1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm stuck on the 24 and getting frustrated

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by widomaker, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I

I've been on the 24 yard line for about a year and have been shooting in the high 80's sometimes the low 90's and I am starting to get really frustrated. Any of you back fence boys have some knowledge you wouldn't mind sharing ?

Thanks

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Widowmaker,

Don't feel bad about being there for a year.

It took me three years to get a punch off the 22 1/2 yard line. I finally decided to make a change after three years and tried a flatter shooting gun while up close. It worked for now.

Since my punch I've had one shoot in the low 90's and I see my old habits coming up again. I hope my stupid mistakes don't continue. Because it's me, not the gun...

Kevin

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep shooting and have fun. Punches will come. I usually get a couple of punches each year but I have to shoot 4,000 handicap targets to get them.

Pat Ireland

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I guess that is why it,s called handicap ? I have been on the 25 for a year same story . If I take a reduction I will get the yard back the next shoot . The only thing that helps is practice and lots of it . I got sick last year and did,t get the chance to go out that much . Go to a club early and shoot your yardage every week 200 or more .

I really think when you hit the 25 yard line it is handicap and you really need to work at it .

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Spend some money on a good instructor.

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Widowmaker, Is this your first time on the 24? If so, take a reduction and build up some confidence at the 23. Pretty soon you will be shooting good scores and before you know it you will probably zip right past the 24 to 25 and beyond. My biggest obstacle (30 years ago) was the 25. Larry Evans

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

widomaker, hang in there, check your gun for perfect impact when looking at the target, a new student was stuck there for years, he asked me for help, had to put cast off in his stock, and 3/16 of an inch to raise his impact , 3 months later I received a very nice letter of thanks, he had earned punches back to the 27 yd. line, check all of the items that you have control over for gun fit, it's very important! incinerate em!

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Raise your POI.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Booger has a good idea there. Here's another...

Quit shooting singles and concentrate on handicap. Shoot 200 to 700 24 yard practice handicap birds a week and you will gain on your 90 average you claim. Quit shooting singles with your buddies and doubles wihen you want to hav fun. Just shoot handicap and you will gain birds on your average. Shoot your yardage. Not 24 today and 27 wiht your buds tomorrow. Andlearn to enjoy shooting by yourself. Then you'll grow.

Here's anothe thought... Sign your name. You are asking us to comment into a vaccuum. If you are only shooting 500 handicap (ATA) targets a year, then we will know what the story is. put your number up.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Maybe if you gave the ATA your "We the People" speech as you have paid for the 24 yd line and therefore deserve the 25.

Don

11. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Im stuck on the 22 and it doesnt bother me Im having fun just shootin.

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

Don't be in a hurry. Learn your yardage and before you know it you will be on the 27 wishing you were on the 24.

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Shoot a bunch from 2 yards behind your 24 handicap distance.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ks5shooter. I'm a fan of your attitude. Keep it up

15. DON JR

DON JR TS Member

Practice 27 only, when you go to a shoot,walk out on the line and say i win.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

MIA has given great advice. As has wolfram.

I'm in that "I don't shoot enough registered to reasonably expect to move back from 24." And I've taken that reduction from 25.

I shoot because its fun.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Once a year get your prescription checked. Also,experiment with other lense colors that may help you see the bird better. Experiment with different hold points (higher/lower etc). Send Whiz White a PM, and ask him to email you his hold diagram. I don't hold according to all of his points, but it is a starting point. Most of the time it's the eyes or brain, and not the gun, hold, or load. Sometimes it's LOFT (Lack Of Frick'n Talent)

18. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Ok thanks a bunch for the info and I'll try and get out more to shoot some handicaps. I'm inpatient and want to get to the back fence. Don I'm not looking to pay for the 27 I want to earn it like everyone else I'm just not shooting well from there and am frustrated with my performance from there . Yes its my first time on the 24 and I like being there. I'll try raising the POI for the caps nothing to lose here. I do like shooting all the events though as it seems like I can support the club that way and I enjoy shooting singles and doubles.

Martin Milano #0765881

19. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Martin, in a clinic years ago Phil Kiner told me to practice 1 yard further back than my current yardage. When you do get yardage you won't feel like you are starting over. Also, a good friend and shooter told me to shoot yardage practice instead of so many singles. It seems like you can always get on a singles practice at the club but the handicap squads are few and far between.I went to about a 4 to 1 ratio. I can't tell you how much practice handicap I shot by myself, but it definetly helps and you get used to it. Also remember to SLOW DOWN your move to the target as you move back. If you don't have a Terry Jordan wall chart, get one if you are serious about this game. You'll see why when you use it. Good luck. Harv.

20. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Martin,you are still quite new to this game. Many of the better shooters shoot as many or more targets in one year as you have registered in your lifetime total at this time. Like you said you can't or do not want to buy your way to the 27. It takes a lot of time, effort, and comitment to get to the 27 and be competative there. I spent 3 years after getting to the 27 just to get to the point where I would play an entry option other than the lewis. All this being said, my advise to you is to take a shooting clinic from a well known instructor. They will school you in all aspects of the game and will save you a huge amount of time, money, and agrivation trying to work it out on your own. Hope this helps a bit, so shoot well and shoot often!

Robert Malmstedt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.