1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois gun sezure has happened

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by merlynstrapguns, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

This morning, in the St.Louis Post-Dispatch, was an article of a man from Illinois calling a congressman to complain about the blockage of an electric rate freeze, and the confiscation of his guns. Nothing was mentioned about what was said, only that the guns were taken. I wish the paper could have printed the rest of the story. ...merlyn...

2. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

Merlyn, is the reporter at the St. Louis Post Dispatch?? I would think you could email them for more information. Usually you can..... Just a thought.

Lorna

3. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Lorna; this MAY just be a case of ones "battle-ship mouth" over-loading his "row-boat a$$". The contents of the conversation were not included.. Thanks....merlyn...

4. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/4A5907075D2717BF862572C9000B7A3A?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2C%22guns%22

5. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Her is the story.
    POST-DISPATCH SPRINGFIELD BUREAU
    Thursday, Apr. 26 2007

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — A downstate resident who complained to his local lawmaker
    about his Ameren electric bill last week was so upset over the issue that
    police ended up at his door, confiscated guns from him and are continuing to
    investigate, several sources confirmed Wednesday.

However, state Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton, whose office fielded the angry call,
    said initial media reports that there was a death threat against himself and
    Senate President Emil Jones aren't accurate.

"There was never, ever a death threat. We just had a concerned person … who was
    upset about his Ameren bill,'' Forby said Wednesday.

He said the man, a Benton resident, did talk about Jones, and said things that
    raised concerns he might injure himself. "We thought there could be an issue
    with his safety … so we asked the state police to look into it,'' Forby said.

The incident, which began Friday and continued over the weekend, is the latest
    fallout from the electricity rate controversy that has raged in the Legislature
    this year.

That debate continues today, when a House committee is expected to take up a
    bill that would roll back and freeze rates for Ameren customers. Many believe
    that measure is ultimately doomed because of opposition by Jones, the Senate
    leader.

Forby and Jones, a Chicago Democrat, have been at the center of the rate
    controversy in recent weeks. Forby sponsored the Ameren rate-freeze bill that's
    now in the House. Jones, a rate-freeze opponent, sparked outrage Friday by
    using an obscure parliamentary maneuver to prevent ComEd from being included in
    that bill, an omission that could scuttle the whole rate-freeze proposal.

As that issue was playing out in Springfield on Friday, Forby said, a man
    called his district office in Benton and talked to a staff member there about
    the electric rate issue. Based on the tenor of that conversation, Forby said,
    his office alerted police. Police went to the man's house and confiscated
    several guns, according to local media and other sources.

An Illinois State Police spokesman confirmed Wednesday that there is an
    investigation but declined to provide further information. No charges had been
    filed in the case as of Wednesday afternoon.

A spokeswoman for Jones declined to comment.

6. grammie

grammie TS Member

That person is a "witch"!!!!

I know it to be true because my cow went dry when he walked past the pasture!!!!

Lets first tear him apart using the media,,,,and then lets tie his hands and feet and throw him into the town lake,,if he sinks,,,he must be guilty of something,,,and if he floats,,,well!!! God walks with him!!!!

And that my friends is the state of Ill. where you must "first" prove yourself innocent of any crime before you can enjoy your 2nd amendment rights or buy ammo or powder!!!

And that is the mindset of the politicions in Illinois.....

Seize all guns first,,and then ask questions!!!

If its a "safety issue" I wonder whey they didn't confiscate his kitchen knives,,and his sports equipment--(ballbats)????

Perhaps if they looked in his garage and found batteries,,duct tape,,yard fertilizer,,they could also charge him with "bomb making materials",,,of course that would be "after" they closed all the area schools,,evacuated a 3 block area,,called in SWAT,,,then the bomb squad,,,and then rolled the robots into action...

AKA Grammie..........

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

The sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is fallin......

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Patrick It could hit you in the head and someone would need to tell you ??

9. OleBlue2

OleBlue2 TS Member

I wouldn't say you far off. Our friendly, look out for the best intrest of the voting public rep. passed a bill as a rider and blind sided gun owners in cook county.

Basically if you own a gun which can hold more than 3 shells you have to turn them in. If the gun has a plug it's ok but,if you can put 4 2in shells in chamber give it to the cops.

Yes that's right your auto's and pumps [Model 12's] are ileagal in cook county, IL.

Our wonderful govenor even signed it and didn't even blink. After that reassuring talk at the opening at the Grand too. They are already talking about spot checks at gun clubs in the cook county area.

So is he a chickhen little or is he really reading the hand writing on the wall for IL gun owners?

I wonder what's going to happen to the Grand and all those new Hotel Motel Holiday inns? Will they be leaving the light on for the shooters?

10. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Here is the news video I saw last night on my local news about the death threat if the video dont play then select this story in the Top Story files on the main page and it should be around the 24th one down in the list here is the name of it just click it

Illinois' Rising Electric Rates Prompt Death Threats

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think that's why they're called the "power company".

Jay

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I say...If he is not a danger to himself or the congressman...GIVE HIM HIS DAMN GUNS BACK!!!

I'm sure this fella isn't any different than the rest of us that get pissed at our elected officials.

One more thing....The gov't may not charge this guy with anything, but may take him to court for a "mental evaluation", and a liberal judge may ORDER him in for "treatment". This could do the guy in with regards to any future gun ownership.

13. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Ahh the world is much safer now that you take the guys guns and raise his electric bill

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So much for the FOID card not being used to confiscate guns.

15. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

As a lawful illinois gun owner my hats off to the Illinois State Police. Had this individual carried out any action against our local Senator people would have been screaming we should have taken this individual seriously. This is not a knee jerk reaction...anytime...anytime someone makes or implies a credible threat it should be investigated. If ISP took action as drastic as confiscation of weapons then there must be more to the story then we are being told. Working in public service as well often details are not advertised to help maintain the integrity of the case. Don't prejudge people who are working to protect our safety. If this were your family you would expect the same. Senator Forby has had to ruffle some feathers in his fight to help the citizens of Southern Illinois with the electric rate issue and My hat is off to both him and the members of the Illinois State Police for doing their job.

16. Brian in Oregon

Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton, whose office fielded the angry call, said initial media reports that there was a death threat against himself and Senate President Emil Jones aren't accurate.<br>
    <br>
    "There was never, ever a death threat. We just had a concerned person … who was upset about his Ameren bill,'' Forby said Wednesday.<br>
    <br>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
    <br>
    glcmedic118, please prove to us that there was a threat. Your statement contradicts what Senator Gary Forby say.<br>

17. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Not having been there to experience this particular event, I cannot say for certain what happened. If there was indeed a viable threat, then the police may have been justified in their actions.

I have worked as a Congressional staff office intern when I was a senior in college (1988), answered phones and heard a LOT of people day in and day out complain, sometimes angrily, over issues affecting them. I was assigned to Military & Veterans Affairs, and believe me, there were a LOT of angry people - many with justifiable issues, like - no access to cardiac care at the VA Medical Center, rated partial disability for very low benefit payouts, messed up hardship discharge cases, etc.

Hearing the occasional swear word over the phone was not uncommon and best efforts to be the persons' advocate and be as empathetic as possible-which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Once in a while - you'd get the local "nut" and we'd pretty much laugh things off afterward. However, times have changed as a result of so many whack jobs going postal over this or that and over things that are trivial in comparison to what a lot of ill and injured vets are going through. So, in that light, I can understand the police getting involved and a firearms seizure with investigation as a result.

With that said, there is the other side of the coin and that is - the knee jerk overreaction to anything someone PERCEIVES or says is true about the intentions of another. Here in my home state of CT, we have an ominous and draconian "turn in your neighbor" law that was passed in 1999 and it has been used and abused to the benefit of many a jilted girlfriend, estranged or separated wife, or antagonistic neighbor with a dispute over whose tree limb is hanging over whose yard, or whose dog pooped in the other's yard, etc.

All that needs to be done in CT to get someone's guns confiscated is a phone call to the local police saying something like, "so and so and I had an argument about this or that, and although I don't believe he actually threatened me, I know he owns guns and I just don't feel safe".

WHAMO! Instant SWAT team door breakdown, permit and gun confiscation and NO ARREST. NO CRIMINAL CHARGE necessarily. There will be a police investigation - "did you threaten your girlfriend, Molly?" etc. Then, the person CAN get his guns back and permit restored - after say about six months of legal red tape and ten to fifteen thousand $ in legal fees.

The classic CT example of what happens here is our infamous "Re-banning" of "AK type" that occurred in 2002.

Guy owns many guns. An AK 47 facsimile is among them. Guy gets into verbal bitch fest with girlfriend. Girl calls cops and. Cops come and take the guy's guns away. Guy WINS guns back in court, case is thrown out - guy gets all guns back EXCEPT the AK clone which State police tells him is banned under CT Gen Statute 53a-202 (assault weapons ban) starting a whole new debate over what is and what isn't banned under state law.

(One State police sergeant's opinion in the weapons office, caused a judge in a tiny, northwestern hills section of the state to bang his gavel and make a decision from the bench that whatever the cop says is banned is banned in DEFIANCE of a CT State Supreme Court decision over the same interpretation issue in 1995 - even though the guy had a receipt from a CT gun store and the SAME state police weapons office said for eight years following the 1993 state ban this particular version was NOT affected by the ban) causing EVERY person in the state who owned a similar facsimile, myself included, to re-register them as Non Transferrable, non intrastate sellable, and oh by the way, no you can't have another one, banned "assault weapons"

So I and about ten thousand other state residents got the big old, BOHICA on that one, mostly because the defendant in that case decided to go "pro se" and represent himself in court without an attorney thinking that a libtard judge and a politically motivated cop seeking promotion wanting a taxidermed head in the trophy case would somehow listen to reason, facts, proof and uphold the Constitution they swore to protect and defend.

This is the world we live in and we are all safer because of it, aren't we???

18. Brian in Oregon

Steve-CT, just think of the potential guns that will be next. We saw clearly where this is going with the attempted renewal of the 1994 AWB add ons, and with the current HR-1022 that bans sporting shotguns. All at the whim of a judge and a cop. The anti's couldn't ask for a sweeter setup. Extra legal gun bans beyond the ability of gunowners to do anything about it.

19. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Exactly Brian. HR 1022 is a befitting house bill number - it will ban everything from the Ruger 10/22 on up the line.

Put a black stock and an extended choke tube with holes in it on an H&R Topper
    "snake charmer" or "survivor" version with the M-16 patterned pistol grip and voila - Instant $100 single shot, break open "assaut weapon".

Run a demo with a shotshell versus phone book at ten feet and watch shotshells get banned as "weapons of mass destruction"

The guy in NY who shot it out with NY State police (where one of their MRT guys got shot and killed by one of their own!) last week had .30-30 and .22
    rifles. (escaped convict with a felony record)

20. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

I would like all of you fella trapshooters, who don't like guns,to go to Sparta, Illinois and support the State of Illinois, they need your money, and they will get your guns eventually. As a former Illinois resident(48 years) it is a good place to be from. Illinois is one of the most ANTI-GUN states in the nation. Everytime you go to Illinois you are supporting these ant-gun politicians, Gov. Blaskovich, Richard Daley, Dick Turbin(Durbin), Barac Obama, and the rest of the cronnies in the Daley Machine. They built Sparta to milk you trapshooters, so go up there and give them your milk (money). They need it to support the police protection you all need at the Grand American. They will never get a nickle of my money anymore. Ellen O'Connor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.