1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Just say'in

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootertoo, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

I

Let me say first, I understand that kids are the future of our sport in trapshooting and that it will probably be one of them that keeps our trap club going when i'm too old to do it anymore but I've grown sick and tired of standing, ( in the sun most times ) while these kids parents,grandparents,coaches,etc. take up all the seating. Kid entering our sport is a good thing but are disrupting the flow of many shoots. Another thing, while I'm at it, it disgusts me to see these parents wiping their ass, caring their guns and shell bags for them every where they go, cleaning their glasses and anything else that you can think of. I was at a night shoot at a local club the other night when i noticed a parent walking back and forth looking on the ground. I ask him if he had lost something. Yes,he said, my boy lost his shooting glasses somewhere. His boy was sitting on the bench under the canopy. I ask his dad why his boy wasn't looking for them. He finally made him help. There was in the day more to learn about trapshooting other than how to break targets. Respect for your elders, discipline, respect for other competitors, attitude, just to name a few. When I joined the ATA back in the early 70's, you were required to have a life member sign with you. You'd better have your nose clean, so to speak, or you were out of luck but things were a lot different then. Maybe I'm a little jealous of the opportunity kids have today. I just hope they and their parents appreciate it! I'm just say'n.

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have to agree on this one, and it goes a lot farther than trap shooting. All the grandkids really want to do is sit in front of the computer. To get them to do anything else seems like such a big chore that it's almost not worth it. And ordering them around doesn't seem right either. took the middle granddaughter to a horse show the other day. All I heard was "I want one" until we explained that this was impossible. All interest was lost at that point. I could go on , but I'm just another old guy bitchin' about kids these days...oh well Bill

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's a shame you crapped on a large group of youth who do not fit your stereotype profile. As an assistant coach of a youth team I find the large portion of youth shooters (at least in our general area) do not fit into the harsh class you placed them. I could think of some adults who lack proper guidance but I'm certainly not gonna say all adult shooters are in that group. Remember also, it's not the kids who are to blame, it's the parents that raised the kids without proper etiquette who you should be targeting.

We take the teaching of proper etiquette and respect in the sport very seriously with our youth shooters. Most all of the fellow coaches of the other local teams are also on board. Our youth shoots and shoots with kids mixed in run very smoothly because of this.

You will always have people with no etiquette or respect and we have some locally. That said you can't lump them all into one group because of the actions of a few.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Come on, the kids can't help it if their parents are idiots. Just be glad there ARE some kids interested in trapshooting. With the expense of it in this economy, and the way public schools brainwash kids about guns being evil, I'm pleased to see kids at the range.

The only thing that bugs me is extreme fidgeting or blatant discourtesy when the kids are actually on the line. Thankfully, that's pretty rare.

-Gary

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not too mention those running 200's while most of us struggle...

6. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Matt,

Yuo are exactly right. It is the parents. Our kids on our team, all 25 of them are responsible for getting thei guns, range bags and all accessories to the field they are shooting on. When we are at a major shoot, the parents set up the canopies and get the drink coolers to the canopy, but the kids are responsible for their equipment.

7. atanra

atanra Member

I classify and squad at ATA shoots. The parents come up and dont allow the kids to speak for themselves at all. Asked a young gentleman his normal score in practice on 16s and mother answered before he could. Asked what he was shooting today mother answered before he could. Mother informed me he was already in a squad when asked what position he liked to shoot. I asked which squad mother answered with the other juniors. Parents please give the kids a chance to stand on their own. Help them, dont overwhelm them. Make shooting a positive fun experience for them. Allow them to be an individual. Stand to the side if they need you they will ask quickly. Give them a chance they will most likely get it right and they will gain confidence. If they make a mistake it is part of life and at a trap shoot we can fix it. I would also add bring a chair to the smaller venues so the shooters can have a seat in the shade too.

8. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

THANK YOU ATANRA

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

well said Matt!

blade819

10. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

My grandson turned 13 this year. He helps at our trap and skeet club on weekends. He just passed his
    apprentice hunting course so he can hunt with me in the fall. I bought him a new winchester SX 3 20 ga
    youth model for being such a great kid. He earns his own money cutting grass for the old vets on his
    block. Spends his free time out doors and not on the computer or in front of the TV. You bet I am proud of him !!!
    Jim

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

It's the grandparents, actually great grandparents who started the downward spiral with todays generation, that's you and me by the way, us the baby boomers and silent generation. We made it way to easy for our kids and they in turn make even more easy for theirs. Sure there a lot of great youg people who have manners are helpful and work hard for what they want and are a pleasure to be around. Conversely there's a whole group three generations deep who expect to be cared for, have no regard for others and are constantly complaining about everything and everyone. These people think they're special believing they have rights over and above everyone else. Who taught them this behavior????? Look in the mirror

On avarage, I rather shoot with most youth shooters, they have it more together than us old guys..........

If you can't find a seat, bring a folding stool and big hat, problem solved.

Surfer

12. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

It's hell to get old isn't it !!! Just enjoy your time left. Glenn Allison

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

it's just like grntitan says. There will always be all kinds.Jeff

14. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

My 2 cents.
    I'm not old, and I do have a 2 yr old son who has already been to the club a couple of times.

But im with you guys. Here in Australia, 2 people our of your squad are required to referee and score the next squad in your layout. It pisses me off when there's a kid who's had everything handed to them on a silver spoon their whole lives, shoots then one of their parents comes and scores or refs for them!

The little turds most of the time go sit in their car on their iPods iPhone's etc( that was given to them too) while the parents are doing their chores, then the parents come running back to pat them on the head and ask them if they would like a soda or whatever.

If they want to be part of our sport, or society in general, their folks need to let or make them involved in things. God help us all if their precious little gems might have to take responsibility for their actions!!

15. grntitan

"......... as long as he pulls his pants up past the middle of the crack of his ass."

A lot of plumbers are offended by this statement. Like father like son. :)

16. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

You don't think that the youth get annoyed by it to, its kinda embarrassing when your mom does that stuff . The only reason why they do it is because they care for their kids. How do you know for a fact that the kids were handed an iPod, say that to a kid that worked hard for the stuff they have and they should have every right to get pissed off, but you know what most off them won't because they have more self respect then to do that.

17. geeber

geeber Member

That's not much worse than a bunch of old farts taking up bench space with their shell bags and other old farts sitting there watching but not shooting. If I'm sitting there waiting for the squad ahead of me to finish, I'll stand somewhere else so they will be able to sit and rest for a couple minutes between traps at least.
    Gary B.

18. FRO

FRO Member

Hay maybe grntitan willread grntitan post here,and not lump all ohio shooters with Brad.JUST SAYIN

19. grntitan

AFRO,

I do not lump all OH shooters with Brad. I in fact shoot the Grand on a squad we put together with some very nice fellas from OH. I also have several good friends on here from OH. You reap what you sow. With that pissy attitude though, you will lump right in real good.

Just Say'n....

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Somebody wannna 'splain to this boy what the he££ "I'm just sayin'" means?

Every time I hear somebody say that it sounds like they're apologizing for having an opinion!

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.