1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois Congressman's response to my email

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by todddietrich, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Illinois Congressman

I filled out the Ruger Online "contact your politican" link to express my concerns over gun control. I was pleasantly surprised to get a response from my district congressman Bill Enyart.

The link to the online form is attached.

regards,

Todd Dietrich

The following is his reply.

Dear Todd:

I want you to know I received your message regarding gun owner rights and the 2nd Amendment.

In light of the Obama Administration's proposed gun control plan, I am forming the Southern Illinois Gun Task Force to undertake protecting gun owners 2nd Amendment rights while addressing mental health concerns and reducing gun violence.

Please be assured I will keep your views in mind going forward in the 113th Congress.

Sincerely,

Bill Enyart
    Member of Congress

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Your reply contained way more content than I got in mine from our Senator..my governors said thank you for supporting my stance on gun control???? Our Gov is the lost twin brother to Cuomo..a loser,..wants to be prez in '16 so beware

3. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Here is the response I received from my representative, I was pretty impressed:

Dear Mr. Humphrey:

Thank you for contacting me to share your support of gun-ownership rights. I appreciate this opportunity to correspond with you.

I am, and will continue to be, a firm supporter of a law-abiding citizen's right to own firearms. This right is protected by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and I do not support laws that would impede the use of firearms or ammunition magazines for hunting, self-defense, sporting, or other legal purposes.

As you are aware, following the recommendations of a gun-control task force led by Vice President Biden, on January 16, 2013, President Barack Obama signed 23 executive orders that among other provisions, affect the information sharing between federal agencies for firearm background checks, attempts to clarify mental health services available through Medicaid, and provides incentives for schools to hire security personnel and develop emergency preparedness plans.

Additionally, the President called on Congress to pass legislation instituting a universal background check for firearm purchases, renew a ban on selling or transferring semi-automatic rifles, and prohibit the sale of ammunition magazines containing more than 10 rounds.

I believe many of these recommendations are misplaced, unfairly targeting law-abiding gun owners, while shifting the focus away from the root cause of the violence that threatens our schools and public places. As a nation, we must address the gaps in our mental health policy to ensure that people receive the help they need. That is why I supported mental health parity as a state senator and I will continue to address the issue on the federal level.

As the father of two young children, I am dedicated to finding a solution that prevents the tragedy of Sandy Hook Elementary School from being repeated. However, by establishing policies through 23 Executive Orders, the President denied the public the opportunity it deserves to engage in a serious discussion on violence, while violating the legislative authority of Congress.

Please be assured I have noted your specific comments. I will keep your views in mind as Congress considers proposals to address violence.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if I may be of assistance in the future. For additional information on where I stand on the policies and issues before Congress, please sign up for my e-newsletter at: www.stivers.house.gov. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
    Sincerely,

Steve Stivers
    Member of Congress

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

here is one of my Senators, the other one hasn't responded yet.
    Typical Democrat!!

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

5. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Here is my response.

Thank you for contacting me regarding 2nd Amendment rights and the Administration’s proposed gun control measures. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

On December 14, 2012, our nation experienced an unspeakable tragedy in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this terrible event, as well as to their families and loved ones. Now is the time to pause and reflect as to how we can prevent such events in the future in a manner consistent with our rights and values.

On January 16, 2013, the Administration announced a comprehensive gun control proposal, including a two-pronged legislative initiative and 23 separate Executive Actions. The proposed legislative initiatives focus on a universal background check system and a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

The 2nd Amendment right of American citizens to keep and bear arms has been clearly upheld by the Supreme Court as an explicitly individual right. While I can support measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, I will not support any legislation that infringes on the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise their Constitutionally-guaranteed right to legal gun ownership. Hasty action by Congress will not prevent gun violence. If we hope to stop another tragedy like Sandy Hook, then it must be through deliberative action that makes it harder for criminals to acquire firearms, and easier for those who need mental health care to access it.

The vast majority of gun owners are neither criminals nor mentally unsound, and limiting their ability to buy or possess firearms will do little to solve our real problems. In the coming weeks, I look forward to discussing legislative options with my colleagues as we consider the current and future role of our federal government in preventing these atrocious tragedies. Be assured, I will do everything in my power to uphold and defend the Second Amendment and the rights it entails.

I value your input and will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates these issues. Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In Service,
    Todd Young
    Member of Congress

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Any one reassured YET??

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Here is my gun hating Senator

Dear Mr. Haskins:

Thank you for contacting me about gun control measures in light of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share with all Americans a profound sense of sorrow at the senseless act of violence committed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The nation mourns this event and many Americans wonder what can be done to prevent this type of tragedy in the future.

I am an original cosponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would reinstate a ban on magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The ban on multi-round magazines expired along with the federal assault weapons ban in 2004.

The majority of Americans and the majority of thoughtful gun owners and hunters agree that there must be reasonable limits on gun ownership and weapons. We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. “Straw” purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.

The United States Supreme Court has raised questions about the Second Amendment and the protections and responsibilities under this Constitutional amendment. I plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Hearing in the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Subcommittee to address this Constitutional question and how to forward on gun control.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families in Newtown, Connecticut, as we remember the children and teachers who lost their lives.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
    Richard J. Durbin
    United States Senator

8. todddietrich

When you fill out the form on the Ruger website, you can click to whom to send this too. Sen. Durbin was on the list, but I figured he was a lost cause. I also passed on our President and Vice President. In my opinion, they really don't want to hear my concerns.

Todd

9. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

I wrote letters and sent e mails and never received any response. Typical for Northern Illinois!

Semper

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have never received any correspondence from any of my representatives except for the unsolicited kind.I am sure they think they know what is best for me so there is no reason to answer my letters.They are doing such a great job and are working so hard I really shouldn't be bothering them.Yep the state of Ca. is in great shape.

Darr

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I send them all emails almost every day. John

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Here in Michigan after writing to my senators, this is the response I got;

Any Questions?

Chuck

13. zinger

zinger Member

here's mine:
    Dear Ms. Bateman,

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts about current issues. Please be assured that constituent correspondence will receive a reply in the near future
    Sincerely,
    Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

14. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Here is one of my responses....

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your thoughts on federal gun control measures in light of the recent tragedy in Connecticut.

A terrible and incomprehensible act of violence took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School. We are all deeply impacted by the horror of little children and brave adults being murdered. There are many serious issues that will need to be discussed and considered in the weeks and months to come. But right now, our primary concern should be for the families and the community of Newtown.

At moments like this, America comes together to mourn and support one another. We will do so again in the coming days, and then search for answers on how to prevent such tragedies in the future

As your Senator, I believe it is my primary responsibility to uphold the Constitution and the Second Amendment is no exception. I will continue to strongly support our Second Amendment rights. One of the bills I have chosen to cosponsor regarding the Second Amendment is S. 570 introduced by Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) on March 14, 2011. This bill would prohibit the Department of Justice from tracking and cataloguing the purchases of multiple rifles and shotguns.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. It is important for me to hear the views and concerns of the people I serve. Please feel free to contact me in the future if I can further assist you or your family. It is an honor representing you and the good people of Wisconsin in the U.S. Senate.

Sincerely,
    Ron Johnson
    United States Senator

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

I actually recieved a phone call from Mitch McConnell. He's on our side guys.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I received one informal response from my state rep, saying he had received my e-mail. Nothing from the rest.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Here is what Senator Reid sent me;

Thank you for contacting me to express your views regarding gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

As a gun owner, I welcomed the Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, which made clear that every law abiding citizen has an individual constitutional right to keep and bear arms. We must work to protect this right by enforcing laws that keep guns away from terrorists and criminals. However, the rights of responsible gun owners should not be compromised by individuals who use firearms to commit crimes. Please be assured that I have noted your views regarding this issue, and that I will continue to use my leadership position in the Senate to defend the Second Amendment and to protect the interests of Nevada's gun owners.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. For more information about my work for Nevada, my role in the United States Senate Leadership, or to subscribe to regular e-mail updates on the issues that interest you, please visit my Web site at http://reid.senate.gov. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

HARRY REID
    United States Senator

Also Mark Amodei sent the following;

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control and your thoughts on the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

One struggles to find the words to adequately address the unimaginable horror of the tragedies that took place in the communities of Newtown, Aurora, Tuscon, Blacksburg, and Columbine. Nevada's deepest sympathies, thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. Such senseless violence, perpetuated by individuals bereft of any respect for human life, can only be described as evil. Their actions leave us shaken and searching for answers.

In the search for answers, the temptation is to do something, anything, to prevent such evil from ever happening again. That is a natural response. Unfortunately, powerful emotions are not always the best foundation for sound policies.

Americans are citizens, not subjects. Our government derives its power from the consent of the people. Our liberties, including the right to bear arms, pre-exist the founding of our government, and the people did not give up their individual rights when they consented to its creation. Nor are there any provisions in our founding documents to deprive the people of these freedoms when certain individuals abuse theirs.

Every night, millions of law-abiding, gun-owning American citizens go sleep without harming others, their families, or themselves. Quite the contrary, in numerous instances, citizens exercise their right to utilize firearms to protect their lives and property.

Moreover, many of the policy prescriptions advocated for in the traumatic aftermath of these shootings would not have prevented the atrocities from happening. If Congress is to act, I believe it should focus its energy on measures that would actually make our communities safer, rather than to satisfy emotional desires or political agendas.

Common-sense safeguards on gun ownership should not arbitrarily and unnecessarily infringe on the rights of responsible, law-abiding citizens. Congress should take steps to keep firearms out of the hands of mentally-disturbed individuals and criminals. Furthermore, Congress and civil society need to come to terms with how we can help families struggling with the challenges of mental illness.

Regarding the issuance of executive orders by President Obama, I believe that a proper checks and balance system is a necessary aspect of government. The President has consistently demonstrated his inefficient leadership ability and fails to understand the basic Constitutional rights guaranteed to every American.

I will not support proposals that apply a hyperbolic assault weapon label to commonplace semi-automatic shotguns used for skeet and other shotgun sports, bird hunting, and home protection, and semi-automatic rifles used primarily for marksmanship competitions and to train for national defense purposes. A law that bans a gun on the basis of the shape of its grip, or because its stock is adjustable, and that limits the number of rounds of ammunition a law-abiding citizen may have in a gun for self-defense, strikes me as arbitrary and more likely to adversely affect law-abiding citizens than it does criminals. Along with the right to keep and bear arms comes the responsibility to use them properly. Millions of law-abiding citizens understand this responsibility. To reduce criminal activity and thus enhance the safety and security of our communities we must enforce existing laws.

As our nation continues to grieve, I pray that we honor the victims with an honest discussion of how best to truly prevent such violence and that we arrive at concrete solutions that respect our civil liberties.

I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to apprise me of your opinions and hope that you will contact me again should you have any further comments or concerns. If you would like additional information on my activities in the House, please visit my website, www.Amodei.house.gov or connect with me on facebook.com/MarkAmodeiNV2 and twitter.com/MarkAmodeiNV2.

In closing, please know that I consider it a privilege to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.

Sincerely,

Mark E. Amodei
    Member of Congress

18. todddietrich

Wolfram,
    I would happily trade you two senators and a couple representatives for your one congressman. I might even throw in a state rep and a dog catcher.

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.