1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois Officials intend to publicise all FOIDs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Illinois Officials Spar Over Order to Make List of Gun Owners Public

By Judson Berger

Published March 02, 2011

| FoxNews.com

In a showdown over the privacy rights of gun owners, the Illinois State Police are refusing to release a list identifying all firearm permit holders in the state after Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan determined that the information "must" be made public.

The dispute, which soon could come before a judge, has been building since last fall when a reporter for The Associated Press made a Freedom of Information Act request to the police for the names of cardholders as well as information about the weapons each permit holder is authorized to carry.

But the state police, who safeguard that information, resisted as lawmakers and others raised privacy concerns. Critics questioned what public interest it would serve to let neighbors look up each other's potential weapons cache -- further, they warned that publicizing the information could put both gun owners and those who don't own guns at risk.

If the state publishes a list of gun owners, Republican Rep. Ron Stephens said, "You are by design also publishing a list of everyone who doesn't" carry a firearm.

That could be comparable to publishing a list of everyone who has, or doesn't have, a car alarm or home-security system, at least in the eyes of those who want to keep the records private.

"My gun ownership is none of your business," Stephens, who is pushing a bill in the General Assembly to lock down that list, told FoxNews.com. "I don't know what Lisa Madigan doesn't understand about that, but obviously she's confused."

Madigan's office, though, issued a detailed legal opinion Tuesday explaining why the state police should release the registry to The Associated Press.

Assistant Public Access Counselor Matthew Rogina, citing federal court decisions as well as Illinois law, wrote in a letter to the state police attorney that disclosing the names "cannot be characterized as highly personal or objectionable." He wrote that there is a "public interest" in releasing the information, citing the example of an individual who may have become ineligible to carry.

"Therefore, even if disclosure of the names and expiration of the (Firearm Owner's Identification Card) card owners did constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy, this fact is outweighed by the public interest that exists in ensuring the integrity of the (police) database," he wrote.

The police had argued that they should not have to release the records because of an exemption for "information that would endanger the life or physical safety of law enforcement personnel or any other person."

Madigan's office disagreed. It was the second time the office had rejected law enforcement's rationale for withholding the records.

In response, the police issued a brief statement saying the force "respectfully disagrees" with the opinion. It urged the public access counselor to issue a "binding opinion so that the issue may be resolved through the judicial process."

A spokeswoman in Madigan's office said the ball is still in the court of the state police, describing Rogina's opinion as a "detailed legal analysis" of the dispute.

But while the state police weigh their options, Stephens is trying to short-circuit the disagreement with legislation. Though he claims Illinois law already bars the police from making the gun permit registry public, he's pushing a bill that would clearly prohibit that information from being released except in connection with a criminal investigation.

Stephens' bill narrowly failed in committee on a 5-5 vote Wednesday, but under state law, the committee can reconsider it. Stephens said he'll bring it back for a do-over in the next couple weeks.

"This is an important issue about freedom. ... We will persist," Stephens said.

National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said his group would do "whatever we can" to stop the attorney general decision from being enforced.

"There's no reason for the names of law-abiding gun owners to be released to the general public," Arulanandam said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/02/illinois-officials-spar-order-make-list-gun-owners-public/#ixzz1FVGeRSLO

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    THIS is why we should never have gun registration or permits to exercise your gun rights.

The media here in Oregon wants to make public the names and addresses of all CHL holders. We've been fighting it for quite some time.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Wont happen.

4. Brian in Oregon

I wouldn't be so sure. The bill to seal the records died in committee.

This whole thing stinks of Obama and his cohorts. We're seeing too many backdoor attempts to screw law-abiding gun owners lately and this is his old stomping ground.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Too much pro gun sentiment among the suburbs and downstate white population. Wont happen unless there are several commie democrats who want an early retirement. We gotta get rid of that creep, Durbin and Madigan will go down the drain with him.

I can only hope.

6. Brian in Oregon

Well you better look into who the five are on the committee that voted to sink the records seal bill and start with them.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Lisa Madigan is tightly aligned to the anti-gun lobby/sentiment in Illinois. She pretty much becomes the head of the snake now that Mayor Daley is on his way out. And like all Democrat pols in Illinois they are not to be trusted with any thing money or guns. This lawsuit will persist until she finds a sympathetic judge and then she will claim victory. The key here is the head cop that says no. If he hangs in, it may die.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

This, or something similar, has been done before right here in Indiana.

Indiana has been a relative gun friendly State when compared to its neighbor to the west, Illinois. The databases are out there and there are those like the ultra liberal, anti gun newspapers from ultra liberal cities like The Bloomington (Indiana) Herald-Times are more than willing to publish it.
    (See cut and paste from the Article and links below)

It does not surprise me at all that Illinois would let this happen to its law-abiding citizens.

When will the politicians learn it is not the gun registered to the abiding citizen that is the problem.

Mark
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Indiana: Bloomington Herald-Times Remains Defiant, Refuses to End Searchable Gun Permit Database! Friday, December 04, 2009
    On November 30, 2009, the Bloomington Herald-Times made the following announcement:
    “This week, HeraldTimesOnline.com will launch its new gun permit database. You’ll be able to search gun permit records by county, city or town and street.”
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Link #1 http://www.patriotactionnetwork.com/group/iresistguncontrol/forum/topics/bloomington-indiana

Link #2 http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5234

9. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

With all respect Mark, I have to disagree. IMHO:
    To the Democrat faithful....a gun in the hands of a law-abiding citizen is MOST CERTAINLY the problem.

They know their power will never be threatened by common criminals with guns.

On the other hand.....well, we all remember how that "Lexington Thing" in 1775 ended up.

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Those who smash their guns against their plows will plow for those who don't!!! These people are downright crazy!!! Why don't they post the names of everyone that is mentally ill or everyone that doesn't have car insurance or everyone that went through A/A!!!! How about when the Dumbocrats were crying about the Patriot Act and how much of an invasion of privacy that is!!

Every single day these hypocrites pull things out of places the sun don't shine and assault our Constitutional rights!!!!!! I am so fed up with these mentally ill LIBERALS....I truly believe you are mentally ill if you have a liberal thought process....

11. cle

cle Member

PART OF MY LETTER TO MY ILLINOIS HOUSE REPRESENTATIVE..............

If you're at a loss to figure out what's behind Lisa Madigian's ruling on disclosure of FOID card holders' names you need look no further than her political affiliation. She's a DEMOCRAT. The very same party as Daley, Bloomberg, Emanuel, Obama, the Clintons, Quinn, Durbin and money bags Soros......... all of them are frantic to deny the American people their Second Amendment rights and disarm the American citizenry. And to do so by any means necessary.

And, you are smart enough to recognize that little Lisa and her father have major aspirations for her well beyond an itty bitty Attorney General's chair. But, clearly for her to move up the political career path in Illinois and nationally in the way that she and her father want, she must establish her credentials as a 'right thinking', firmly committed Democrat. And little things like the Constitution or the Right to Individual Privacy mean nothing to these people in their march to power and to remake the American culture, society and body politic as they see fit.

And to get what she wants she needs to do what they want. And this FOID records disclosure is an important step.

Make no mistake, it's all about P-O-W-E-R.

CLE RECTOR

Wheaton, IL

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

They do this in NYC and it's the dumbest f---ing thing. As was mentioned, they are exposing a person's private matter whether they have a permit and also identifying those that do not. I TOTALLY fail to see ANY valid purpose to disclose whether a person LEGALLY had the right or not to CONCEALED carry. How this anyone's business is beyond me. These states just make me sick.

13. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Sue and I have looked at leaving Illinois since I retired and am no longer tied to a work situation. Her business is flexible enough to move almost anywhere we have good internet access. Almost every day there's another small weight being dropped in the go side of the decision making scale of should we stay or should we go. This is just one more of many reasons to leave.

I like South Dakota for tax purposes and the good business climate but the actual climate might be something to be considered.

Terry

14. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Yeah....South Dakota!! Buy a bunch of land and open up a Hunting Club for pheasants, waterfowl, deer, antelope, buffalo, elk...This is my retirement dream! May be hard to get the wife on board for that!

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

1. The FOID program is administered by the Illinois State Police (ISP). It applies only to Illinois residents.

2. The Associcated Press filed a FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT demanding the ISP release the names of everyone to whom a foid card has been issued.

3. State Attorney General 'Madigan the lesser' (see foot note) had one of her staff flunkies write a legal opinion that would require the ISP to release the names.

The usual suspects cheered - including all the chickensh!t Crook County politicians as well as bleeding heart advocacy groups whose mission it is get and keep criminals out jail.

4. A bill to seal foid records including names, was promptly introduced by Rep. Ron Stevens, a downstate republican. It stalled in committee.

5. MIA is correct, if not altogether clear, in his post above. When directed to release FOID records, the chief of the ISP politely told Madigan to go pound sand up her b#tt.

6. So long as the ISP stands it's ground, the only way for this to move forward is a court order.

7. One of "our" groups fighting this nonsense is the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA). A week from today is the ISRA's Illinois Gun Owner's Lobby Day (aka IGOLD). Here's a clip from the ISRA's website (isra.org)

---------

All Illinois gun owners are invited to join in Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day (IGOLD) in Springfield on March 10, 2011. This is an annual event where the members directly lobby their representatives in the Illinois House and Senate. Sponsored by the ISRA, with participation by local and internet organizations in Illinois to increase participation and make a bigger & better impression in Springfield. Get your local organization involved as well

---------

Cle, Barry, Savagestan99, wapaho, rlc323, 2kluk and all, please join me in Springfield and bring your friends!

sissy

PS: If you're looking for a ride, the ISRA will be running busses from strategic locations scattered around the state. See the ISRA website for more details about the event.

Foot Note: Because IL government is infested with multi-generational rotters, it is necessary to identify which rotter is which.

'Madigan the lessor' distinguishes AG Lisa Madigan from her lib dem father 'Madigan the elder'. Father Madigan is a Crook County state rep and the Supreme Commanding Potentate (speaker) of the Illinois House.

16. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Luckyman, we are really looking at it. I traveled through the state several years ago on a motorcycle trip and really liked what I saw. It's actually not all that far for us to come back for family matters.

Recoil Sissy, I believe there's a group from the Milan Rifle Club making the trip to Springfield..... looks like I need to be on that bus this year.

Terry

17. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Open carry pretty much makes it a mute point eh?

18. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I agree....If you want to post that I am a FOID carrying IL resident I should be able to get a concealed carry permit because this legislation has now made my family and the community as a whole less safe!

19. rd

rd TS Member

"...smash their guns against their plows.." ???? Do you mean " Beat their swords into plowshares"? That means to make plowshares out of their swords, as in reforging them. it doesn't mean to bang a sword against a plow. Jeez. Although I agree with everything you have said about the real issue in the thread, I don,t think we need to be out murdering the biblical phrases that have been with us for centuries! ( don't take offense- this is offered entirely in jest)

20. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

This is just another nail in the Illinois coffin. This state is so sad, I really don't see much of an upside in living here. We had a chance to put Brady in office, but the Repubs dropped the ball there. Indiana is a much more forward thinking state. I have seen many of my associates in the trades moving there, and they are happier there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.