1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm going to Fly Fish The Madison in Montana Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yvonne, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I

I'm going Fly Fishing to Cameron Montana in July to fish the Madison River. Air, cabin and car are all set. I need tips! Never been fly fishing except locally. What to bring ~ what flies to buy, etc! YAY, I'm excited :)

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Have fished the upper drainages and caught more fish (trout, grayling and whitefish galore) on a wet wooly worm than anything.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

good flyshops in West Yellowstone, they'll tell you what works.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Hire Micky Wooten from Madison River outfitters in West Yellowstone and tell him that Charley and Bob from the Michigan Fly Fishing Club recommended him. He will put you on fish, it doesn't matter what time of year. I usually go in early August and use lots of caddis and hoppers. This time of year---ya better ask. From Slide In fly shop to about Lyon Bridge is not wadeable because of the current however, down from Lyon all the way to Ennis is ok. Inside the park is another good pick. Just remember---within an hour or so drive from Cameron there is about 2000 miles of fishable rivers, and a few lakes too.
    Charley

If you want to email me I can supply more info.

5. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

DO NOT,I repeat, DO NOT try to wade and fish the Madison at the same time! Wading the Madison is akin to walking on greased bowling balls. If you see hoppers flying around as you walk to the river tie one on and fish from the bank out 3 feet. Use 2X or 3X tippet. Don't worry about trying to put the hopper on the water quietly. Splat it down, just like a hopper lands in the water. The Browns will be quick to the take so be ready. You will need to get good drifts with no drag. Take a 5 weight, 9 foot rod and before you go practice casting in the wind with the wind coming at you from all sides. Yes, the wind blows in the Madison Valley.
    If the shops tell you that the Madison isn't fishing well, take their advice and fish other rivers.
    Talk to Arrick Swanson in Arrick's Fly Shop. Read the fishing reports on his website. Tell him Pat from Albuquerque said hello.

Pat

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

PatMiles, Greased bowling balls is putting it mildly. I been there and been wet!!!

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

All I have to say is pack your rods in a very well built rod case. Green Peace will distroy your gear if they have a chance to.

8. PatMiles

Say what! Greenpeace?

Pat

9. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

I've fished several miles of the Madison, below Quake Lake with an excellent guide from West Yellowstone (Madison river Outfitters). Rule #1. Fish early. The wind comes up every day around noon and the fishing shuts off. Rule #2. Don't worry which flies to bring. No matter what you have, the fish are feeding on something else but the guide have "magic" flies for sale. Rule #3. Float the river. Wading is super slippery and the fish are someplace else.

Have a wonderful time. It is a great river. While you're there, try to spend a day on the Henry's Fork section at Railroad Ranch. In my opinion, the best trout water in the lower 48.

10. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

All lthe above advice is great. If you have the time make a trip in to the Park and fish the Gibbon below the falls in the morning with pale blue duns for spectacular cutthroat and rainbow, and olive duns in the evening for the same. The Fire Hole is another excellent river in the park for some cutthroat.
    Fishing any river or stream in that part of the country is spectacular.

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

There are lots of good fly shops/guide services in West Yellowstone. Another, in Idaho Falls, which is one of your closer airports to West Yellowstone, is Jimmy's All Season Anglers. The web site above has fishing reports on all the famous trout waters in the area, and a call to them will give you unbiased reports on where it's hot and what's effective. They could also probably refer you to good guides for any area. In addition to all the great waters mentioned above, there is the South Fork of the Snake, with the canyon section within about 50 miles of Idaho Falls, and Silver Creek, about 100 miles away.

12. PatMiles

If you have the time the Grizzly Bar serves some good grub. Last time I was in there I brought some green chili. Locals thought I was nuts. After passing some around I thought I was going to get mugged for what little I had left.

Pat

13. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

All great tips and advise! WHAT kind of wading boots should I be looking at? I know some allow felt, some recommend lugs, spikes, etc. I've bought some flies from Grizzly Hackle and a friend is tying me some :) I have a 5 wt and a 6 wt rod....sufficient?

14. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Studs are almost mandatory. Buy your flies when you get there. The local shops will know better than we do in February

15. PatMiles

Take both of the rods. The 6 weight will work better in the wind. Do you have any wading boots now. I suggest chest waders that can be rolled down to your belly button for some of the pools at bankside you will wade through. DO NOT try to wade ANY deep fast water! If you have one, take a wading staff. Sew a BIG button on both shoulders of the shirt or vest you'll be wearing so you can flip the wading staff (on a lanyard) over your shoulder to keep it out of your way. Let it hang behind you.

Pat

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't forget your husband, for those chilly nights. GRIN--Ross Puls

17. MRMOKI

MRMOKI Member

If you decide to get to West Yellowstone, Blue Ribbon Flies owned by Craig Mathews is a great fly shop that has access to exceptional guides. Craig has written several great books (and DVD's) on fishing in Yellowstone country. He is a master fly tyer and the quality of materials he sells is exceptional. Blue Ribbon posts the fishing conditions on a board outside their shop unlike many shops where you have to go inside. I have used them as guides several times. Especially good result on Hebgen Lake and the gulpers. Quake Lake is fun in a float tube at dusk. The Madison is tough water and requires a good guide. Access is tricky and limited due to a lot of private property. You will be near Ennis and there are good fly shops there, but it has been a few years since I have been there. The key to the area is understanding that the fishing conditions change rapidly and that different hatches require different flies. If you are in the area for the opening of the Yellowstone upper river in late July, that can be a lot of fun (although a lot of people fishing as well. Have fun.
    Jim Lemmons

Also, Craig Mathews used to have some women guides and has handled women's groups and classes.

18. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

+1 for Craig at Blue Ribbon, He is a first class guy and will put you in the right direction. I will give you some sound advice as I have fished the madison numerous times. Most of your east coast flies will work in the west. For nymphs: take a standard selection of PTs, caddis larva, sanjuan worms and some scuds. Remember the madison is a tailwater and if you are fishing below hebgen dam, sanjuans will work all the time. For dries a good selection of caddis flies, in sizes 12-18 in tan and black will be fine, Also a few stimulators. In July I don't think you will see to many hoppers, maybe a few small ones. Don't count out streamers, and other dries: midges, and some standards BWO, PMD and a Yellow Sallie or two. Depending on what time in July you are going the flows might still be high (early) I fished the 8 days over the fourth last year and everything was blown out but they did have extremely high snowpack last year. If that is the case fishing right below hebgen dam is awesome and can easily be fished from shore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.