1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm starting to think my Optima plus tubes suck...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimrich60, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Beretta Optima chokes have worked ok, but these are the target chokes. Did not like the Optima Plus chokes at all (these are field bore) I have switched to Briley chokes exclusively for all my shotguns, and have never found a better choke. In my opinion, Briley simply makes the best. One thing I have noted (and like) about Briley chokes is that they seem to shoot/pattern about 1/2 choke tighter than other chokes with same markings. That is, my Mod choke seems to pattern somewhere between Mod and Imp Mod in other choke brands (especially the Beretta) I have tried. This seems true for all the chokes regardless of whether Mod, Imp Mod, Full, or even Light Mod. Perhaps it is just the evenness of the chokes that make it seem this way. Whatever the case, my Brileys just flat shoot well.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Go Briley and don't look back!!

Curt

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you are using field chokes, disregard this post.

Put your Beretta chokes on paper and analyze your breaks (Does the biggest piece usually go in the same direction?) before you spend money on something that might be no better or even not as good. My son has a Joel Etchen 687 SPII combo and I wouldn't think of replacing his Optima tubes given the way he smokes targets!

I'm a huge fan of Stu Wright's chokes, so consider this - the only choke-tubed shotguns in our gun safe that don't have Wright's tubes in them are Jason's 687 and my 1100TT. The 1100 has a Hastings high-rib trap barrel on it and Stu doesn't make chokes for those barrels or it would have them, too (although the Hastings tubes seem to pattern very well).

Speaking from my own experience, EVERY time I've thought my chokes were leaving something to be desired in the hard breaks department, I've found that the gun just wasn't shooting where I was looking or I wasn't pointing it properly. If the biggest piece of your unbroken targets usually goes in the same direction, your problem probably is not being caused by your choke tubes unless your barrel is not threaded properly and then no tube will shoot straight.

Ed

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, not to start an argument, but the Optima chokes that came with my 682 Gold E combo SUCKED. Only two of them shot to the same POI. Patterns on the .040" were nice. The .025" was not as nice. I switched to Brileys and got consistent POIs, good patterns and much less plastic buildup. If I had it to do over I would try Wright's chokes.

Choke tubes are cheap. If you are worried about yours, buy a GOOD new one and give it a shot. It would be hard to do worse than Beretta.

5. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

using Comp-n-Choke in my 687SPII and love them they choke 1/2 choke better on paper using 8's.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta optima chokes suck