1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

imformation requested

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moose!!!, Jul 15, 2013.

1. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I am member of a long time shotgun facility. In this time of our sport We are looking at expanding with a pistol range (Outdoor) for all the shotgun clubs that have or have added a pistol rage to there club I have a few questions, Concerns
    1. If you had to do it all over would you add the pistol range again?

2. have you found a good mix of people with pistol shooters and shotgun shooters?

3 For the ranges that already have a range would you get rid of it if you could?

4. Is it a good idea to have them both I guess I am only thinking of the added revenue and events we could host if we had both not all the extra stuff that goes along with the addition of a range

5 Is a pistol range easier or harder to man and operate than a shotgun complex?

6. If there is any other issues I have missed please let me know what else we need to look at or be concerned with before we get at a point of no return.

&. would a indoor facility ever justify itself with all the added cost and maintenance issues?

Thanks for your input to this concern

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you have the acreage, you might want to consider a rifle range also. Our club was forced to make a mammoth burm behind our targets of the pistol range.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My home club put in a rifle/pistol range a couple years ago.

1. Probably. The increase in memberships by rifle/pistol shooters has been a large financial benefit to the club. We went from 250 members (open membership) to 550 members (capped membership).

2. Not really. Most of the rifle and pistol shooters come and go as they please. They rarely participate in anything else at the club besides the rifle and pistol range. They drive down to the range, shoot, and drive away. The rifle/pistol guys don't participate in the social aspects of the club as much as the shotgun guys do. Its all we can do to ask them to keep their own area clean and to not destroy club assets/property.

4. Depends on the amount of people willing to volunteer at the club. If you're stretched to the limit now getting people to help, opening a pistol or rifle range will NOT help in that aspect. We ran into this problem at my club. However, due to the large influx in capital, we are simply paying people to do the jobs that were done by volunteers before.

5. The problem with the pistol/rifle range is that once you get their membership money for the year, you typically don't get any more money from them throughout the year, like you do from shotgun shooters as they shoot skeet and trap. There are repairs and maintenance that need to be accomplished throughout the year, but you don't have the steady cash flow coming in like you do from skeet and trap, so you have to draw from your reserve of cash that you built up from membership money.

6. Whatever you think it will cost to get what you want built, double or triple it. However long you think it will take to get what you want built, double or triple it. Your range cost many times the anticipated amount, and took many times longer than then expected.

It all depends on the size of your club, the demand for the facility from current and prospective members, your local competition, and how much change the club is willing to accomidate. I will tell you one thing, the entire social dynamic and shooter demographic changed dramatically. Our club changed from 50/60 year old skeet shooters to 20/30 year old tactial rifle and pistol shooters. Be prepared for those who take pleasure in nothing more than ripping through 30 round mags as fast as they can pull the trigger, without a care in the world of if they can hit a silhouette target @ 50 yards or not. Be prepared for the mall ninjas and Rambos of the shooting community. Be ready with very strict and clearly defined rules. Plan for every possible safety contingency.

Based on what I’ve seen at my club, if there isn’t a huge demand for it from your current membership, and you club doesn’t need the money that new memberships will bring in, don’t bother.