1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois Gun Transportation Laws

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Illini bird, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

If you have a FOID card yes

2. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Better not leave any of it in the car and drive onto school property.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What about out of staters?

4. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

Same rules apply --Except you dont need a FOID card. Or till you plan to live in IL. then you must have a card.

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Long guns are ok as long as they are cased and unloaded and ammo may be transported anywhere in the vehicle except in the firearm. No hand gun until 21 years old

6. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Probably a stupid question but what is a FOID card.Is that strictly an Illinois thing?

7. obfd13

obfd13 Member

Can anyone who answered please direct me to a link or something in print that says a 16 year old can possess a long gun and an 18 year old can possess a handgun?

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The post brings back a memory for me, I got stopped for a left turn after the light turned red (big freakin deal I was in the intersection), the young officer asked for insurace card and DL I opened the glove box and theres a box of AA 7.5's he tells me I shouldn't have the shells in my vehicle. My response is "I like having them there and that is how it is" (bad mood) he says "I can arrest you for having those in the car" My response," do it there is no weapon in the car and I am within my rights". Well he gave me back my insurance and DL and said be careful when you decide to make left hand turns in the future.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Firearm Owners IDentification. Not a permit to carry, only means that the Illinois State Police have done the cursory background check at the time of application. Needed to possess and/or purchase.

Jay

10. obfd13

obfd13 Member

MC, Thanks for the info. Is there any documentation that states you must be 18 to even shoot a pistol and that a 14 year old can possess a long gun?

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wisconsin has some wierd laws too.

Don't lean your gun against the car at a shoot. And if you have a motor home don't clean your gun inside unless it is on leveling blocks. That would constitute an uncased gun in a motor vehicle.

My friend paid a 300 dollar fine for wiping his gun off inside the motor home after hunting in the rain. A pice of 2x6 lumber under one wheel would have made it legal.

Sounds like Trappy can go to the club ok, though.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.