1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois Senate Passed Compromise CC Bill HB0183

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 31, 2013.

1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

HB183, the compromise concealed carry bill, just passed in the Senate in at 45-12-1 vote. It will be in the House later today, where I expect it will pass with the super-majority required to preempt homerule. Read the bill here (you need to open up the full text so you can read the amendment, which replaced everything else in the bill)

2. us820

us820 Active Member

It just passed

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

What does it mean when it says "Preempts home rule on ..................." ?

Gene in Illinois

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Gene,

It means that this law will override an individual municipalities' laws regarding "the regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of concealed handguns as covered by the Act."

"Section 90. Preemption.

The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of concealed handguns and ammunition for concealed handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or concealed handguns and ammunition for concealed handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution."

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

In the case of Chicago, that preemption would be a good thing, I think. Any gun laws they have now or try to pass, would be null and void, eh?

Quinn and Emanuel are going to have cows over this.

Gene in Illinois

6. Lostintheozone

Lostintheozone Member

This is the way it is in just about every state. Why should Illinois and especially Chicago be any different? Liberal dems don't always get their way. The mayor can just get over it.

7. Richrude

Richrude TS Member

Given the time necessary for the ISP to set up the course content, and certify instructors, set up the background system,
    if this happens before this time next year I'll be surprised.
    No reciposity from what I read last night your out of state permit may save 8 hours of training. I like Indiana's system wish I could have afforded to stay there. It's only cheaper if you have a job.

8. Richrude

Richrude TS Member

Forgot Potato head will probably veto send back as an assault weapons ban.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's a start...

Jay

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Can Quinn veto if there is a super majority vote?

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

No. He cannot Veto a Supermajority. It is termed a Veto-Proff Bill.

12. Richrude

Richrude TS Member

If he veto's it the question becomes will Madigan and Cullerton call for an override vote or have Lisa then file an appeal with SCOTUS. That could delay the whole thing and may be the backroom plan all along. I thought both house adjourned, thought Gov. would have to call them back.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

it's semantics... the bills was passed with a "super-majority" vote, but I do not believe that can pre-empt Quinn from actually using his veto power. The super-majority potentially, gives the legislature an opportunity to re-vote and override.

Maybe, stretching things out is part of the plan, using Quinn as a tool, giving the AG the opportunity to appeal and waste more resources that Illinois doesn't have... the AG wants to be Governor.

If Quinn does indeed veto, assuming the votes hold and the vote is actually called, the bill will become law. You'd like to think that with the specter of an override vote in-hand, Quinn would just sign the legislation... but everyone is just posturing for the next election...

Jay

14. Richrude

Richrude TS Member

Okay now it's back in court, 30 day delay, wait until last minute, Quinn veto's or doesn't sign Lisa go her Scotus extension, she'll file with SCOTUS, most likely get another stay of 7th circuit decision pending courts taking the case only needs one justice for stay order.
    New York and others will want this to go away. I think SCOTUS may think this will be ripe for hearing if we win there Shall issue would be law of land not just circuit

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The Chicago Dems got pretty much what they wanted. A set of hoops that are so high that people of modest means will not be able to take part in concealed carry. Allowing local law enforcement to veto any applicant also is a joke.

With 16 hours of training (the most required in the nation), and $150 fee our only hope is that someone in the Federal court sees that the new law is crap, and prevents the majority of the state's honest citizens from exercising their constitutional right.

16. gold40

gold40 Member

This whole Illinois CCW law activity seems stupid to me.

They could have just copied the exiting Missouri CCW law, which works well and has no legal challenges pending. Or the Indiana law...

17. jc128763

jc128763 TS Member

RLC323 - I think $150 for residents is ridiculous but then I read the non-resident cost. I live in Iowa and work in Illinois. To cross the bridge would cost a lot of people in my company $300 each...

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Acccording to the CBS news last night Mdiagn was granted one and only one extentsion by the court. Nothing if not a waste of time by a few liberals.A cash cow for the state; crooks in a crooked state system