1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'M 56 YRS OLD, NEED A FULL TIME JOB!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i am 56 years old, it took me 7 months to find my recent job that ended yesterday. i have always worked in the banking industry. i only have one year of college. most people think that bankers make alot of money, but most don't. at every bank, there are only 5 to 6 people who really make good money. the rest of us are hard working, but in low paid positions. in my recent position i was a bank teller, only made $11.00 per hour, but this was enough to pay the bills, and once in awhile shoot a round or two of trap. in 1979 i got cancer, i now have a clean bill of health. my wife recently was told she has breast cancer. she has now completed 40 treatments of radiation and is hopefully going to live. i live in the milwaukee wisconsin area, does anyone know of any bank jobs, or customer service type positions that would possibly hire a 56 year old male? any suggestions, would deeply be appreciated.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I'm told that Monster.com is a good place to post a resume and look at the listings. Two other sites are also recommended - if you do a little research with Google. Good luck.

3. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I was a teller in a bank for 8 years. It is a great place to make contacts.....think about the customers you had.....the people who only came to your window. Think about what business they were from........what about going to them to look? They obviously know your people skills. Best of luck and our prayers to you and your family. I am mostly so sorry to hear of your wife's illness. I pray the Lord be with you and your wife.

Lorna Hull

4. williray

williray TS Member

SS: I dont know where you live, But I was in the exact same positon as you when I was 57. 2 years on the street, I did retail, contract work and so forth. I ultimatly applied for and got a job in Civil Service!! The initial drawback was crappy starting wages ($12.50 an hour.) I performed so well I had numerous agency's after me the money got good real fast!
    When I initially applied they said I didnt have enough experience! (I kept my Resume short and to the point)! I told the lady I was chatting with that I didnt want to date myself She said "send me the reume that covers everything you've ever done, including any training you had, it all counts!"
    That document was 5 pages long plus a 3 page cover letter, When they reviewed it and responded back, I was now qualified for any IT job in the State!! I typically went on 3-4 interviews a week!
    So consider looking at Civil Service, may take a while but once you're in you're in!! I took a slot in Corrections and never regreted my choice. Interesting world.
    Good luck
    Ray Williams

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

Sir, do you want a job or do you just want sympathy? If it's the former, this is the wrong venue. If it's the latter, you have come to the right place. Good luck.

6. senior smoke

Dear Anonymous Stud:
    I am trying to find a job through any possible venue. My thinking is, most shooters that I know are successful, and many have corporate contacts, and possibly one might know of a job that is open in my area, Milwaukee, WI. As you know sympathy won't put bread on the table. Thanks for your reponse to my thread.
    thanks,
    Steve Balistreri

7. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

only $11.00 an hour,,I need a job also !only make $11.40/hr as a fire,medic supporting a family.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Home Depot or Menards may be a place to find a decent job. The hours would most likely be weekends at the start but you can work your way past that. Try Sears sound like a cusotmer service position is what you be right up your alley. Maybe a tire company that needs a counter sales person. Good Luck andI hope your wife gets well soon.

9. smartass

smartass TS Member

I recommend Wal-Mart. They always need a few good men to be associates.

10. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

I believe my company has offices in your area.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/careers/

I just did a double check and we do have teller openings for our North, South, East and West Side locations!

100 E WISCONSIN AVE - MILWAUKEE, WI
    131 W LAYTON AVE - MILWAUKEE, WI
    W180 N9440 PREMIER LANE - MENOMONEE FALLS, WI
    2675 N MAYFAIR ROAD - MILWAUKEE, WI

Good Luck.

11. senior smoke

trackerdan:
    thanks for the help!
    steve balistreri

12. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Steve, Here's hoping something good happens for you and your family. I'll be thinking of you and even say a prayer.....it does help. Let us know what happens.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I know what you're going through as I'm 60 and spent my life in the automotive service field as a dealership service manager. I've lost my job three times due to ownership changes and the last time, it took me six months to land the job I have now. Getting hired for a decent job at our age isn't easy when prospective employers consider how many good years you have left to give them or will want to work.

Lorna's giving you some great advice. I got the job I now have because the son of the dealership's general manager and my son are friends and saw each other at a social function. During conversation, it came out that the dealership could use someone like me and I was hired on the spot the next day!

Hang in there and remember that things usually seem to happen for the best.

Ed

14. smartass

smartass TS Member

There is only one way to prevent being fired or laid off and that's to start your own business. As long as you have a "job", it can and probably will be taken away eventually.

15. senior smoke

Hello again:
    thanks for the prayers and encouragement. as long as my wife stays cancer free, i can get through anything. i have always felt that shooters are some of the best people i have ever met.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

FYI ... I just went to www.google.com and typed in "milwaukee wisconsin bank teller positions" and you should do the same ... seems there are more than a few openings in the area.

17. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Steve

If you need a resume typed, shoot me an email to: low8X2@yahoo.com and I will write it for free.

18. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Just pulled this up on Craigs List for your area....Maybe it will help

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/acc/

19. guncase

guncase TS Member

Steve,,,, I have a great idea,,,,, you can support yourself and do it playing the game you love. Just buy my WARWICK Guncase business and travel to the shoots like I have been doing for 18 yrs. Will NEVER get rich , but will have a great time and be around the best people in the world!!!
    Will sell at a very reasonable $$ ,, Includes the BRUNSON LEATHER DISTRIBUTORSHIP. SOLD OVER 600 CASES LAST YR!! TRAILER, MOTORHOME AND TRAINING INCLUDED!!

If you find this interesting just call me,, 866-868-9410 Paul

20. pdq

pdq Member

Steve:

you're qualified for hundreds of jobs -- just extend your thinking. You obviously have experience as a bank teller, look for similar jobs. You obviously are trusted around money, look for jobs where that's a requirement outside of banking. You also have probably have good people skills, look for jobs where that's a requirement.

Just do an inventory of every skill you have and then think about what type jobs require those skills, and don't limit your thinking to being a teller. Skill and experience count. Good luck.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.