1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ILL Gun Ban Vote - Postponed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Just read a hideline that said due to the overwhelming outcry, the Illinois Senate postponed the Gun Ban Vote today. The article said that the telephone and email lines were jammed.

blade819

2. blade819

Vote postponed until Tuesday the 8th. House Bill 815 states that it prohibits sale and distribution of magazines with more than a 10 shot capacity. GET THIS ..... if you have magazines already, the only way they can be Grandfathered is if you have "proof of ownership". How many of us have our receipts for our mags? The police can confiscate all magazines and charge the owner with a felony crime. Goodbye Grand American!

blade819

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey John,

Thanks for the update.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Boycotting the state of Illinois is a good start, however, boycotting the ATA for getting us all into this mess is a much better, and more logical, idea. For the past several years, since the initial proposal to move the grand to Sparta, many shooters have tried, in vain, to warn the members of the ATA that this move was the wrong thing to do. I remember when Brad Dysinger first sounded the alarm, and several of you jumped on him, saying he was just crying wolf, and nothing bad was going to happen. Well, as Bill Engel would say: "HERE'S YOUR SIGN!" You were told from the start that this was coming and you ignored all the signs, believing the ATA had your best interest in mind. So, now that the truth is about to hit you square between the eyes, what do YOU plan on doing about it?. EVERY ATA MEMBER SHOULD PEN A LETTER, OR EMAIL, TO THE ATA EC VOICING THEIR CONCERNS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE GRAND, AND SPARTA.. Just saying, you know? Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

If the Idiots want a receipt I could send you a bill of sale I dont give two s%*ts for the politicians I will contact the ata ec.and relay me concern

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

Dan I have always respected your opinion but have to disagree with you on this. Why would we want to boycott the ATA. This isn't about the Grand or personal feeling about the ATA its about our Gun Rights and Freedoms in this country. Its not just Illinois, this is spreading everywhere. We all need to stick together and fight these damn politicians and anti's who is going to take our rights away. Divided we all loose.

I Don't live in Illinois

Help the NRA, this is our only body that will fight a good fight.

7. blade819

I believe the history is that the current Govenor at the time of the move to Sparta was pro-gun and pretty much the state built the facility for free. Money talks!!!!

blade819

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

As I already said, these house bills are worse than the senate bill. The house bill regarding magazines is pretty similar and does contain an exception for Sparta. The separate AW ban has no exception for Sparta, hunting, etc. The AW ban affects Sparta because it does not contain the exemption for Sparta that was in the senate bill, but it won't have much impact on firearms used at the grand.

Do to very poor writing, these house bills will ban just about every semi auto rifle and pistol. The legislators need to be aware of just how bad these bills are.

I don't think the ATA should be your concern at the moment.

9. Bubba

Bubba Member

I don't think it is a case of poor writing. I believe it is their intent.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I just read the bill and there is only one prohibition that relates to shotguns and that refers to shotguns with a revolving magazine (a "streetsweeper.) So I don't see how this affects ownership of target shotguns or participation trap, skeet, sporting clays or the Grand in any manner.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't oppose this amendment as vigorously as we have.
    The NRA and Illinois State Rifle Association have done a great job so far in
    informing the Illinois shooters, and in turn the Illinois shooters have done their part in flooding their state reps and senators with calls opposing the bill.

Those morons who keep calling for a boycott of Illinois forget there are people who live here, shooters, and clubs - all trying to keep our sport alive.

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

No bubba, it is poorly written. You can tell they started with the basic evil guns language already in place in many states, and then individuals must have said "what about this" and kept adding things out of context. Obviously, the banning intent is there, but as a legal document, it's poorly written.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I shoot a single bbl trap adn can be accused of using a "streetsweeper" on occasion... release trigger blues

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I think we need to jam the phones and emails again on Tuesday as well

14. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

blade:
    The IL Senate did not have the votes this past Friday. SO, the anti-gun Democrats set up a vote in the IL House Judiciary Committee for today at 2 PM, Sunday, Jan 6, 2013.

As far as I can tell, that vote is still to be held and it's after 3 PM here now. The latest article on the ISRA webpage says nothing about the vote being postponed until Tuesday.

Please give your source.

Gene in Illinois

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

NEW UPDATE:

According to some Facebook posts today:

"House Committee decides not to have a hearing on SB2899 this session."

If the poster has accurate info, it means it's dead for now. It will be resurrected in the next session.

Gene in Illinois

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As I understood it the Senate has a couple more days to vote, but realistically, they don't have the votes... I called my rep, with whom I have a good personal relationship and who sits on the Judiciary committee and outlined real concerns, not hyperbole... you have to help some of these folks understand the little ins and outs...

The NRA and ISRA Lobbyist do a good job, but they're still perceived as lobbyists... we as constituents (not just in Illinois) need to step up and stop whining and become a part of the defense.

Outside of Chicago and Cook county, Illinois will be hard-pressed to wipe out existing legal firearms... Southern Illinois Democrats are extremely pro-gun...

Illinois is looking forward to becoming the 50th state with concealed carry... YOUZA...

When was the last time any of you actually bothered to extend an invitation to a local elected official to shoot some clay...

Jay

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Those anti ATA butt-wipes are just like the Democrats, Always bad mouthing a organization even if the subject isn't about them at all. lol What a bunch of losers.

18. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

spitter:

Ditto.

As a matter of fact, my new State Rep is a West Point grad who loves to shoot. And my new State Senator also enjoys shooting. I'm going to take you up on your suggestion. And, I may even suggest that each of them bring an associate who isn't quite so pro-gun. So they can see what we do for fun.

Here's a suggestion. What if every gun club in Illinois invited every State legislator to the club once or twice a year? Call it State Legislator Day.

Gene in Illinois

19. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Trap2 [Dan Thome] Thanks for remembering, a lot of Einsteins on here won't or can't remember. The nice thing about living here in Ohio is that I am 100% sure we will have two trap shoots in June, a kids shoot in July, and another Trap Shoot in August at the Cardinal Center. These will happen no matter how or if the Illinois legislature votes. So if you want to shoot for sure make your plans accordingly.

This year I will be the Tournament Director for the Cardinal Center shoots, but not the State Shoot.

Brad Dysinger

20. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

I was wondering why after my post this thread was moved from shooting related to off topic and the other thread on Illinois vote being postponed left where it was? I don't care, Dave can do what he wants, but I hope Dave isn't letting the ATA run his site. TS.Com has been good for flow of trap shooting info, not politically correct info. Wishing won't change facts, at least it never has.

I have never complained about what anyone has said about me on this site, don't care, I'm just wondering what the story is? This thread had been up for over one day then BAM down to the OFF TOPIC, who makes the call?

Brad Dysinger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.