1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois sticker Fee

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by j l c, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j l c

j l c TS Member

If an Illinois resident shoots requird targets in other states and then attends the Grand American do they have to buy a sticker befor they can shoot?

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It depends.

4. mcv

mcv Member

The ISTA requires IL residents to be a member of the ISTA. The membership dues, the last I knew, were $10 per person, however, Jr's & SubJr's are waived of the dues. "Shooters are required to pay any fees and
    dues which may be set by these State/Provincial Associations in their place of residence in order to be considered members in good standing of that State/Provincial Association." . . . per the ATA Rule Book.

You can verify this information by contacting any IL Director, listed on their website. Or better yet, you may contact the IL State Delegate, Jim Matteson. The ISTA Directors page of the website is posted above.

5. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

And ISTA has done what for me, exactly?

Reminds me of being forced to join the Teamsters to work a summer job when I was in college, complete with a hefty initiation fee. Actual quote from 40 years ago: "You want to come to work tomorrow, kid?" Cost me half a paycheck. Then they went out on strike the next week.

I'd probably join anyway if it was voluntary, but I kinda resent compulsory fees that buy me nothing but a sticker for the back of my ATA card.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bobdog -

This would apply only to Illinois residents. Illinois, like many states, requires Illinois residents to join the Illinois Trap Association in order to shoot registered targets in Illinois. It only applies to Illinois residents. Shooters from other states that shoot registered targets in Illinois are not required to join the Illinois association, just like I'm not required to join the Michigan or Wisconsin or Texas association when I (Illinois resident) shoot targets in those states.

I don't know why, but for some reason I recall that you did not have to have an Illinois sticker when you shot at the Grand, so Illinois residents that shoot all of their targets out of state won't get hit for the $10 if they shoot the Grand. Again - just going from memory.

Scott

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bobdog, if you ever attend the State Shoot or any of the 3 zone shoots, you'll appreciate the thousands of dollars in trophies the state provides. I didn't realize until our club hosted the Il. Northern Zone shoot last year, how much the ISTA spends on those trophies. Those $200 bags x 5 are just some of what they provide. Harv Shell

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Harv; Go in there and delete 2 of your threads.

Don

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

bobdog; I wouldn't pay no $10 I'd set at home and pout about. If you don't believe in your state assoc. and you can't afford $10 then maybe you should find another hobby.

Don

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

No, I paid the $10, but I've never seen any discussion about what ISTA does for us. Maybe it's just a poor job of communicating what they do. It's pretty hard to tell from their website.

I just bristled a bit about the compulsory nature of it. For about 15 seconds. I moved on about 14 hours ago.

11. mcv

mcv Member

bobdog - if you are an IL you need to talk to one of the four directors from your zone to get the answers you need. As I said before . . . talk to the State Delegate, Jim Matteson. Shotshell answered your questions as to what the ISTA does for you and ALL of their members. And I might add . . . if you are an IL resident, shoot registered targets at a Club within the state of IL and DO NOT have an IL state sticker for the current target year on your ATA card (or on your person), you will be required to pay your dues when you cashier . . . your targets you shoot will not be registered because the State Secretary will not turn in your targets to the ATA, AND the club could be charged a fine for not collecting your dues.

So . . . the choice is up to you . . . as BigDon said, sit at home and pout about it. The ISTA supports it's shooters by providing some of the nicest trophies I have seen. Far better trophies than what the ATA provides for the State Shoot and three Zone Shoots.

Scott mentioned that he could only recall something about IL residents that don't shoot in state targets and then shoot the Grand . . . I recommend that you speak to Jim Matteson for the correct answer.

12. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I do know that there is no Illinois State association target fee ($1.00 per 100) charged for the Grand (just as there was no Ohio daily fee charged when the Grand was in Ohio).

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Didn't mean to stir up such a fuss, but thanks for taking the time to respond.

It's only $10.00, and it was a passing annoyance at a shoot last year. This is not a major issue.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

bobdog; Now I know you are a true trapshooter. Good luck and shoot well and often. We all get those burrs and I should soften up on others. See you down the road someplace.

Don

15. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't know why that happens with this Iphone. I only hit submit once and then checked the thread for duplicates. Somehow it posted 2 more times, every 3 minutes and I didn't check it again until now. Let's see if it happens again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.