1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm TRYING here! BT thoughts....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Bought the BT-99 in Aug. and now have over 8000 rounds thru her. She's evolved into a personal item that is smoking 'em. Love this gun. (I even bought the missus a Micro for Christmas.) Have Gracoil LP, adj. comb, bbl. weight, Hi-Viz, POI 90/10, full complement of Briley ext. chokes and we're rockin' along now. Back around Sept. or so ended up stretching the rear fore end screw threads in the wood from continually needing to retighten the thing. Stock fitter drilled the wood out and placed a brass insert with machine thread/screw in it. At least I could tighten it now without trashing the wood threads. Blue lok-tite wouldn't keep it tight so after every two rounds would have to put the philips screwdriver to it and retighten. Didn't want to ship it back to Browning since I was advised the gun disappears for months on end while being corrected. Last weekend had to walk off the line with a sheared middle foreend screw and rattling wood. Pulled the broken piece out of the latch assembly and grabbed a screw out of her foreend (her foreend fit but the latch was loose and rattled). Ordered replacement screws from Brownell's ($8.00/screw!!!!!!!) Shot really well yesterday as warmup for registered shoot today and cleaning gun last night the rear screwhead falls out broken...the one the stockfitter put in. The broken screw is still in the insert. So I missed another shoot because of the crappy design. I put the foreend down on the table before I threw it thru the window and went online and looked at the Beretta 682 unsingle. $$$$$ but nice gun.

Just got off the phone with Jim the stockfitter guy and tomorrow we're going to sit down and rethink the foreend problem. Probably drill right through the wood and through-bolt/screw the iron to the wood. Not looking for a museum piece..just want to shoot the gun. It's evolved into exactly where I want the gun to be and don't want abandon it, nor do I want to abandon Browning (my buckmark tattoo on my trigger finger is in the "Show Us Your Buckmark" contest ferchrissakes).

The nagging thing here, to add to the fire, is that her foreend now requires tightening every couple of rounds. Nothing but bad R&D on Browning's part.

Beautiful, bright, windless day out there and I'm sitting here typing on the computer! Argh.

Thanks for listening. Just needed to rant and rave.

Cheers
    Bill Stengel

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I'm fookin' TRYING here! BT thoughts....

I've had this problem with several BT-99s. Poor wood to metal fit, I bedded the foreends with acraglas, cured the problem.

DB

3. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Been shooting my 99 for year with no problems,,guess you ge a lemon every once in a while,My dad had a 680 he got rid of because of nothyng but trouble,had a lujitc with a loose foreend,even seen him have trouble with his perazzi mx 2000,,like i said you get one of those once in a while.though they are all very nice firearms !and Usually lend a lifetime of fun.

4. Flench

Flench TS Member

When the forend is all together is there a gap between the wood and the Iron? Mine has that gap and it shears the back screw. Poor quality control on Brownings part. Mine is 3 yr's old.

Doyal Kirby

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Personally I would NEVER buy another Browning shotgun. Bought a XS Skeet that I loved but it shot 8" to the left. Sent it in to Browning and they said it was within Browning specs. Unfortunately they also BENT the rib while they had it in their shop. After a few months they finally replaced it so I sold it. Than I bought a BT99 Gold Clays NIB online. First time I shot it the center bead fell out. After that I looked the gun over only to be very disappointed in the QC from Browning. Besides the center bead falling out the porting holes were NOT beburred almost to the point of being able to cut yourself on them. There were other issues that slip my mind right now but I ended up getting rid of that Browning too. Browning may make a nice looking gun but they sure miss the boat on QC and service. No more Browings for me.

6. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks again for reading/responding to my tale of woe. In my real world can't imagine a K or P gun. Too much $$. Would be a Beretta methinks and the unsingle would work.

Re: the space between iron/wood. When it's cinched down tight there's no daylight but as it loosens up the gap emerges - more on the top and bottom than in the middle. Then before tightening I loosen the screws completely to push the iron back down against the wood then retighten the screws. Tomorrow's meeting with Jim will be the last fix methinks. I'm totally bummed about this. Have worked hard with this gun. Fingers crossed that I won't have to dump it. Disappointed in Browning. Went to them first because back in the 60's it was my dad's dream to own a Browning 'some day'. That stayed in my head. Was even considering the Citori XT unsingle combo. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Will let y'all know.

Bill

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Bill: I sent you an email. Don

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get a 90T and don't look back. There is an update to the forend for a problem that came up on the early ones. Other than that, built like a tank and choked for smoke.

HM

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Bill you know you can try my beretta any time you want,,,,and willie would probly let you try his browning XT,,,ps after the leauge this weekend,,,will be heading over to yapank for 5 stand,,,,getting ready for pheasant,,,I will be using my 686 at 5 stand,,,so you could shoot the 682 than

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.