1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'll bet no one heard this news.......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hundreds of US troops in Iraq re-enlist for national day<br>
    Fri Jul 4, 10:30 AM ET<br>
    <br>
    BAGHDAD (AFP) - More than 1,200 US troops serving in Iraq signed up for extended service in the military to mark America's national day on Friday.<br>
    <br>
    At least 1,215 troops re-enlisted for periods ranging from two to six years at the ceremony held at the spacious Al-Faw palace of executed dictator Saddam Hussein near Baghdad airport.<br>
    <br>
    General David Petraeus, the head of US-led coalition forces in Iraq, said he was "proud of their decision to re-enlist and help the people of Iraq win their most important battle ... freedom."<br>
    <br>
    The US military has regularly re-enlisted service members in Iraq but Friday's swearing-in was one of the largest, the military said.<br>
    <br>
    More than five years after the invasion that toppled Saddam, US-led forces are still battling to stabilise the violence-wracked country.<br>
    <br>
    The US military has lost 4,113 personnel since the March 2003 invasion, according to independent website www.icasualties.org.<br>
    <br>
    But it says that overall violence has now fallen to its lowest levels since the invasion.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Any bets that you won't hear about it on the evening news?

3. Juno

Juno TS Member

Thanks for this bit of news Brian.
    [​IMG]

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I reckon Mr. Obama won't be referencing this information in his campaign speeches.....

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Send it to Bill O'Reilly

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just looked at USA Today and the latest article is dated 4 hours ago with no mention of the Brian's post.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

No amount of money is worth your life weather it's tax free or not. There are other reasons like it's the right thing to do.
    Joe Just my oppinion!

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

That's pretty cynical, Steve.........

9. Brian in Oregon

Wait, are they really getting tax breaks? I saw a Democratic ad the other day saying that the Bush administration has failed to allow tax breaks for those serving in Iraq because they have not declared it a war zone.<br>
    <br>
    What's the scoop here?

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

They're getting tax breaks. My son paid no taxes on his pay and his re-up bonus while he was in Iraq.

Jim

11. Brian in Oregon

Then that makes the Democrats out to be liars with their claims that the troops in Iraq are having to pay taxes on their earnings.

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

It is on FOX13 News here in Florida right now. Jim

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

No one is going to covience me ANY troop reenlist simply so he or she can get a tax break. If you think these folks can see their friends killed and then reenlist simple to save a few bucks on therir taxes, I feel sorry for you! You evidently don't have a clue about the dedication these young people have! Either you beleive in what you are doing or you DON"T! God bless them all!

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

fox news here in Massachusetts. also did a piece on the newly sworn citizens

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Brian....do Democrats lie?

Thats like asking if wild bears poop in the woods!

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Steve, It seemed to appear that you were suggesting the "reason" they reenlisted was for a tax break, If not, then I appologize for thinking that was your intent.

17. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Re-enlistment is not a single day option. There is a window of months during which a soldier can re-enlist. It is common for soldiers to "play the options" during that window. Enlistment bonuses and options can change from day to day and week to week based on the needs of the Army. If it looks like the Army will be short of a specific MOS (Military Ocupational Specialty) they will increase bonuses and other options to entice re-enlistments during a specific window. And yes, options can even be increased for photops. There are also short term extensions that can be used to get those guys who would have been beyond the window extended to an event like this.

And while we are at it, while few Americans know about events like this, you can bet that this is NOT a morale boost to Al Queda and our enemies. There are now 1200 trained and experienced soldiers ready to put the smack down on the bad guys.

18. larryjk

larryjk Member

Over 4,000 troops have been killed since the war began. We were treated to a daily head count from ABC news. During the same period, we were never told that over 4,000 people are killed each year on California highways and streets. We are never told the names of those killed on a daily basis on the highways, but we were given each soldiers name on the news. That part was okay in my book. I was honored to know the names of the brave men and women who gave their lives in combat. That had more meaning than getting killed on the way to McDonalds for hamburgers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.