Thanks everyone. Ed, you too. Machanic said today the fan motor was frozen in both cases. If I had known this I wouldn't have bothered with the thread, sorry.

Joe

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Joe, I'm glad it was something that easy to find - and under warranty, too!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.