1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Illegal in Illinois?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

This isn't directly related to trap shooting or shotguns, but it is shooting related.

I'm looking for an answer, a reasonable answer. A customer wants to buy an American Tactical Imports (ATI) GERG Model 2210M1911B from Bud's Guns in Lexington, KY (their Item Number is 75559).

Bud's website state the gun is "Not legal for sale in Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, or South Carolina." I understand that Illinois is really up tight about a lot of things having to do with guns, but I am curious about why they have their shorts in a bunch over a .22 cal handgun. I wrote to Bud's (as one of their FFL dealers) and all they wrote back was "its illegal in Illinois".

If anyone has some answers, I'd really like to get them. I've transferred some "honkin" guns recently, clearly more firepower than a measly .22. I'm just dumbfounded that this little pea shooter is on the Illinois ILLEGAL list.

Larry Frieders
    Grandpa's Arms, Inc.
    http://www.grandpasarms.com
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Can't help you for certain, but I recall IL has a provision banning handguns made of cheaper metals that melt below a certain temp, I have 800 degrees in mind, but not certain. If nothing else is apparant, it could be the reason.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds like Buds doesn't know what they are talking about. Unless you live in Cook County IL, there is nothing preventing an IL resident from owning that gun. Of course i'm 300+ miles South of Crooked Chicago but i am in IL.

If i'm wrong i would like to see where that info is. I have never been told a particular gun was not legal in IL aside from select fire. Of course it would not suprise me with the idiots we had running this State.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

870 has it right - In Illinois - "It is unlawful for a dealer to sell any handgun “having a barrel, slide,frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees F.”

5. grntitan

Gary,

Could you point me to that law? I have been searching for something to that affect and haven't come across it yet. What is the reasoning behind such a law(as if any of Illinois' gun laws seem reasonable)?

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=093-0162

7. grntitan

Thanks "skeet man". I was wrong. I did not know about that law. I still don't completely understand the reasoning behind it but i will admit when i am wrong. Nothing suprises me anymore when it comes to laws in IL.

8. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Sold several of those ATI's here in Illinois I'm afraid they are probably confusing those with the Chippewa (sp) which are of the low melt point the ATI's are not low melt point frames. Why dont you just order him one?

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Larry,

Have your customer check out the SIG 1911-22. There's at least one review that I read where the reviewer believes that the GSG is made by SIG. The SIG costs about $50 more, but it doesn't have the same shipping restrictions.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

GSG in Germany makes all of those 1911 22's. Whether it is the ATI, Colt, or the Sig. They all seem to use different mags, and the Sig has one butt-ugly extended beaver tail (beak).

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.