1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Concerned - Federal Papers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Aug 26, 2013.

1. In plain view

In plain view Member

I

For those of you who shoot the Federal Papers beware of a possible problem with the hulls. I have been shooting the papers for some time now and after shooting yesterday I had 6 out of 100 shells that had part of the crimp missing after firing. This seems to be the norm lately but what has me dumbfounded is that when I got home and placed the empties in another bin I found a hull that was only half there...I still have the bottom piece and have no idea what happened to the large top piece. I can't imagine it went out the end of the barrell as I'm sure I would have noticed it when I took the hull out of the gun and into my shooting cart. I'll try and get a picture of the hull on here but the mystery where the top piece went continues. By the way the shells were factory and if you shoot them keep a close eye on the empties. Bob in Los Angeles

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

What load are you shooting?

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

Have you called Federal yet? If not please do quickly.

4. In plain view

In plain view Member

Zard: I guess what makes me skiddish is what happened to the other half of the hull. I cant imagine the top half went out with the wad but even though I'm touching 77 I think I would have seen this mass leaving my barrel. Whats more scary is the fact that I pull all hulls and never let them hit the ground so why didnt I notice this half hull? If it was a full hull when I put it in my cart where did it go by the time I got home? Hitapair: They were factory 2 & 3/4 dram, number 7 1/2 shot. Ive had these shells for close to a year and properly stored in my garage here in So. Cal. Zard: See you on 9-07-13. Bob

5. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

thats why i dont use them in my m12. Yes if its break open gun.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

How many loads are on the hulls? Maybe the hull split after you took it from the gun.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob, I am not sure why you did not notice the short hull as well, but I can tell you first hand after 8-10 Win.AA 410 hulls pulled apart at the base upon firing, that you can't see the plastic piece very much. The entire plastic part of the shell with the wad and shot go down the barrel in one piece. I broke one target with one. LOL. There is no difference in sound or anything, until you open the gun and only the brass base come out. You can look down the barrel and there is nothing stuck, so you just continue on. That's why its important to inspect each 410 hull before you load it for the weak/ or slightly split one's around the bases. We call these 410 loads whistlers. Good Luck with your paper Fed's. break em all. Jeff

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

When I shot the GWG in Reno years ago we had a similar problem with the ends of paper shells blowing off. Fed. and Win. Super Target.

They told us it was because the humidity was so low the shells were too dry.

Just a thought.

I never had a problem after that incident.

Regards....Gerald

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hookedonshooting----I shoot them in my 31TC (when I can get some) Just blow in the loading\ejection port after you eject & "check" the empty, & watch for a puff of smoke. This was standard procedure when I 1st started shooting & reloading as all shells were paper, and most of us shot 31s--M12s--870s--1100s. That puff tells you that your bbl. is clear. I would do that now too "IF" I were to shoot any new type AAs. Now as to what happened to the front 1\2 of your shell I haven't any idea, I have had papers lose a segment of the crimp but that didn't cause any problem that I could detect, just tossed that hull. Ross Puls

10. pfofml

pfofml Member

In Plain View,
    It is difficult to believe that a paper hull, when seperated from its base could travel out the barrel with the wad and shot. The following happen to me many years ago while shooting pigeons flushed out a barn. I was shooting paper hull reloads, which probably reloaded many time past thier prime. I shot a pigeon at about 30 yards. That shot caused feathers to be shredded from the bird. Unpon close inspection of that pigeon I saw that its body was tore up as those it were killed off the end of the barrel. Aslo upon ejecting the spent shell only the brass base popped out. Barrel inpection showed no sign of the missing paper tube. What could have happened to cause the shot to stay together and hit the target as though it were a single projectile? I have not ever had a good explaination to this occurance.
    Peter