1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootnair, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootnair

shootnair Member

Does anyone know how the shooting is going at Brittany with the rain/weather?
    Have they been getting the shoots in?

2. Arkie

Arkie Member

I went Sat. they had a 2 HR. rain delay but after they stared it was a nice day. A little muddy but lots of good people. They had 108 squads. maybe see you there sun.Come out and have some fun. Rick

3. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

It has been the wetest state shoot ever. This entire area has been rained on almost every day for the past week and a half. Cudos to the Mohr family for the great job they have done to get the shoot in. Today is the last event, the championship handicap.

4. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

palosshooter_2008_170440.jpg

palosshooter_2008_170440.jpg

It was tough finding a dry parking space..Lots of mud.I tried to keep at least two wheels on the gravel.The rain on my way home helped to clean the mud from the fender wells..It was a well run shoot despite the weather..A lot of effort by the management to make it a good shoot.

5. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

We were there Wednesday and Thursday vending and the weather was great, a bit windy on Wednesday however, very nice. The mud was horrible, thank goodness for 4 wheel drive! Here's more photos of the mud....

Sue @ Pine Tree Sportswear
    shootinsue_2008_030319.jpg

shootinsue_2008_030320.jpg

shootinsue_2008_030321.jpg

6. John55

John55 Active Member

I went to shoot Wed. thru Friday. Lots of mud as the pic's show but otherwise it was a good time. The western most 8 fields were flooded out on Wednesday so they shot the singles on just 16 fields. Later in the day they managed to get 2 of those fields opened up and the 'caps were shot on 18 fields. Thursday saw all 24 fields in use and the weather was great, as were the targets. Friday had a storm come in around noon and that made for a 2hr delay in finishing the handicap. Past few years have really been wet for this shoot...I wish they'd move it back to the old dates which were a couple of weeks later.

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think it's rained every year since the shoot was moved to Brittany and always a mud hole. Do you think they will ever prepare for bad weather?

8. riggs

riggs Member

I Think the shooters in Illinois and all other shooters who attend our
    State Shoot Deserve something better than this mud hole it's time for a
    change.nothing has been done to make things better.It's time to move on

9. happy

happy Member

Please explain how anyone prepares for 12 plus inches of rain in 5 days. the tile did help alot. The directors did one of the best jobs i've ever seen. They were going by my trailer at 5:30 in the rain trying to get things running, pumped out, changing flooded targets andtrap machines and still working at 8:30 at night. Great job done by all. Sometimes mother nature wins.

10. John55

John55 Active Member

No, you can't beat Mother Nature but you can plan a bit more for it...given that it has been a mudhole for way too many years! I can understand getting hit once or twice but after that it just shows that money needs to be spent and things need to be done...and it isn't happening. The folks who run the shoot do a great job, the targets are good and the background is great, but it's hard to enjoy one's time there while wallowing around in the mud all day long. We Illinois residents have already bought and paid for a world class facility, why we are not holding our state shoot there is a mystery to me.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

John55

I'm sure you find many things to be a mystery.

12. John55

John55 Active Member

Recoil Sissy

Just why would you say that?

13. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

John 55

Did the mud bother your shooting

park

14. John55

John55 Active Member

No, I can shoot badly regardless of the conditions.

15. John55

John55 Active Member

No, I can shoot badly regardless of the conditions.

16. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

A Willy concert, a bunch of poorly managed traps and problems at the U.S. open, and the whole place run by the DNR (possum-cops). What could possibly go wrong?? I will take Brittany Park EVERY DAY !!!!!!!!!!! Best targets and background you could want and Larry tries damn hard to give a good show--but I think mother nature has other plans................merlyn

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I agree 100% with Merlyn!

18. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I also agree 100% with Merlyn!

Brittney Shooting Park - one of the best trap clubs ever!

The Mohrs even better as managers and people!!!

milt

19. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I don't see how you could complain about the shoot. The weather is the weather, the concrete pads on the fields weren't muddy, the walkway wasn't muddy. The targets were great.

Dave Eberhart

20. RLC323

RLC323 Member

This spring has been especially rough on many outdoor events in the midwest. I do not know what preparations could have been done beyond what was in place at Brittany to be ready for the rain. The new tile that was in place was overwhelmed by the heavy rain, and any farmer will tell you that it takes a season or two for freshly laid tile to become most efficient.

You have to take your hat off to the Mohr family and staff, and the directors, especially Dennis Baker. Dennis worked on the west end to improve the drainage in the traps there. After his efforts the traps were available, even with the overnight rains Friday and Saturday. Dennis hauled gravel, pulled out cars, and really went beyond the call of duty to keep the event moving. Those traps that became available Wednesday afternoon did not get that way without work.

Sure, Sparta has asphalt, and that is about it. Sparta was built by the State and has all the character of a WalMart parking lot. Brittany was built by and is run by people who love trapshooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.