1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm anxious to try my 725 Sporting out on trap...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Slugo, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slugo

Slugo Member

just got it yesterday. The gun feels so natural and such a big improvement over previous 12 gauge Citoris. Nice new DS choke system, 32" lightweight barrels and mechanical triggers. I'm hoping to run the table, at least for one round...

2. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

what no pics?!

3. Slugo

Slugo Member

I'll take a few, but it certainly isn't anything special. Thanks though...

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What shape of forend does it have?

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Shoot's to flat for trap.

6. Slugo

Slugo Member

wireguy, here, look for yourself. Not my picture, but same 725 Sporting...

7372631120_8baa5751df_b_d.jpg

and it's not too flat of a shooter for ATA trap. That's silly to think that...

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Best of luck...hope its a smokeballer for you

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It looks to be more hand filling, not as narrow as a schnabel.

9. Slugo

Slugo Member

I'll post some info after I shoot a few rounds of 16 yard...

10. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Sky Buster is right..it may shoot low for Trap...unless that's what you like.

The new 725, the new Maxus and the new A-5 shoot 0" high according to a Browning tech(Rudy)I spoke to in Missouri a while back. First year for 0" high too..

Accordong to my questions he said ...Previously all Brownings have shot 3" high for the last 100 years. (disclaimer is plus or minus 3")

Except Trap guns which shoot 6" high (also plus or minus 3").

Best regards...

Stan

11. Slugo

Slugo Member

thanks Stan, I guess we'll find out soon. I have both high and low rib target guns in my collection. I shoot either equally well at 16 yards. Handicapped may be a different story...

12. StansCustoms

Slugo..

The plus or minus three inches may be the kicker...I don't know not having shot one.

What he was referring to is the POI in either the high or low rib guns...

Even the low rib guns up till now have supposedly have the POI set a little high.

I shoot Brownings exclusively...and have a 625 as well as skeet and trap models, and was considering a new 725 myself.

Good luck and keep us posted.... then we'll all have some "first hand" information on this relatively new model.

Best regards..Stan

13. Slugo

Slugo Member

Stan, I was using a Browning B325 for years. Bought it new back in 93. Also had a Lightning Sporting Clays hi-rib. Both 30" guns. Shot both equally well, no matter what clay sport I was shooting. On the Lightning I used to float the target a little higher than I did the 325. I still have the 325...

7294011334_f7187c98c5_b.jpg

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Remember, no two shooters are alike. The distance from your cheekbone to your eye socket determines the height of your eye above the rib. The higher your eye, the higher your poi will be. The gun may shoot flat if you see flat down the rib when you mount it. That said, my 725 shoots about 70/30 for ME right out of the box. I see a fair amount if rib on mine.Take it to the pattern board and see where the gun shoots for YOU. You can always have an adjustable comb added if you find it is too low.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

15. StansCustoms

Exactly Ken..combs make them easy to dial in.

Browning was referring to actual point of impact being lower, all other things being equal....from earlier guns to the three mentioned above.

Making a gun shoot higher is very easy with a comb...sometimes I have trouble going lower though....especially with a Monte Carllo non adjustable stock. Then the stock has to be shaved down a smidge for me.

Out of curiosity ...how high does a BT99 or something similar pattern for you...since the 725 hits 70/30? (With the Beads in the same position on both guns)

Best regards..Stan

16. Slugo

Slugo Member

like this!

7400447132_6632a7567f_b.jpg

adjustable combs are OK on parallel comb guns, not on field style stocks. Just another thing to fiddle with...

17. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The Browning factory comb is junk. Buy the plain stock and have your favorite stock guy do the comb.

Ken Rucker

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

100% on what Ruck said...a good aftermarket comb is the only way to go compared to the Browning comb...the rest of the gun is excellent...if they would only go back to the old 90's style original adjustable it would be a winner right out of the box

19. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

So the guys at Browning say their guns shoot 3" high and the trap guns shoot 6" high (plus or minus 3"). Well, I've got an XT here that defies what Rudy said. If he doubts me, come to the eastern shore of Maryland and I'll demonstrate it, or better yet, let him try it. Now I'm not calling ol' Rudy a storyteller or anything, I just think I've got the exception to the rule. I think this thing shoots about 20/80. I have to cover the bird and lead through it at 16 yards. First Browning I couldn't hit squat with. And I own 15 of them (counting the XT). She's going out to get an adjustable comb shortly.

20. StansCustoms

Interesting...

I reciently purchased a XT also..patterns a little high as expected...came with a adjustable Browning comb that all I did to was kick it over to the right a smidge.

What I did need was a adjustable pad (Country Gentleman, Jerry Nelson did mine), and I bought a Browning comb hardware replacement from Graco. However the gun is hitting sooo good...I'm afraid to mess with the comb or anything for that matter..

I have a great older Bt-99 that I love and thought I couldn't do better with...now I'm not so sure. This XT is different...but seems more consistant somehow. Maybe the weight is something I needed without realizing it??

Good luck with your XT...hopefully the comb will cure it's issues. If it does ..I think you will really like it.

Best regards..Stan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.