1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

illinois state shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DGSCAA, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGSCAA

DGSCAA TS Member

Why would the state shoot be held at such a mud hole as Brittany when they have a brand new facility as Sparta. That way if it rains no one will have to walk around in the mud that smells like a pig s***. Is it just me or does this make no sense...

2. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

You need to know the entire story of how Brittany became the site of the state shoot. With that knowledge you would understand why it is continuing to be held there. So I guess I would have to say it is just you. Have a good day.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

23" of precipitation since January 1 will do that to ya.

Why do you think all the chairs in the clubhouse are filled?

Are you sure it's the mud, or the pig farm about a mile to the southwest? Seemed if the wind was just right, it was noticeable, 'cept when you were on the line. ;-)

"Is it just me or does this make no sense... " Good one!

4. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I don’t think I will be going back. I am not a registered shooter, just a league shooter. I went to check out the vendors and pick up odds and ends. The vendors were pretty sparse if you ask me. I stood in line for 1/2 hour to get lunch and there were only about 6 in front of me. It was muddy as a result of all the rain which made it a mess and humid as hell. Over all it was a negative experience for me. I am sure some enjoyed it though.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

KF9VH--Just where did you drive in from that you didn't know it was gonna be "humid as hell" and muddy? I mean everywhere around the whole midwest has had an ungodly amount of rain and its always humid. ITS THE MIDWEST!!!!---Matt

6. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

Matt I am not tracking? What is your point? I had an unpleasant experience going to it. I am not blaming Brittany for the mud problem or the heat and humidity. The vendor issue is a different story. That is just my experience. If you went and had a good time more power to you. No need to jump all over me for expressing my take on it. Apparently I am not the only one that feels the same. We are entitled to our opinion.

7. DGSCAA

DGSCAA TS Member

Can someone please tell me the story that explains why the state shoot is being held at Brittany...and i agree the weather is something that you cant change but at least bring in a truck load of gravel to help with the mud

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

KF9VH---I'm sorry you got upset with my take on your post. It sounded to me as if you were blaming Brittany for the mud and humidity. You were whining a bit but your right that your intitled to that. I guess we can agree on one thing and thats the fact that the State shoot should be at Sparta now. I know the story on how the Mohr Family(i believe it is) saved the Illinois State Shoot years ago, but its time to get the thing to a more modern facility that can handle the crowds,campers and shooters. I actually like Brittany Shooting Park but it shoot let loose of the State shoot to a better facility.----Matt

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

So I guess if it hadn't of rained, we wouldn't have had this thread?

10. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

BINGO!

11. danlmac2

danlmac2 TS Member

still the state shoot should be held at the better facility SPARTA

12. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

New to the game, but I thihk that the Brittnay Shooting Park is a fist class operation. The Targets were great, and I really had a good time. No reason to move the shoot to Sparta, I shoot there enough already.

Ronbo

13. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

I'm pleased we have access to a first class facility, which is more central in its' location than Sparta. When the ITA needed a place to shoot, Larry and his family stepped up. The reason the state is held at Bittany is an old fashioned concept called loyalty.

I don't hear anyone complaining about no place to eat, no where to stay and it not being Vandalia. I think on accasion it rained and was a bit muddy at Vandalia. Thanks to Larry and family for another successful state shoot while operating under adverse conditions.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I think it is great that you have two fantastic places to shoot, Brittany and Sparta. Heck, mud is part of it, been slopping around in it for 30 years at one trapshooting venue or another.

15. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

This was my first IL state shoot. I have wanted to go for years but always had a schedule problem. So this year I drove down on Friday night and came home Sunday afternoon. Yea it was muddy! I was told by many this was the worst it has ever been. They can not control mother nature. I have to say all the trap lines where mostly mud free. The targets where very nice, only had one broken bird and one quick pull in 300 targets.

I have a 4x4 duramax so the mud was not an issue at all. I even pulled some people out that where stuck. If we all help each other and be patient we can deal with some mud.

On the vendors, I was actually a bit suprised how many where there. There where more vendors at the IL state shoot then the Great Lakes Grand I went to this year for the first time. If you want a lot of vendors either go to the Grand or get on your computer.

Dave

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

And spellin don't count no more....... Quit bashing the Mohr family, they did a fine job hosting the state shoot.

17. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

The shoot was great, targets where VERY GOOD, too bad some of the other clubs in central ILL can not throw targets as GOOD. Look forward to the Central Zone shoot that is coming up.

18. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Sounds like MDJ67 has a personal issue with mudd.

Last time I checked shooting at clay targets was a leisure activity.

Ronbo

19. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

i posted this question before the state shoot and still i ask why? Who cares in the past it was saved this is 2009. New technology and new facility, Go to sparta. I say this needs to come up for vote.

20. curly1946

curly1946 TS Member

All you bitching people,let's see you find 70 people to work; get them all to thereline them up to take care of us. Now, put out the money for 5 semi-loads of targetsand make susre they get there on time. Now we need food for 300to600 people everydayand people to cook it.The rain came, now we need to pull 75-100 vehicles out of the mud for free, try that in N.Y . I could go on,and on but it's not a job I want for any amount of $ My hats off to my friends the Mohr family and all the people who made the shoot a fun time. DENNY RIDENOUR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

illinois state trap shoot location casey