1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois Dove Hunting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Is the Dove hunting in Illinois better than the Rabbit hunting?

Pat Ireland

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pat only away from the Clays course. LOL

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you do your research and work with the farmers you can shoot 'til you're sore.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

It better be. We put in about an acre of sunflowers which we are going to mow today. When I sprayed them a week and a half ago, there were quite a few of the little ghosts flitting around.

Public areas can be feast or famine. I've had days at Mackinaw where we limited out and days where we got five or fewer shots. Depends on what field and the weather.

Generally, it can be quite good. My rabbit population has gone to hell in a handbasket due to the coyotes.

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Pat you must be bored.LOL

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Check out one of the State Parks on the IDNR web-site....I know there are a few out there that offer it...Even though I never go Dove shooting, I love dove season as it signals the start of hunting season! Hooooah!!!

7. UplandBri

UplandBri TS Member

I'll let you know next Friday!!! But I don't have a outhouse tag yet..

8. 2 kluk

2 kluk Member

Pat

We normally have great dove hunting. Many state parks have dove hunting over sunflower fields. Most public areas get shot out after a few days.

The best hunting is on private ground (sunflowers and/or wheat) that is sensibly managed like a good duck club.

Cool weather in Wisc. and Minn. will send them here in droves. They will stay until driven out by cool weather, particularly cold rains.

For most hunters it is also a big social event with tailgate parties or elaborate lunches, assembly line cleaning, then have an adult beverage and tell lies about how many shells were expended per bird.

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

2Kluk usually manages to get two doves per shot, timing them so they fly by in pairs. Better than he does on doubles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.