1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois AG, FOID Public Release & GRAND SHOOTERS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

On the face of it the question I am about to ask would sound like stupidity rules the day. BUT, since this involves the Illinois Attorney General, she has set the bar for stupidity well beyond this question.

Since the Illinois AG has said that it is correct to publish the names of the Illinois Firearms Owners (FOID) what protection is there for any non-Illinois shooter who may come into the state just for a shoot like any of them held at the WSRC? Could this I(diot)Illinois AG request, or even get a subpoena to obtain the names of shooters who are entered into an event at the Shooting Center? I realize that they may be, at least at present, exempted from the Illinois FOID but what other shenanigans could this joker try to pull to get the info?

Obviously on this list the Grand is the prime question but there is also the Illinois State Shoot and the other types of shooting (pistol, cowboy, skeet, Sporting Clays, Rifle, Muzzleloader and whatever else) that draw shooters from out of state and the event organizers would know their names, addresses and at least what type of firearm they would be using (and own) for that particular event. I would think handgunners and those who may shoot those "Evil Black Guns" in CMP matches may be particularly at risk.

Since they are in Illinois, even temporarily, could they end up having their names released to the public?

(edited to correct gender)jp

2. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

first of all the ag is not a he but her, and she is from chicago, wouldn't worry bout coming to shoot any sanction shooting event, don't really think anything u mention will ever be an issue, so come on to the grand and enjoy the nice warm il. summer in august, and break some 100 straits...dk

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

People bash Illinois because..well, some people just like to bash things. Illinois has a long and rich tradition in trapshooting. It still has some of the best and friendliest clubs in the country: Bunker Hill, Rend Lakd, Maywood, St. Charles, Downers Grove, McHenry to name just a few.

In 40 years I have never heard of a single incident of a trapshooter being harrassed in any way in connection with trapshooting in Illinois. I challenge anyone to recount any experience to the contrary.

4. 1ozreloader

1ozreloader TS Member

Lisa Madigan is on a power trip. I would not bet against her trying to do anything.
    What also should be noted here is that when obama was a State Senator he sponsored a bill that would end ALL ownership of firearms in Illinois. Of course it was mostly a dog and pony show to garner votes in Cook County but the fact reamins it was attempted. That is why any firearm oner that voted for Obama was indeed voting against their right to bear arms. At this time Obama and his minions are formulating an anti gun attack. They are going to use the Arizona shooting to rile people up and use that emotion to begin implementation of the Democrat's anti gun agenda!
    I understand there are some Democrats are not anti 2nd Amendment. You must remember though, Madigan and Obama are products of the Chicago Machine. They are totally against private ownership of firearms. Daley is anti concealed carry. If a person that has a permit in Indiana would happen to forget they are carrying, and enter Chicago, they face prosecution.
    yet as Daley travels through Indiana on his way to his Michigan cottage, his guards remain armed! Guess he likes his people able to protect him, but you not able to protect yourself.

5. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Lisa Moron, our IL Attorney General, is the new anti'gun bitch in the mix this year. Claims the release is for the AP in a freedom of information act request. This is the tip of the iceberg. With the release of the FOID names, will come info about home addresses, type of guns and serial numbers that you own. If the FOID list is opened then all of this info will come out. It always does. The Il State Police is refusing to release anything and is going to fight this in court if it comes to that. Good news is today a concealed carry law made it out of the Ag committee by a vote of 12-2. HB 148 is on its way to the full house. If you are an Ill resident please call your rep and voice your support for this bill if you are a CC supporter.

6. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

I heard that ALL out of state shooters would be stopped at the borders of the State during the Grand and forced to turn around and not let them shoot the grand! That way no one from out of State could win ANY of the prize money at the Grand, and then a special tax would be assessed whereby the shooters WOULD actually owe more then what they actually won! What with the high price of gas and target fees how will the GA survive? Anyone confirm that or not? Rick Gibbs

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

pyrdek:

The release of FOID holder names came about because of a request for FOID records by an Associated Press (AP) reporter. The request was filed under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) with the Illinois State Police (ISP) who maintains FOID records. The ISP refused to release them.

The AP appealed that decision to the Illinois Attorney General (AG), Lisa Madigan.

The conflict centers on whether FOID records are "public information" as defined by FOIA. AG Madigan assigned the question to one of her flunky staffers who decided FOID records are "public inforrmation". The ISP politely but promptly told the AG to go pound sand up her @ss.

I suppose the AP or anyone else could make a FOIA request for a list of Grand Americn shooters. Someone could make the same request for any or all of the Satellite Grands, state and provincial shoots, etc. Such a request wouldn't go anywhere because such records aren't created or maintained by a government body thus FOIA wouldn't apply.

Someone (anyone actually) could attempt to subpeona such records. However, a subpeona would require a court order which means the requesting party would have to convince a judge there was a legitimate legal reason to issue said subpoena. That aint gonna happen.

The bottom line? birddogs46 is correct. Don't worry about it. I hope my note helps you understand why.

sissy

Edited addition...

Good Lord. The ATF may have (or have access to) records of gun sales and purchases but such records are NOT any part of Illinois FOID records.

The issuance of a FOID card means the person to whom it was issued may legally "possess" a firearm under statutory provisions. Those provisions are essentially identical to federal requirements for firearm ownership.

Simply stated, the State of Illinois doesn't know if you own a gun or not. If you do, they don't know what, how many, serial numbers or any other such data. That has been true since FOID was created forty odd years ago and remains true today.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Rick Gibbs,

If only Illinois shooters were going to shoot at the Grand the prize money wouldn't cover expenses with the exception of the donations from Bill and LeAnn Martin from Utah ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Thank you for those who responded with factual information about Illinois. One minor follow up, Since the WSRC complex is a State of Illinois owned facility, would that provide any "handle" for the AP to request data about participants under a FOIA request?

I made it to Sparta last year, just in time for the Mother of all Storms. It is a very nice looking operation. Unfortunately my schedule only allowed the one day to visit and I did not get to shoot other than a practice round when the practice traps finally reopened. I would like to attend again, and hopefully get better weather, to actually have a chance to compete there.

For all those who think any question about Illinois, Sparta and/or the Grand is an attack on the Grand, please get a life. Your sarcastic and sometimes quite ridiculous remarks do not paint you in a very favorable light.

10. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

I heard that Bill, I was just trying to poke a little fun at what has been a long winter here in the Land of Lincoln! I think like the 5th or 6th snowiest February here in history! I have a picture or two that was taken of the snow outside the house and LSD! Luckily we got out of town that am and were roasting in Jamaica that afternoon!

Didja sell that hi-rib yet? Rick Gibbs

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

pyrdek--We in the Southern part of the State are good guys and will do anything to prevent such a thing from happening. I can assure you there will be nothing to worry about. The weather we can't control. Hope you do make it and have favorable weather to shoot. Those summer storms can pop up quick and powerful.

Let me clear up that i'm not suggesting our shooting brothers and sisters of the Northern parts of the State are not good guys too. Plenty of good Pro-Gun folks up there too. Chicago is the area that needs removed from the State and take the scum sucking Dems with it. I say let it float off across Lake Michigan and sink it in the middle.--Matt

12. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Grntitan

If Chicago were to be set adrift and sink we would polute a lot of good water.

13. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

Rick; Watch the fun poking. An awful lot of people who read these threads think any thing they see on here is a fact and they like to bash not only Sparta, but the state of Illinois,even tho the state spent over 53 million dollars to build the finest shooting complex in the WORLD. Keep your head down and play all the money. RON PIRO

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hogsan--They are doing a pretty good job of polluting Lake Michigan now.

15. Recoil Sissy

pyrdek:

You asked, "Since the WSRC complex is a State of Illinois owned facility, would that provide any "handle" for the AP to request data about participants under a FOIA request?"

The quick answer is 'no'.

Any legal entity (including individuals, businesses, news organizations, etc.) can - in theory - file a FOIA request about the Grand or any other subject. However, the Grand American isn't a government run event and any record of participants and other data would belong to the ATA not the State of Illinois. The fact that the event is conducted on state owned property is irrelevant.

Here's an example. Assume Mr. Pyrdek walks in to the Department of Motor Vehicles in his state of residence. Assume further that the Associated Press files a request for Mr. Pyrdek's underwear size under FOIA.

The targeted information of this request isn't part of the DMV's records and it wouldn't fall under the jurisdiction of FOIA. The fact you visited a government office with all sorts of records wouldn't change anything.

sissy

16. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

my concern would be the harassment you would get from the anti gun nuts if they knew who the gun owners were.several years ago the local news paper ran an article about my wife hunting with me. they took a picture of her next to a full curl ram.she was harassed for weeks for shooting such a beautiful animal as well as having a gun.i just wonder if the same thing would happen if they had the names and address of all gun owners in illinois.i have lived in illinois for 74 yrs(excluding 4yrs in the AF) so nothing they do in springfield comes as a surprise to me.the bad news is they just got re elected for 4 more years.it would not supprise me if they do try to get the names and address of those shooting at the grand,but it's the only grand we got. i will be there.

tracy

17. Recoil Sissy

tracyhunter:

grntitan lives within rock throwing distance of the WSRC. Many years ago, I lived in Sparta too. With all respect, you'll play heck finding any anti-gunners or anti-hunters there or anywhere downstate.

If you're really concerned about gun issues, the Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day (IGOLD) will be held tomorrow in Springfield. We expect something like 10,000 participants meeting, marching, and communicating directly with members of the General Assembly. I'll be there and I hope you are too.

sissy

PS: If anyone needs more information about IGOLD tomorrow, details are posted on the Illinois Rifle Association website: isra.org

18. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Rick:
    Is that Governor Quinn's secret plan to balance the budget? LOL

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I am not from Ill. so please forgive my ignorance on this subject. What is a FOID card? Must you own a firearm to get one or must get one to own a firearm?
    Once you have a FOID card are you then obligated to purchase a firearm?

Bob Lawless

20. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

bob the fiod card became law in 1968.all residents must have a current foid card to own,possess,use or buy a firearm in Illinois.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.