1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois FOID Info

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by scott calhoun, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

There was a previous thread about buying shells at Walmart and issues with out of state residents. At the time the ISP website was unavailable, but it's up today so I pulled some of the relevant info from it and it is posted below. This info all came from the ISP website, and if you would like to review all of the info you can follow the link above.

Note that the FOID act applies to firearms and ammunition.

The format might not be the greatest, it's a cut/paste job from the website.

Scott

If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?
    Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
    Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.

Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
    (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,
    stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm
    ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:

5) Nonresident hunters during hunting season, with
    valid nonresident hunting licenses and while in an area where hunting is permitted; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range
    recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(8) Nonresidents while at a firearm showing or
    display recognized by the Department of State Police; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and
    enclosed in a case;

(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or
    registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

2. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Every time I bought ammo in Illinois I had to show my FOID card first. I also had to show my FOID card every time I went to the gun club. It was a public club operated by the town. Maybe things have changed, but at that time you needed an FOID to buy ammo. That is why all of the mail order ammo suppliers will not ship to Illinois.

I live in New Jersey now. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Fin -

My post was directed at non-residents of Illinois. Illinois residents do have to show a FOID when purchasing ammo. Some public clubs check FOID cards to ensure that users of the facility have them, although it's the person possessing the firearm/ammo that would have the problem. I believe it's just to avoid potential problems.

Scott

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Finprof-

Our range requires IL residents to present FOIDs or an OOS DL to purchase ammo and even those who are not purchasing (have reloaded ammo or purchased offsite) are asked for a FOID or questioned about possible prohibitions to show that can legally possess a firearm/ammo.

Even with a FOID, there are also age limitations for minors - so parents or a guardian in "loco parentis" are asked to present a FOID to actually purchase the ammo if the young person is under 16.

As Scott said above, we do it as a precautionary measure, the range operation does not consider itself a party to enforcement.

Jay Spitz

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

In case a non-resident might be thinking of getting an Illinois

In case any non-residents are thinking of getting an FOI card so they can buy ammunition when they come to Illinois - no dice. You have to provide your Illinois drivers license number with your application.

I

foi

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

All they ever ask for at Walmarts is your ATA card and occasionally your drivers license. Don't look for problems where they don't exist.

Don

7. PAPAJAY

PAPAJAY TS Member

Just came from walmart bought shells showed foid card and that was it..
    Guy in front of me from Texas should ID and that was all.
    No problem buying shells and they have plenty of them all flavors. Fed Papers
    also little hi for me.. $68. AA and Rem $55.70..

Place looks great but it is Hot, Hot.. 76 now pretty nice...

8. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Finprof:

I learned a long time ago to use the word ALL sparingly. Just FYI, not ALL mail order houses refuse to ship ammo to Illinois. Sportsman's Guide will ship as long as you provide a copy of a valid FOID and Illinois Driver's License.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buying ammo in illinois for trap shoot

in loco parentis illinois foid card

is an foid card required for skeet trap shooting in illinois