1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois State Shoot, Where are the Big Dogs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by midalake, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Rumor has it there was one of those "I ain't changing the targets" they were set once today. Type of people there???? Maybe things have changed???

GS

2. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

Does anyone know if the scores and winners are on line anywhere?

Lorna

3. Larry Lark

Larry Lark TS Member

The scores are posted on the Brittany website - www.brittanyshooting.com

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

this one is clickable

Didn't know that michael Moore started shooting trap!!

Monday June 11

(Cash Trophies)

Event 1 - 50 Pr. Doubles (24 entries)

Winner: Randy Miller - 98

Event 2 - 100 Hcp (45 entries)

Champion: Andrew Stone - 94

19-20: Albert Jenkins

21-22: Bill Grayson & Jerry Hasler - 89

23-24: Michael Moore - 91

25-26: Donald Herdes - 89

27: Randy Miller - 92

Fog

5. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Sorry, I couldn't make it. Im a pretty big dog..lol
    Chris

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Might be the Michael Moore from our club. He's been shooting well.

7. Ron23in

Ron23in TS Member

Sorry I can not rember the name of the guy ho ran the 100 it was his first he has not done it on 16s or boubles . The old vet

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Well, I saw Kaye and Debbie Ohye at the PA state shoot, so there are two of them that are somewhere else besides Illinois. Dave Schaeffer, Jr., who is also an All American, is at the PA state shoot.

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I would guess the "Big-Dogs" are in Pa trying to earn their keep for the week. Harlan Jr. was in Illinois this week, and did well. Illinois shooters are not known for giving away their cash easily, payoffs were good but not spectacular.

A note about those "wore out" Western handset traps. The traps at Brittany may be old but they are properly maintained and work fine. Any targets that vary from "perfect" automatic trap targets usually can be attributed to the setter. I shot 1100 targets there this week and there were very few bad targets, very few no targets, and only one broken target thrown during my rounds.

The directors and Brittany staff were willing to reset targets as needed to make it right for the shooters. The pulling and setting crew was the best trained and most rules-knowledgable group I have ever seen at the Illinois shoot.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Some target controversy early on but solved with a little common sense by our BOD.

I didn't think the targets were as bad as I was.

11. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Well targets are targets, and everyone there shot the same stuff. I thought that the release was quicker than a pat trap. We watched some land short of the stake and some flew all the way out in the rough past the stake. I thought they really got out of the house faster than a pat target. I shot 16's and doubles ok, but handicap was a different story. Having said that, I know that after shooting on nothing but pats, I dont need to shoot these again, and like I heard from many, many shooters there I wont be back. If you think I'm wrong, just ask around. The directors did just about anything and everything that was asked of them. They tried to satisfy everyone. But I know where those winchester machines should be put. There's no daylight there.

12. guncase

guncase TS Member

The question begs to be ask,, Why do you want the "big dogs" to come in and take YOUR money??? I made it to the shoot,, but I could only shoot 100 targets,, cause of the heat and my health. It was good just to see my friends again!!

Larry is kinda in a predicament,, his ten yr contract with the Association ends in two yrs,, I think. Just how much money would YOU spend if you knew that that could be the end of the State Shoots at YOUR club????
    I think if there is a problem at Brittany, It is with the association and a lack of a continuing contract with a requirement of new Pat Traps by the beginning of the contract. I watched a few traps around 15,16, and 17 and couldn't find fault with them. The wind was a factor, but it is everywhere.

Larry bailed them out of a hard spot when the association needed help,, I think it would be a bad think to do to leave him in rush now!! Paul Sedwick

P.S. Glad to see all of you that stopped by. My first time out since the Grand and I really enjoyed it!!!

13. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Partygirl. You right. Winchester traps release right on the money. Pats do have a bit of delay. The handsets at Brittany have always been well maintained. If you you shoot on a fast squad. Your gonna get bad targets. The kid in the hole can only put them on so fast and he/she doesn't like there fingers getting hit by the arm. Think about it. Todd

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Can you believe it? All those targets us old timers shot off Winchester hand sets were terrible. I suppose we'll have to petition the ATA to add some bonus targets onto our lifetime averages before we croak. I even heard some idiot say he'd quit shooting if everyone switched to automatic traps-he's still here.

And I thought we ran out of excuses for missing!!

15. John55

John55 Active Member

I attended the shoot on Friday and Saturday and found the birds to be okay. I've never had a problem with targets that are thrown from the Winchester traps, but after 30+ years at this game I guess I am used to them! The weather was hot, shade is non-existant and IMO the facility was at full handling capacity. If Illinois wants the state shoot to grow and ultimately get back to what it was in the '70s when we had 200+ squads there will need to be some drastic changes, IMO. Either Larry will need to spend a lot of money on improvments or the association needs to make a deal with the folks at Sparta. I personally see no reason why it shouldn't be held at Sparta, given the facility in place there. I know Larry stepped up years ago and built the current facility, but with the world class setup in place at Sparta I just can't see him doing that again...and I wouldn't blame him for not doing it.

16. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I am new to the game, but I friend gave me a word of advise when shooting handset traps. I notcied that the lead off shooter was shooting fast and not taking a second to let the setter get the target on the arm and he would get a few birds that were really not that good. I recomended that he take a few more seconds between shots and he ran the next box. His targets were more consistent.

Ronbo

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think we have all shot good to great targets off of Winchester hand sets, the problem with them is if they are in good shape they work well if not they can be torture for the shooters at best ... The Mohr family has a business and it has to be run as a service business to the shooters first and foremost for him to be able stay in business and that means maintain the machines to highest level ... The ITA needed the Mohr Family when Mather folded and he bailed them out at the time so there has to be some degree of loyalty to them as long as they provide the highest level of services to the members ... I can see where they would be apprehensive to make a major investment in the facility with Sparta up and running and waiting in the wings ... This would be a major "catch 22" for any business person if put in the same situation ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Bill (WPT) makes a good point about the Mohrs being in a "catch 22" situation with Sparta waiting in the wings. I feel the Illinois shoot is for the Illinois shooters and the out of state folks who attend are a great addition, but really can not be catered to (adding automatics) with the current financial situation. The cost of adding automatics to use one week of the year is not going to work out on any balance sheet.

During the week I spoke with a shooter who advanced the idea of the clubs in the state renting their automatic traps to the ISTA for the state shoot. I realize there would be a great deal of work involved to make such a situation a reality, but it may be worth looking into as an alternative to Sparta.

With the Pennsylvania shoot held the same week as our shoot we will most likely never see the crowds that were drawn to Illinois during the Mather club heyday of the 70's. You must remember that Jim Mather was a shrewd business man who was smart enough to get in and build a great facility at the right time. Also Jim was lucky that the state of Illinois was expanding route 4 to four lanes, and paid him enough money to move from the old club that faced east to the great facility we had for over 28 years.

19. John55

John55 Active Member

I totally agree that Larry "stepped up" when the ISTA needed someone, and my hat has been off to him for years because of that. However, something needs to be done when 24 fields can't accomodate 130+/- squads w/o shooting all of your targets on one field..."to speed things up" as I was told. I'm sorry, but that isn't good enough, IMO.

20. prairiewind

prairiewind TS Member

This was my first state shoot since I began shooting trap again late last year, after a five year or so lay off. I have to say that I had a great time and sort of liked shooting everything on one trap. As for the traps themselves, I personally prefer automatics simply for the sake of consistancy since the human factor (the setter) is removed. I also think that as a practical matter, the facilities at Sparta will be hard for any private club to compete with in the future and eventually, that will be where the state shoot ends up. Of course, that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I appreciate and would like to thank all of the hard work that the folks at Brittany did, along with our directors, in making the shoot a success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.