1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'll never learn! Changing guns again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Husky44, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Well I just returned from testing out the new 682 I bought this week from a fellow trapshooter, interesting day to say the least.
    I adjusted the comb at home to what I believed was good for me..
    So I show up and the regular retired contingent of trapshooters are waiting for me to shoot a round with them.
    Well I inform them the gun is new and has never been shot yet. So they give five different opinions of how to set it up and where to aim, I ignored them all and shot at 25 straight from the 16. All seems right In the world, the gun seems to have the natural born killer instinct imbedded within the guns soul.

Well during the break between rounds the retired contingent of veteran trapshooters gather and all tell me that my breaks didn't look right and I should go pattern my gun, this casts a little doubt in my mind so I hit the grease board. The grease board indicated a 100% high shooting gun. They convince me its too high and the comb needed to be lowered. The next five rounds with five different comb settings
    yielded me nothing higher than a 23! with a few 20's thrown in for good measure.
    So I'm back to being a beginner trap shooter with an adjustable comb that's driving me nuts. When I returned home I set the comb back to where I started from and will learn to shoot the gun as is. I'm leaving the tools home and live with the scores until I learn to shoot it.

I may just go shoot the ATA event tomorrow knowing that I will be shooting beginner scores! What a great feeling it is to be a poor fat trapshooter with a new gun. I need to quit changing guns every month!

Take care

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I keep a diary of my shooting style and technique. One of the statements that is underlined reads: "Experimenting causes forgetting to look for the bird"

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We are fans. Happy shooting

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Is it even remotely possible that your "friends" are using some psychological "warfare" to destroy your confidence after running 'em at the 16? Stick with your plan to keep shooting the gun at the original settings, leaving the tools at home and look at the targets, not the gun. Best Regards, Ed

5. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

They just may be using some psychological “warfare” for a few laughs at my expense, never thought of that. I wondered why they quit shooting and
    watched my next five rounds.

6. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

You need psychiatric help and counseling! Sorry I need it to but not for trap shooting!

Harry

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

My mentor calls it "the ether".

You crack a good score with a new gun immediately - WOW - MAGIC - then you go back to your normal scores, or worse, until you learn the gun.

Most trap shooters do this iteration many times looking for the "right gun". You need to stop screwing around and NEVER listen to the bench warmers who feel good about a 24/25. They have no idea what they are seeing or doing.

Read Winston's posts on reading breaks.

Put in a fairly tight chock and get your gun shooting such that when the sight picture looks right you are smoking birds. THEN put it on paper. That is the POI YOU need for now. Note: it may change over time as your timing speeds up. But there is NO "correct" POI except the one that works for you.

Shoot the bastards for Cokes and ignore their advice. After winning a couple of Cokes take $1 bills as too much Coke is bad for you. After a while, they will stop giving you advice.

Don Verna

8. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

The good score on a new model is mostly due to really concentrating as you haven't a clue where things are going and your brain is working overtime to see the birds, move the gun, etc. Then you relax and well, you know the rest.

I worked my way up to a 97 average my first year shooting with an SKB. Then I sold it for a Krieghoff and shot in D Class last week at the WV state shoot. Finally after a year and half of messing with the gun I have it shooting where I look. And then a buddy says he might sell a Silver Sietz, damn! Here we go again!

On the bright side, I am consistent in my behaviour so I do not consider it a fault!

Courtney

9. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I have some work to do tomorrow with the gun. I lost all confidence in my shooting ability. I’ve only been shooting trap for 13 months and moved up quick with a box full of buckles to prove it. I wouldn’t have got there without soaking in the veterans suggestions. Now I’m like water seeking my own level and it’s not pretty.
    The ATA shoot today was a mistake. Started out good in doubles, then fell apart in handicap (21 yards). I switched to the top barrel after round two (modified choke) and started getting smoke along with running the last 50?? (full in the bottom). Now I’m really confused. Back to the drawing board.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What dcb said in his first paragraph! It the mind that lowers your scores! Not any different when you buy a new set of golf clubs, softball bat, change a choke tube, change the stock, etc.. The difference is the concentration level. I always said the difference between a professional and an amateur, is mainly concentration. Also, the desire to win or be the best. That is where the concentration is automatic. There are millions of people out there that match the physical part of professional persons particular sport. The concentration is the difference maker. Think about that.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the gunsmith and have him put the top barrel on the bottom. HMB

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

Husky44, congrats on your 25 , just a little question, how many of the fellow vet shooters are AAA27AA? if they are not, or not close, it should tell you that you are right and they are wrong, a !00% gun is not high at all and many many good shooters shoot guns with a much higher impact, go back to your original settings and run some more 25's, then shoot some handicap targets, when the good old boys are shooting with you, pound a few 25 straights in handicap.. The higher scores in todays trapshooting are the result of higher impacting guns, in fact, this even goes over to skeet where the accomplished skeet shooters are using trap stocks! go get em! incinerate em!

13. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I don’t know why I even posted this thread. This is my method of operation the last year, buy a new gun and sell it after learning to shoot it.
    I started shooting trap 13 months ago with a field gun and bought a new XT after my first ATA shoot. Worked my way up to AA with that gun, won an event shooting 100 straight and sold the gun before the next shoot. This has been repeated four times in the last 12 months! I’m making a mid-year resolution to keep and shoot this gun for at least 12 months! I have some serious mental issues when it comes to shotguns, need a 12 step program before I’m broke.
    New day starts tomorrow, take care and thanks for the insight.

14. Crickets

Crickets Member

The best response to "club experts" -

"Your Jedi Mind trick don't work on me"

15. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 Member

Go to the gunsmith and have him put the top barrel on the bottom. HMB

Haux, The king of one liners...and funny! Jr

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

First of all, I am a poor fat trapshooter with an "old gun". I use to be a gunaholic myself at one time. I often got a high from tuning in a new gun and than breaking a good score. Once I started shooting well, the gun was as good as gone, and than on to the next gun.

I would like to admit that some where along the line I was cured, but that would be a lie. Funds started to dry up, so than I started trading stocks, than barrels, than triggers, than recoil pads, than front beads, than middle beads.

It is a hard life being a gunaholic when you don't have the funds to treat my addiction. I am now going to Gunaholic's anonimos. Let's face it, it's a sickness.
    Steve Balistreri

17. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

The addiction is severe; a dark passenger resides within my soul. After giving it some thought I raised my comb and locked it down, leaving all tools home. I shot all 25’s at singles (3) and a 22, 23 and 24 from the 25-yard line.
    The misses were the operator’s fault.
    My lower shoots pretty flat with the modified and 100% high with the IM with the same loads (at 35-yards)?? So I’m going to spend more time at the pattern board and find a good load-choke combination, leaving the gun adjustments alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.