1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm always proud to be an American, but ....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ysr_racer, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I'm always proud to be an American, but this last July 4th I was especially proud. My wife and I went to a Los Angeles Angel's Baseball game. They were playing the Toronto Blue Jays.

Before they sang our National Anthem, they sang "O Canada", Canada's National Anthem.

The crowd was respectful, but reserved.

When they sang our National Anthem, the crowd went wild.

When the young lady sang "and the rockets red glare", red rockets exploded over center field. When she sang "the bombs bursting in air" aerial bombs went off. When she finished singing, the grounds crew unfurled an American Flag that literally covered the entire outfield.

Afterwards came the announcement, "Ladies and gentlemen, please turn your attention to the sky above center field."

There it was on the horizon, big and ugly, flying low and slow. As it got closer, the ground started to tremble. As it passed overhead the skies darkened and the earth shook.

A Canadian woman sitting next to me (with a look of terror on her face) covered her ears and shouted "My G-d, what is that thing."

I turned to her and said, "That my friend is the sound of freedom."

If you've never been underneath a C-17 cargo plane when it does a low speed flyover, it's like standing behind a 747 at takeoff.

Like I said, I'm always proud to be an American, but this last July 4th I was especially proud.

Whether you agree with the war or not, please remember our troops don't make foreign policy, they enforce it.

If you see a serviceman and you're not sure what to say, do what I do. I simply extend my hand and say "Thank you."

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Amen.

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I was in Bangor, Maine for a sea duck hunt. We flew into the airport and waited for our bags to clear. This is one of the main ports for service men arriving back from the middle east. The locals have a band at the airport 24/7 to greet the new arrivals. Gave me goose bumps. Wives greeting husbands, kids seeing their dads for the first time in who knows how many months, and parents welcoming their kids homw. This is best damn country in the world.

4. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

When I read the beginning of the thread I had reservations. After reading the posting I am in awe of ysr. Only thing I could think of whomever made this posting should be proud to sign his/her name. I am also really proud of our heritage. Thanks again. - Jim

5. flylta

flylta TS Member

I have been amazed at the reaction of service men when I shake thier hand and thank them for serving thier country and my family.

They are normally reserved and say you're welcome and if you look in thier eye, which I always do because I want them to know my senserity it chokes them up.

Freedom is not Free, it's been paid for by the blood of young American men for centuries.

Thank you for this post, and guys from my family and I please pass on a heart felt Thank You to your sons and daughters that are serving this great country.

Ron

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Piddy, there's help you just need to admit that you have a problem and make the call.

7. Lew

Lew TS Member

Brad, One issue with your post. Why did you wait 10 days to post this, let alone post it on Basteile Day. the French Revelution aniversity???

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Piddy, I don't know what terrible mind destroying phenomena you encountered, but it worked.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Look in the mirror to see the only dumb one.

Don

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Don there is a difference in just being dumb and being a FREAKING NUT JOB! This whacko sounds like he's on Crystal Meth!!!

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I watched a several part series on the Revolutionary War last weekend. It took years to throw off British rule and there were many times when it looked like a lost cause. It was a civil war as much as a war with the British with many changing sides back and forth. We had some remarkable men leading us and fighting on the side of freedom. It was very moving to watch the birth of this greatest nation the world has ever and will ever see.

12. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

The BEST of America...............?

Our Military, PERIOD!

Ask anyone who has lost everything in a National Disaster. They not only protect us overseas but ARE our best friends at home when we need a friend the most.....PERIOD!!!

During the disaster, I thanked a military person for coming to help. He looked me straight in the eye, stood at attention and said "no problem, sir", as a tear rolled down his cheek. These people "CARE" more than most people have capacity or understanding for caring for others in need.

We as a nation can never repay the debt we all owe to our servicemen and women, so be sure and thank the next one you see. Guaranteed He/She will look you straight in the eye and always respond with gratitude and respect.

Jimette and Milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.