1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm proud of my club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dickgshot, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

My club is the Durham County Wildlife Club located in the Research Triangle Park
    in Morrisville, North Carolina, located between Durham and Raleigh.

In the last two years we've totally rebuilt two traps, and now we're building
    a new heated, air conditioned, TV and wireless shelter by the trap fields. This in addition to the main clubhouse, and 5 stand shelter. We will be using
    the ERAD wireless release system for our registered shoots - though we have five sets of Canterbury's for everyday shooting.

Our shooting fees haven't increased. $2.50 for trap, skeet, and 5-stand. $5 for guests. We're open to members and guests every day, the public on Saturday and Sunday.

This is what a club should be, and can be, when you have dedicated individuals
    who make the effort.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Sounds like you guys did it up right, good for you

3. Ross Randall

Ross Randall Member

Make note to self. Keep this place in mind for a place to live when retired..There is also some great motorcycle riding in that area as well.

Ross Randall

4. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Nice going, good luck with your club.

Charlie

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Darn!!!!! My son lived in the R-D area for several years and I didn't know there was a club in the area. Sounds like I missed out on a good experience. Ross Puls

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Nice job.

A club should be just that "CLUB" as defined by dictionary...an organization that offers its subscribers certain benefits, as discounts, bonuses, or interest, in return for regular purchases or payments:

Alot of clubs forget this. It is about the group and helping as a group. Your bunch has got it figured out.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

why don't you publish the financials showing how you accomplished this. it can be used to show other clubs what's required..

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Durham County Wildlife club from Google Earth.

<a href="http://s1268.beta.photobucket.com/user/lfeco2/media/cid_3E29050077DE47FE98B8D1CDA5AF3A7CRickPC_zps7d5e7259.png.html" target="_blank"> cid_3E29050077DE47FE98B8D1CDA5AF3A7CRickPC_zps7d5e7259.png </a>

9. wayno

wayno TS Member

this was one of the two best clubs in the state of nc when i started shooting, back in the mid eighties.

i am very, very happy to see that the place continues to flourish. hope to get down that way, soon.

wayne harrison

10. Dickgshot

Google Earth doesn't show our fully stocked 11 acre lake and 20 acre walk-through archery range. We have a newly built pistol and rifle range as well.
    Our pro shop is open to supply shells, reloading supplies, shirts, hats, etc.
    Members have access to the club every day, all day and evenings shooting under the lights.

Currently we have 1,000 members and have temporarily stopped taking new memberships. Many members are not regular shooters, so we seldom have much of a wait to shoot. Annual dues are $ 175 for individual and family - $100 if you're over 65.

We have no paid employees, but that's not to say no "full time" employees because there are a number of retired members who have jumped in to run the club full time. The rest of us sign up for 16 hours of duty a year - usually 4 hours 4 times a year. For instance two people will work the trap fields on the weekends, collecting tokens and filling the Pat traps. Others do the same at
    the skeet fields and the 5-stand. I've done a little of everything, but currently I'm helping run the registered trap shoots.

The whole story is on our website: www.dcwc.info. Wayne graciously said this is one of the two best clubs in North Carolina, but I have shot all over the
    United States and I can say that this is one of the best clubs in the country.

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you guys throw ATA registered shoots and if so what are your shoot dates for 2013? Would like to attend.

Dave

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

$2.50/round/members, eh?

Please share with us what your club pays for targets and where they buy them. That information would be of great help to many.

Thanks.

Mike

13. Nutso

Nutso Member

Nice club, nice fee, does the club own the land? Memebership fee?

14. Dickgshot

To answer a few questions: Our club has opened up memberships again. Initiation fee is $100.

Our registered shoots are May 4, August 31, October 15, and November 2. We have
    registered skeet shoots as well. Our neighboring club, Buckhorn in Mebane,NC,
    about 45 minutes away is more of a trapshooting club, and has more registered shoots.

I don't have access to financial information right now, since I'm not in North Carolina. When I return, I'll try to get that.

We do own our property, which does help the financial picture. Our biggest
    asset, however, is the members, and that is the point I was trying to make.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Alot to be proud of.

But I know what targets cost by the time you get them airborne and $2.50 per round doesn't cover it. Kudos for making it work but the dollars have to come from somewhere - most likley other activities or perhaps you have a bunch of dues paying members that don't shoot alot of clays.

Being involved with operating a trap club can provide alot of self satisfaction and that is one aspect of our sport that many are missing out on. - Gald you are enjoying your club!

16. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Sounds like a really nice club. Ill have to slip over there a time or two and check it out when I move down there. BYG

17. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

dickgtax, you are on the right track. I am involved in a small club in Central Florida that charges $150 for family membership and $3.50 for membership trap or $5 for non member trap. We are small. Only 1 trap machine fired only on Thursday evenings. Also have a group of 25 to 100 yard berms for rifle and pistol. Our club owns the property and pays one person during all open hours as range master. Only about 700 members. No pubic rifle and pistol. Public can shoot trap on Thursday evenings.

This works great. We have a profit each year and save the money for future purchases and enhancements.

There is another club near us that charges only $5 for member targets and $7 for non member targets. This club is only $35 for family membership or $25 for single memberships. They lease the property from the county. They have 1600 members. They do not have any rife or pistol but have 3 trap fields, 2 skeet sites and one 5 stand site. Very reasonable and great. Really nice people running it.

Another club near here is very active in shotgun, rifle and pistol. This club is very active in all shooting sports. Great place. Reasonable prices. $150 bucks a year and $5 membership targets for trap, skeet and five stand. They also have a short inexpensive sporting clay event on each Saturday morning. Property leased from the county.

There is another club about 1.5 hours away that is also great and reasonable but a little more expensive for targets. About 100 acres. I do not know if they lease or own the property.

We get our targets for about $2 per round of 25.

There is another range in South East Florida that is about $4000 to join and $1000 or so per year with a club house that looks like where the very wealthy live. It is great looking. Much higher target prices and great.

Take your pick here.

It just takes the right people to run the clubs and push things through.

It sounds like dickgtax's club is on the right path.

18. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Looks like a very nice well organized club. I am blessed to have several clubs here in the area, perhaps not quite on par as yours, but very nice non the less.

19. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Nice website too!

http://www.dcwc.info/index.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.