1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Doomed - Need help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grnberetcj, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yep...I'm doomed.

To make a long story (soap opera type) short, I am the "father figure" for my grandson (age 7) and granddaughter (age 5) due to my daughter's divorce from her deadbeat husband. The kids live with us full time, so my wife and I are parents (again)...sure was alot easier 30 years ago!!

This weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun), I'm taking my grandson to the Cub Scout's first spring camping trip to Camp Rodney, MD. I'd like to state for the record that I have not slept out in a tent since my Vietnam days, May 1967. So, I'm a novice camper and need assistance from you seasoned campers...

I have purchased a Coleman 9' x 11' (6 person) Dome Tent, bought good quality tent stakes, tarp for extra ground cover, extra tent cord, battery operated mattress inflater, battery op. lighting and the necessary bug sprays, etc.

Ok...what am I missing? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ear plugs and ambien.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sleeping bag(s)

Shovel

Wyoming Saw

Flask of Jack

Water or water purification equipment

Sense of adventure and a few camp fire stories

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

toilet paper, mouthwash, copper wire to turn the campfire flames green

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I envy you. It will be quality time that you will never forget

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lap top computer. HMB

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I think Barfin has it covered with a flashlight, but if you have a gas lantern, that may not be a bad thing to have along. Depending on the weather forecast some raingear for you and your grandson and some cheap plastic ponchos for those less prepared could be a good thing to have along also so you can make the most of it in crappy weather.

Sounds like nervous fun. John

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I'm with cuban, also I'll echo what Sean said, often times the food presented on these outings leaves a little to be desired. Barfin also had some excellent suggestions. Since it is likely this won't be your only outing, pay attention to what some of the veteran campers use. Also, start a list of things you missed and things you did'nt need and keep in mind, sometimes less is more. As you gain experience, the enjoyment will grow.

Robert

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

As a treat for the kids with breakfast, try this, quick and easy recipe for fresh donuts.

Take a tube of canned biscuits, the regular ones, not buttermilk. Open the tube and sperate the biscuits. Poke a hole through center with your finger and stretch them a little to make them donut shaped. Heat about 1/2" of oil in a skillet and fry the biscuits until golden. Remove them from the grease, lay them on a paper towel to cool just a tad and drain, then drop them in a zip lock bag full of sugar and shake.

You'll need to keep the biscuits in a cooler until ready to use. Using a ziplock bag for the sugar means you can just reseal it, making clean up much easier.

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

You need to go armed with the knowledge that your 6 person tent will be comfortable for 2 or MAYBE 3 people.

I dunno how they figure the capacity...they must use dwarfs.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

First-Aid kit. Wayne

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

If you don't have to pack the stuff a good distance from your vehicle and it will just be the two of you in the tent, you might consider getting a camping cot to sleep on. They are much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, even with an air mattress.

13. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Sounds like fun. I hope you keep us posted on how it turns out. Keep that camera handy!!!

Rich in Indiana

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Jose Cuervo.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dotto on camping cot!!! A bathroom is a must somewhere,even a bucket will work. I now prefer pulling up the RV next to the kids tents to cut down on the walking back and forth. LOL You'll forget something the first time anyway. First aid kit,extra food, drinks charcoal and marshmellows, and how about something relaxing for you (reading, TV, ect.) in the afternoon while the kids are running around and you need to rest. A good camera that fits in your pocket to carry at all times a must. Enjoy your time with the kids. Break-em all. Jeff

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Plenty of large zip-loc bags for your dry clothes and a few extra to bring the soiled clothes home in. Might be a good idea to make sure you have some decent and comfortable hiking boots. Pack those in plastic too. Bring an extra pair of shoes/sneakers, etc, since you will probably get the first pair wet. Same for the grandson. Some sort of a water bottle or canteen that is easily carried is a great idea for both of you. Carry a pack of waterproof matches.

Other than that, just have a good time and remember to take plenty of pictures!

17. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

A portable radio with cd built in, with fresh batteries.

A waterproof container full of safety matches.

They make some very nice inflatable queen size air mattresses that are like 14 inches thick. they come with a battery powered inflation pump. (great for on the ground).

High fiber snacks, fresh water

Oh....and someone to haul all the stuff!! Or you could pull a trailer...about 30' fith wheel would work:<)

I hope that you have much fun and keep your sense of humor. Enjoy!

Capt. Bud

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, sorry to hear about the deadbeat ex-son-in-law. That stinks. You're a good man for taking over his job.

19. andybull

andybull Active Member

A Sirius Satellite Radio.

20. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

You're not doomed, you can do it!

Gander Mountain sells a nice 6 1/2 foot cot. Get one, make sure it's long enough for you. If you buy the 6 footer and you are 6 feet tall, you won't be comfortable.

Top it off with a thin (1 inch) self inflating air mattress.

Take a couple Tylenol pm and you'll sleep fine.

My Scout leader always said the two most important things you need while camping are a Swiss Army knife and a roll of duct tape. I agree they're pretty valuable.

Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.