1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Impact" review

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

After spending the mornin' out shooting (28 degree's, burrrr) and getting to try out my buddy's, John, new CG Impact (made it all worth while) I came away impressed.

The one he bought is a 30" Summit model. There is a lot of tunning that can be done to these new CG's that I wasn't aware of (weight and balance adjustments)until my buddy started telling me about it. Quite a bit of thinking and designing went into this gun. It's different than the trap gun in a lot of respects.

We started with a full round of sporting clays and John shot better than he has in years. He was high man on the squad with a 78 on a very tough course, at least we all thought it was. This is a 7-10 target increase over his normal score. I'm sure that the "new gun" syndrome was in effect, but that doesn't account for all the targets gained.

John graciously allowed us all to sample his fine new shootin' iron. I shot 1 round of skeet and 1 round of 5 stand. I was using some new 1180fps 1 oz 8's STS shells for both rounds. I broke 23/25 skeet (damn station 5) and went 22/25 on the five stand.

I used the skeet targets to warm up to the gun and get acquainted with its swinging characteristics. This gun points and swings as well as any gun I've handled.

I went to the five stand and proceeded to start dissecting the target presentations like I've shot this gun all my life. The 3 targets I missed, partially, were dusted hard.

I didn't change any of the adjustments that John put in the gun (60/40 POI and balanced just a hair in front of the hinge) and the fit was just fine. I didn't get a chance to shoot any trap targets as I would have needed to reset the gun for my shooting style and that would have been inappropriet. I can see no reason why it would have fallen short here.

A couple of the guys liked it, but prefer a lower rib as their necks are on the shorter side.

The gun is a very soft shooter and well excecuted. I would like to tryout a 32" model to see if their is any appreciable difference in the handling. I believe one of these has a place in my gunsafe in the very near future. I just have to wait for the ground to thaw so I can dig up a couple of Mason Jars. Lol.

ss

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

SS,

Thanks for the review. I assume this gun had the adjustable Monte Carlo style comb?

I've never been interested in the CG guns before now, but looking at the pictures of the new Impact may just change my mind. Of course, it would have to have double release triggers for me, but I understand that is a factory option. Can the release triggers be added later?

Thanks,

Easystreet

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Easystreet,

Yes it came with an adjustable combed M/C stock. The wood was really nice for a Summit model as this is the lesser of the three grades. The bluing was very dark and rich looking, a definite improvement over the lighter "rust" blueing that they used before.

I don't know about the release trigger option. I've never had to use one yet. I'd say a dealer might have the info you need for this question.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.