1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois: Shooting capitol of the world

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dickgshot, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

August 13-18th the best shotgun shooters in the world will gather in
    Illinois for the biggest shooting events of the year: The Grand American trapshoot and the World FITASC championship. Sporting clays shooters from England, France, Australia,and dozens of other countries around the globe will be competing in Hainesville, Illinois just north of Chicago; while shooters as far away as Ohio will be travelling to the trapshooting competition a few miles south in Sparta, Illinois.

2. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

"...while shooters as far away as Ohio will be travelling to the trapshooting competition a few miles south in Sparta, Illinois."

HAHAHA

Nicely played.

3. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Man, I thought maybe Chicago got an award for all of the people that shoot each other.
    Doug Allison

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Well, I have heard the magnetic poles are supposed to reverse themselves this year, but I thought it was to be closer to December 21st, wasn't it? ;-)

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

White kids get killed on a daily basis in Chicago and the area thats around it, but let some Black kid who attacks a man and is beating the crap out of him get killed by him in self defense and it makes National News, somebody is going to make a killing on them Hoodies", no pun intended ... I am going to have a bunch of them hoodies printed up with "BullsEyes" on them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. shamlin

shamlin Member

WPT.....I'll buy one!

7. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

A few months back I asked readers of TS.com for suggestions of place in the U.S. that are gun friendly - places where an old guy might do some semi-retiring while being able to shoot when desired. Unexpectedly, I came to the conclusion that Illinois is right up there with the best - as long as we're talking the southern portions - any place south of I80. North is more like a state of its own - even a foreign country of its own.

I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight or pour gasoline on a fire that's already burning, but upon further investigation, my original conclusion is correct (for me). I'll stay put and spend what cash I have driving to where I can shoot. There are more than enough quality ranges within five hours of my home town. I'm happy about this. Please don't try to bring me down by telling me how many more ATA members are in Pennsylvania or how badly things have changed since the move to Sparta.

Larry

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

WPT, I guess you haven't seen the police video yet....

or the undertakers report...

9. minnship8

So many people reached instant conclusions in this case, that now all they are doing is trying to manipulate the evidence to make them look right. Combine egos with litigation and the truth becomes elusive.

As to the northern half of Illinois being a different world...again ignorance rears its ugly head. Later this spring the World Sporting Clay Championships are being held in a suburb of Chicago about 20 minutes from where I live. I have shot, hunted and fished here my whole life. I defy you to find some pervasive anti gun sentiment or activity in this area, it simply doesn't exist. Ignorance about blood or shooting sports does exist, but that is no different than any urban area of the US. Gun clubs do get pushed out of lands they've been on for years, but not because they have guns, because they make noise. I'm not saying it's right, but people who want to portray this area for something it isn't have never lived here.

Chip Porter

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Washington, DC, remains the shooting capital of the world...

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob K., add idiots to your list above too!

Hap

12. cnsane

cnsane Member

As long as we are being defied to find some pervasive anti gun sentiment or activity--Explain FOID cards and why no other state bordering Illinios has that restriction which results in a felony that abbrogates your right to OWN a gun, let alone carry one.

13. minnship8

cnsane,

Reading is a skill, try to be more thorough next time. The argument was about the difference between the northern and southern portions of Illinois and the pervasive anti gun sentiment or activity being more prevalent in the north than south.

If you wish to make an argument, please don't use the, "I'm in the majority, or the, everyone else does it differently" stance. Neither is proof of right or legitimacy. Make it on its own grounds.

BTW, how many people have been found guilty of felony non FOID card possession that resulted in a denial of gun ownership rights? It is misleading to say that it is restrictive or that non compliance results in a felony conviction.

Chip Porter

14. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

I just have a hard time understanding your logic. You laugh at the Ohio shooters. I for 1 have shot every Sparta grand target except the champion of champion events that I was not eligble to. This is very rude-crude or however you want to put it. Look at any state and see how few shooters travel out of state to shoot. By the way how many Vandalia grand targets did you shoot Chip?

Since 2005 a lot of our gun clubs are doing better with there jackpot and meat shoots than they did before.

If you look very close at the forest you may actually see the trees.

Dave

15. minnship8

Dave,
    The Ohio shooters on this board seem to consistently be the most cantankerous lot in attendance. I keep hearing about how big Ohio is and the ATA should pay more attention to them because they believe they are not fairly represented and that they are taking their bat and ball and going home if they don't get it their way. Then you have guys like Dysinger who's feet are so made of clay that he's willing to insult and belittle anyone that dares disagrees with him. Then he hides behind, "The best interests of trapshooting", as if his way is the only way and anyone that disagrees must be in some big conspiracy for personal riches. This is the same type of argumentative logic that school boards use. When they say, "It's in the best interest of the children", they expect that we are all supposed to shut up and do it their way without question. Sorry, that's not how things get done.

The more that gets written here about, "The Ohio Way", the more it looks like Ohio very much wants to succeed from the ATA union and start its own organization. There is nothing in the world wrong with that, especially if it is done for the right reasons. But to do it under the banner of, "The ATA sucks, come do it the Ohio way where we don't listen to others opinions either"? Tell me how that's better than what we have now?

Dave, I shot 0 targets at Vandalia because I didn't start shooting ATA until last August. I must say though, as a new shooter, Ohio is doing a damn good job of making the new shooter unwelcome. I have however traveled from Illinois to, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Florida and Arizona to shoot registered targets in the short time I have been participating.

Now, what logic exactly was it that you needed help understanding? I'd be happy to elaborate.

Chip

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

We PA guys find little need to bitch, simply voted with our feet and shoot in Ohio!!

17. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Wouldn't you guys from PA pretty much have to go through Ohio on your way to Sparta? I don't blame you for stopping in Ohio. If the Grand were in Ohio I would have to travel through Illinois and Indiana to get there.

Thank God it is in Illinois, 90 miles from my home, and I don't have to go to Ohio!!

18. minnship8

odawg,

Realistically, how much of the PA shooters decision to shoot ohio rather than illinois is geographically related and how much is ideological?

Chip Porter

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Chip, really makes no difference. The end result's the same. PA shooters are mostly a decrepit old bunch who just won't travel that far with bad backs and worse attitudes. I doubt anyone making the decision to move to Sparta ever thought that one out-just like they only extended the yardage markers to the 27 yd. line!!

20. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

minnship8 ...I lived in Aurora Il for 15 years and compared to the south, the entire state is "anti-gun".
    As concerns the highly un-Constitutional FOID card...Heres a tid-bit you might find interesting! http://blog.teaparty-nil.com/2012/02/door-to-door-gun-confiscation-in.html

Ed Harrison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.