Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm stuck on the 24 and getting frustrated

5K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  Bruce Em 
#1 ·
I

I've been on the 24 yard line for about a year and have been shooting in the high 80's sometimes the low 90's and I am starting to get really frustrated. Any of you back fence boys have some knowledge you wouldn't mind sharing ?

Thanks

#27 ·
Do I want to reach the 27 yard line? Sure.

If I never make the 27 yard line, will I be disappointed? Maybe, but probably not.

Will it be a tragedy? No.

Will I still have fun trapshooting? Of course. Thats what its all about. If I stop having fun shooting trap, I'll go shoot sporting clays or skeet, or take up tiddly winks.

Heck, if you're stuck on the 24 yard line, that means you're better than the guys stuck on the 20/21/22/23 yard line, and probably better than half of the guys who are on the 27 yard line who got there 10 years ago, are no longer competitive at that yardage, but refuse to take a reduction.

#28 ·

Thanks all for the advice and kind words. I have fun every time I shoot thats why I do it. But I'm also a fierce competitor and I don't feel like I'm on an equal footing if I'm on the 24 and the others are shooting from the back fence. Even if I win I feel like its a hollow victory. I was thrilled when they classified me AA at a shoot in Durham this year as I got to shoot with the Big Boys :). I've heard the your so close you have to kick the house to get them to fly out. I am not feeling a reduction at all I'll take a class and see if I can gain some insight as I have never taken a lesson just grabbed the scatter gun and stood up there and pulled the trigger. Again thanks a lot I will try all the suggestions maybe not all at once but a little at a time. This will really be my first full year shooting in my new home in NC. and hopefully I'll be competitive out there this year. Thanks again and hopefully I'll see you at one of the bigger shoots this year. If anyone knows Gary O'dell ask him to send me a PM as his phone # has changed and we were good friends back in NY.

Martin

#29 ·
You have to understand that the further you move behind the trap the more critical everything becomes to be effective. Gun fit, gun placement/holdpoints, and correct POI, foot position, and where your eyes are positioned when calling for the target are key points to address. The 24 yd line is where most that are on the move notice a hold up in acheiving further yardage. It would be hard without viewing you and your shooting to make a correct analysis.

I will offer the following to try. Increase heigth of comb 1/16". Lower gun to top roof of house. Blacken front bead. Make sure that you get a good read on target flight path (ie slow down and make sure of flight line). Make sure that you have controled and fluid movement to the target before shot execution. Try for 500 targets. If no noticeable improvement, raise comb another 1/16".

#31 ·
I "hit my wall" at 23 yards and spent 1997, 1998 and 1999 there. Then I took Phil Kiner's clinic for the first time in July of 1999 and got punched to the 27 in 2000. "All" he did was get my gun shooting where I was looking and teach me how to look for and at a target.

Ed 44-09158

#33 ·
Widomaker; Some years ago, I experienced the same problem. I shot 7000 registered targets from the 24 yd. line, then I took a clinic from Kay Ohye. Seven hundred tgts. after the clinic I was on the 27. Get some quality help and you will do just fine. Good luck and keep your head down. Clydep

#34 ·
I sure like backwoods suggestions! I was stuck at the 23.5 yrd line for 5 yrs. Finally bought a 34" P gun (TMX) and rapidly moved to the 27 yrd line. Sometimes it is the arrow and not the Indian that causes you to miss the target. Tried a TM1 for 1 yr and it did not shoot flat enough for my style of shooting. Experiment!!

#37 ·
Dumb question: Seriously, Why would you want the additional yardage?

What does it buy you ? Better squadding at ATA events? I don't know. I haven't got there yet.

Could you not "win" at your yardage?

Caveat:
I shoot 16 yd singles for practice and leagues, doubles when available, and at any yardage anyone else on the squad will try (most decline).

#38 ·
Bruce Em it,s not about money - a Trophy or any of that . It,s about what you can or can not do . If you love this game and not just love hearing the gun go off you try to better your self . You shoot for your self and only your self then you get better for your self .

#39 ·
Bruce:
I want the additional yardage because to me its the one of the golden rings of trap shooting. Its what makes me want to shoot handicap. I'm one of those people that are never satisfied and strive to get better at what ever I do. The goal is AA 27 AA. I'm not sureif I'll ever get there or get any better squadding from being on the 27 but I might get to puff out my chest a little bit knowing that I got there. I want to be able to stand up there with the big boys and shoot maybe not with them but be where they stand. I am truly amazed watching the likes of Kay Ohye,Harlan Campbell, Chris Vendel, Bradley Heath, Big Leo, Jim Stafford Robert Malmstedt break those targets from the 27. I like shooting and just want to get better at it.

#41 ·
Thank,

OK I understand. I was thinking more on the lines of shooting is a journey, not a destination. There are many small but important things that must be learned by experience. Problems and roadblocks that require thought and training to get around. Yes, the stars can align and the goal met earlier but something is lost in the deal. Troubles that will come up will be even more frustrating to deal with later. I have seen shooters rise too fast. They were doing things that got results but they really didnt know why. There is also the vexation of good results from questionable techniques. Time will bear these out. Some of these shooters burned out and disappeared.

I was bumping into the top eschelons in Pistol shooting but it was a false start. I had a long recovery and I am much much better at it now.

So, I thought I once knew, now I know I didn't know what I know now.
I am much happier for it.
best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.