1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm changing Trapshooting...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cdconley, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Let's see if I can recap your statement. Save trap by shooting less. Does that sum it up?

2. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

How do you shoot 12and one half pairs of doubles. D Winter

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

How about going to .410 (1/2 oz. of shot) to really increase the challenge and fun and cut down on reloading costs? I know, I know, it isn't fun unless you break 100 at the 16 yard line. Luckily, I have about 2,000 .410 empties left over from skeet and they reload about 6 times. Most .410s are already full-choke and 21 yards would be equivalent to the 27. Think about it while you're paying $40+ a bag for shot. Let's see...with 1 oz. loads you get 400 shots from a 25 lb. bag; with 1/2 oz. loads you get 800. Gee, how can this be bad? Stand by, someone will tell us - soon. Best Regards, Ed

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Big Tuna,

Shooting steel, I get only enough to equal 1/3oz so I'd get 1200 loads/25#! And steel is only $25/25#.

Good from 16 yards, but not much more!

Jay Spitz

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jay,

How is the load development going with the .410 and steel? Seems like last time that came up you were still experimenting.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use a BB gun and save even more.

HM

7. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Let's see now, the club will take in 1/2 the fees, now if we can only get the tax assessor, insurance man and propane supplier to cut their costs in 1/2 we have a good plan. glenn

8. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Lets all shoot em with .22s. Then we can save even more. Recoil problems will disappear. Hmmmm 30 round mags....three shots per target...Hey ya'll, watch this!!!LOL Todd

9. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

I think some of the smaller clubs may fold because alot of shooters ( around here anyway )are cutting back and picking one or two days to shoot per week instead of 3 to 5 days. the sport is probably not going to grow over the next few years due to young shooters not willing to spend the money it costs now to shoot alot.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yeah, the price of shot is thru' the roof but lets put it in perspective?

Typical day of ATA shooting, 100, 100 & 50 pair------I'll send about 20 lbs of shot downrange. At todays shot prices that's about $25 worth of shot per day, $50 for a two day shoot.

Planning to fly over to Great Falls next weekend to shoot, prob'ly take about 38 gallons of avgas roundtrip x $4.30= $163.40-------, two nites in a hotel another $160 or so? Rent-a-car for a couple days another $80-------

We've already got over $400 invested and we haven't even entered the shoot yet. Enter up & play a few options------couple hundred dollars? Now we're up to over $600 and that ain't countin' the cost of whiskey and steak dinners!

And I should shoot 7/8 ounce loads so I might save $10 on the cost of shot?? I don't think so.

John C. Saubak

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

John....you just gotta quit using common sense...sheesh!!!

We (wife & I) attended the Eastern Zone last week in Elysburg. Between us, we used 7 flats of new shells ($40.00 per), stayed 4 nights at a decent motel ($75.00 per night), approx. $100.00 in gas, approx. $350.00 eating out, 4 days entry fees (less options) for 2 persons = approx. $425.00 (w/o options)......and we were only 2 people out of a capacity crowd each day.

It appears to me that the larger shoots will prevail and shooters that really enjoy the sport may opt for more and less expensive practice/games/leagues shoots to fill the void between.

I personally enjoy the shooting day when the club throws 400 targets.....half day/reduced targets don't interest me much.

Curt - Delaware

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

old doc,

12 1/2 pairs of doubles, huh? That's about what I break anyway!

Danny

13. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

For 16s, I say limit loads to 7/8 oz (but make them as hot as you like), move the targets from 2 out to 4 hole, crank them up to around 50-55 mph, and get rid of 200 bird events and just shoot at 100 birds. Handicap would be the same as singles, except you could use 1 oz loads. Doubles? Leave the same as they are now, except limit loads to 7/8 oz.

~Michael

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Sounds like some great ideas except for the ones listed so far.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I agree.....

Let's play the game as it was designed.

If it is to be changed, then a new and improved trapshooting assoc. can be instituted.....and let's name it:

SMTA......"Sissy Modified Trapshooting Assoc."

Then it can be merged with the NSSA and there would be no transition at all!!

Ok..boys & girls, have at it...flame away, after all it's Friday!!

Shoot well this weekend.

Curt - Delaware

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

How much will it cost to save money going to 7/8oz 12ga target loads?

I mean in development...the factories and reloads have the 1oz and the 1 1/8oz loads down pat. How long and how much $$ would it take to arrive at 7/8oz loads that most people are satisfied with?

The people who want to save money on shot can shoot 7/8oz loads now. Those who don't, don't have to. Sounds like democratic freedom at its finest.

Encourage more participation by enacting more restrictive rules? Never worked that way in the past.

You'd have better luck with a "maximum gauge: 20" rule......i.e. none at all.

17. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

History is repeating itself in trap...the same thing has already happened in skeet. The big skeet shoots still attract quite a few shooters, but the numbers are down; the smaller shoots have virtually died out...too few shooters and costs too high to run them. State shoot attendance is 'way off. Trap has a much larger population, but the unmistakable trends are there...big shoots are attended, but by fewer shooters; small club shoots going away; costs going up; fewer and fewer new participants; and old timers giving up the game. Ideas in how to encourage participation get flamed and stomped: "play the game the way it was designed!" That is fine...but the only way to keep the slippery slope from getting worse is to try to change a few things to keep people in the game - reduce costs and (or) offer more exciting shooting events...naah, no one will like it. Oh well, I will keep shooting for fun (maybe less and less to keep costs reasonable). Best Regards, Ed

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Wolfram:

Still experimenting!

Right now, we're working on a loading setup - the biggest problem we faced, which created the initial lack of uniformity in the loads, was the shot drop - #7 in the MEC just bogged down in the .410 drop tube.

Fortunuately, the volume of .410 we anticipate shooting will not be great, so the realization may be we'll have to "handload" the shot using a dipper/funnel method.

Once we can get the shells loaded uniformly, we'll better be able to test for pressure and speed - keep you updated.

Jay Spitz

19. Pugs

Pugs TS Member

The small club I belong to here in Michigan just published it's August newsletter: so far this year membership is down 34%. With the price of reloading components going up as it has, the future does not look to bright for the club I've belonged to for over thirty years. My income will not support the wildly increasing costs of this game. Trapshooting has allowed me to have a great deal of fun over many years but I may have to take Kenny Rogers advice of "know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away and know when to run"

20. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Sparrow, I hear this time after time. Thanks, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.