1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois Firearm Owners!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Roger IL, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Thought you may be interested.

May 15, 2007 - Urgent Action Alert - SB1007 Magazine & Gun Ban

This is an Urgent Action Alert on SB1007, a bill sponsored in the Illinois Senate by career anti-gun Senator Dan Kotowski (D - Park Ridge) and Republican Senator John Millner from Bloomingdale. This bill would ban commonly available magazines for many firearms that hold more than 10 rounds, and would also ban many firearms with tubular magazines that more than 10 rounds, such as ever action rifles owned by cowboy action shooters and many shotguns. This bill does nothing to reduce crime and would penalize law-abiding gun owners in Illinois.

This bill passed the Illinois Senate last week on a 31 to 26 vote. It's now in the House Executive Committee and could pass out from that committee onto the floor of the House.

It's important that you to help make sure that this bill gets defeated in the Illinois House, as Governor Blagojevich would cheerfully sign it immediately if it ever crossed his desk.

Do your part by taking the following actions:
    Call your Representative and urge him or her to not support this bill, SB1007, to vote no on it should it come up for a vote. Even if you have received assurances in the past from your representative in the past that he or she is in your corner and supports the second amendment, do not neglect making that call on this bill.
    The ISRA webmaster and the ISRA staff in Chatsworth have fielded many calls and emails from angry and surprised gun owners whose Senators voted for this bill last week.

Make a personal visit to your representative's local office in your district to show your support for the Second Amendment. Bring family members or a shooting buddy with you when you go. Leave a personal message for your representative urging the defeat of SB1007.

Call the Springfield (217-782-3696) and district office (847-566-5115) of Illinois Representative Ed Sullivan, Jr. (R - Mundelein) and urge that he withdraw as Chief Co-Sponsor of this punitive legislation. Never mind that he's not in your district, his direct advocacy of this ban impacts all Illinois gun owners.
    Please forward this alert to all bulletin boards.............Roger

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

What shotgun has a tubular magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds?

3. incognito

incognito TS Member

99% of shotguns with tubular magazines! You won't be shooting 870s or 1100s anymore.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

The ban is for any tubular magazine that hold more than 10 rounds ... not even with an extension can you get 10 rounds into a magazine of an 870, 1100 or any shotgun and I'm not aware of anyone making a bolt action shotgun with a magazine of more than 3 or 4 rounds.

So Mr Icognito ... care to take another stab at the answer? What shotguns are they referring to?

5. incognito

incognito TS Member

I can do it with no problem. I'm sorry you don't know how.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oh I know how ... its called a magazine extension but unless you go out and purchase one so you can have massive fire-power you aint able to do it and I think that is what the ban is for ... massive fire power.

BTW ... do you perceive a reason why you would need such firepower from your shotgun? Is it for some sporting reason? Maybe your such a bad shot that you want to need 9 or 10 more attempts to hit the target?

7. incognito

incognito TS Member

#1. Nope... no magazine extension needed.

#2. Because I believe in the 2nd Amendment right to self protection. It has nothing to do with sport shooting or hunting.

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Not all shotshells are 2 3/4 inches long.

9. scott calhoun

The following is from the Illinois State Legislature website. It's not the entire bill but I clipped the pertinent parts.

This will ban any handgun magazine that will hold more than 10 rounds. And if you get caught with one good luck proving that you owned it prior to the ban and you are protected under the grandfather clause. I believe the shotgun mag tube ban is implied via the "or similar device" wording.

6 (720 ILCS 5/24-1.8 new)
    7 Sec. 24-1.8. Manufacture, possession, delivery, sale, and
    8 purchase of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.
    9 (a) As used in this Section:
    10 "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means:
    11 (1) a detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or
    12 similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be
    13 readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10
    14 rounds of ammunition; or
    15 (2) any combination of parts from which a device
    16 described in paragraph (1) can be assembled.
    17 "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" does not
    18 include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and
    19 capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition,
    20 any device designed to be used with an antique firearm as
    21 defined in 27 C.F.R. 478.11, any device designed to be used
    22 with a muzzle-loading firearm used for "black powder" hunting,
    23 any device designed as a reproduction of a historical piece of
    1 military equipment for use in battle re-enactments, or any
    2 device that has been made permanently inoperable.

10 (c) This Section does not apply to a person who possessed a
    11 device prohibited by subsection (b) before the effective date
    12 of this amendatory Act of the 95th General Assembly. On or
    13 after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 95th
    14 General Assembly, such person may transfer such device only to
    15 an heir, an individual residing in another state maintaining
    16 that device in another state, or a dealer licensed as a federal
    17 firearms dealer under Section 923 of the federal Gun Control
    18 Act of 1968.

19 (d) This Section does not apply to or affect any of the
    20 following:
    12 (5) Possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding
    13 device at events taking place at the World Shooting and
    14 Recreational Complex at Sparta, only while engaged in the
    15 legal use of the device, or while traveling to or from this
    16 location if the items are broken down in a non-functioning
    17 state, or are not immediately accessible, or are unloaded
    18 and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box,
    19 or other container.
    20 (6) Possession of any large capacity ammunition
    21 feeding device if that large capacity ammunition feeding
    22 device is sanctioned by the International Olympic
    23 Committee and by USA Shooting, the national governing body
    24 for international shooting competition in the United
    25 States, but only when the large capacity ammunition feeding
    26 device is in the actual possession of an Olympic target
    1 shooting competitor or target shooting coach for the
    2 purpose of storage, transporting to and from Olympic target
    3 shooting practice or events if the device is broken down in
    4 a non-functioning state, is not immediately accessible, or
    5 is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box,
    6 shipping box, or other container, and when the Olympic
    7 target shooting competitor or target shooting coach is
    8 engaging in those practices or events.
    9 (7) Possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding
    10 device only for a hunting use expressly permitted under the
    11 Wildlife Code, or while traveling to or from a location
    12 authorized for such hunting use under the Wildlife Code if
    13 the items are broken down in a non-functioning state, or
    14 are not immediately accessible, or are unloaded and
    15 enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or
    16 other container.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... your blurb about your 2nd Amendment right to self protection right reminds me of this person who joined a local club and then showed up to shoot a tactical model 870 with an short barrel, pistol grip stok, magazine extension, magazine tube mounted flashlight, sling setup, ghost ring sights and wearing a tactical vest. At first nothing was said to the man until he tried to walk up to the line with shot larger than #7-1/2. He mumbled and grumbled about not being able to shoot what he brought with him so somebody handed him a box of Top Gun #8's. He then proceeded to try and load 5 rounds into his gun. He was informed that all he needed was 1 round at a time and he began to mumble and grumble again about 5 birds per station and he didn't see a problem with loading all 5 at once. When it was explained to him about a safe weapon on the line for the other shooters he began to mumble and grumble again ... it was at this point the range officer asked him to clear his weapon and step off the line.

During the conversation of range safety and what was allowed and not allowed at the club he began to rant and rave about his 2nd Amendment rights and all he wanted to do was shoot. He was told that as long as he followed the club rules he could shoot. He shot with the next group but while shooting some of the other members grabbed the range officer and the a couple of the club officers who were there that day and asked them to watch this shooter. They pulled him off the line during the round and began a conversation with him regarding his style of combat shooting. He would get into a ready stance like he was sweaping his home in the middle of the night looking for an intruder. They informed him that was not a safe manner on the range and that if he did not wanted to continue to shoot that way he would be asked to leave. He proceeded again to rant about his 2nd Amendment rights and such but the club officers would stand for none of it. They told him follow the rules of the club or he could not shoot and he shut up.

One of the club officers disappeared while the others and the range officer stayed to watch this person shoot. The first target on the next round that person shot he was warned about his shooting style. The next round he was once again pulled from the line and he instantly began ranting about his 2nd Amendment rights ... well the club officers handed him his dues money back and proceeded to tear up his membership. He was still ranting about his 2nd Amendment rights and he was going to call his attorney come Monday morning and have him take care of this situation. Another member of the club walked over and said to the man that is exactly what he said he was going to do at the other club he was ejected from for the same things he was trying to do at that club but the other club didn't even offer to give his money back ... the person at that time mentioned that none of the other 4 clubs gave his money back either.

The moral of this story is this ... sometimes those who believe and preach and scream about there beliefs of the rights the 2nd Amendment gives us all does more to hurt the cause than it does to help and only gives more power and ammunition to those who want to take those rights away from us.

Do I personally feel the government should interfere with what weapons or magazines I wish to own? No ... I don't think they should but do I feel that there really is any sporting need for a rifle or shotgun that can hold 10+ rounds of ammunition ... nope I don't really see a need and those who instantly fall back upon there 2nd Amendment rights to allow them to do what they wish only IMHO goes to hurt the cause than to help the cause.

So just what do you need so many rounds in your shotgun for Mr Icognito? Are you that bad of a shot?

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

It's not uncommon to see extended magazine tubes that hold more than 10 rounds at a USPSA 3 gun event in the open division, I had one that would hold 14. When will gunowners quit repeating the antigunners test of " who needs that many rounds" or " what's the sporting purpose for that"? Don't fall into the trap of blaming the inanimate object, 100% of the blame belongs on the criminal. The Federal AWB didn't do anything to stop crime and a new version won't either.

12. scott calhoun

Lumper -

Why more than 10 shots. We discussed that this weekend. A guy breaks into your house, you've got 10 shots at him before you have to reload. That should be plenty. 3 guys break into your house, now you are down to 3 each and somebody gets a 4th. Are you that good a shot?

Explain why a gun with 11 rounds loaded in it is more dangerous than a gun with 10 rounds?

Scott

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

BobDog ... guns don't kill people, people kill people.

ccw1911 ... you are correct, there are certain sports that you do need that extended magazine but if it were not for that particular specialized sport just what is the need?

I'm not saying I am for a ban on anything at all. Personally though I do feel there is a need to ban and get rid of certain types of ammunition and weapons from the general public but I do know that if the NRA, gun lobbyists or anyone in the industry were to support the banning of certain things it would be the first step and each step after that would be easier and easier to take in the pursuit of taking any and all weapons from our hands.

14. incognito

incognito TS Member

lumper,

#1. You are a jerk. I knew that in advance based on other statements you have made, and that's why I have jerked you along. Someone already said it, but not all shells are 2-3/4" in length. You can buy them as short as 1-1/2", maybe shorter by now. You obviously don't understand the Constitution, and have no business opening your mouth concerning what sort of gun I want to protect my home with, or how many shells it will hold. You are no better than Kennedy, Schumer, Klinton, or Pelosi. I think your story is crap that you made up. Who cares what stance someone takes on the trap line so long as their muzzle is pointed downrange? I've seen some really good trapshooters using very unorthodox stances, but no one told them to leave. And who cares how they are dressed? Why does how they're dressed affect safety in any way? (aside from shooting in the nude, which has been discussed at length on this site, and which I find entirely disgusting except for women, and then it certainly affects safety :>)

#2. As many as I want. It's my house, my family, and my gun. If I can get 25, 50, 100... rounds in it, so much the better. When I have to defend my home against the government (which is what the 2nd Amendment is all about) I want to take as many of them as I can before I go.

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Scott ... first thing I am going to do if an individual or more invade my home is barricade and protect my family in a locked room while I call 911. Anyone who tries to force entry into that room before the police arrive will be shot. 10 or 11 rounds in a shotgun will only give me mental confidence knowing that if I miss (which I would not) that I would have many more rounds to defend my family with. If it turns into a major fire fight before the police arrive I have many more guns than a shotgun to defend my family with but a blast or two from a 12ga with 3" #4 buckshot will stop a person/people and do more damage than a pistol with a 20 round magazine.

16. scott calhoun

You realize that this applies to more than just shotguns, right?

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

"If you're in a fair fight, you planned it wrong"

Now, you may think you can handle three or four assailants with your trap gun Lumper, but I'll stick with my riot gun with its 7 shell magazine.

Michael

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr Icognito ... thanks for the laughs. Whenever somebody starts with a personal attack like you only shows that they have nothing worth saying at all and most if not almost all is ignorable from that point on.

There are those out there that help fight the good fights each and every day and then there are those that hurt the fight each and every day. There are also those like a few on this thread who think they are fighting the good fight but in all reality are only helping the opposition by what they say and do.

We must ask ourselves which one of those we are?

19. incognito

incognito TS Member

There was no personal attack in what I said. Only my observations. And you are still a jerk....... based on my observations.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Scott ... yes I do and I also read the posted information and noticed where it does not and would not include 22's and other certain weapons for certain types of shooting sports. That bill along with many others out there are for more specific than we realize. IMHO they want to take away things like an AK47 with a 50 round magazine from those who only want to do harm to our fellow human being. Do I feel it is right they want to do it or feel the need to do it? No I do not think it is right but unfortunately in this day in age of our society it is more than likely at times a needed evil.

Slick13 ... you and I think alike. The only problem though is my weapon of choice does not have a shell in the chamber. The sound a pump shotgun makes is almost as spine twinging as the distinctive sound a .45 makes when you rack the slides. Those sounds in the dark or from the dark are sounds that everyone knows and nobody wants to hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.