1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IL resident trading gun in MO?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by buckwheat, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

I'm pretty sure you will have to have your new gun shipped to an FFL near you. With of our FOID system, I'd opt for having the out of state dealer shipping it to an Illinois FFL. That way you'll have a paper trail and be in compliance in case there was ever a question by the authorities.
    Dan King

2. Harb

Harb TS Member

I could be wrong, but my dealer (here in Missouri) has told me that he can sell long guns to out of state customers (including Illinois) and he does not have to make the customers wait. He only needs to have them fill out the federal background check forms, call them in, and verify that they do indeed have a FOID card. He then can send the gun with them on their trip back across the river.

He even has the page marked in the FFL rules where it says that Illinois (or any other state) cannot impose its rules on out of state dealers. He has been an FFL for at least 20 to 30 years and is usually one that makes sure all of his info is up to date. I think Illinois used to not allow its residents to buy from any state directly adjacent to it - since then, I think the Feds stepped in and ruled that they cannot do this.

Please keep in mind this is just my 2 cents and I am only going off what I have been told.

Harb

3. antique

antique TS Member

Just think they moved the Grand there'antique

4. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

This what I experienced PERSONALLY, I live in Illinois and took a gun that I had purchased here to Indiana GC dba as Frontier arms for a trade-in on another shotgun that they had for sale. I cannot say enough about the service I got from them. I got to shoot the shotgun and several like it of the same model that I was thinking of purchasing from them as much as I wanted after they set it up to fit me. Then they took my shotgun in on trade for one I was purchasing, did the Instant background check, and then I left with the new gun.

Pretty painless even for a resident of Illinois to do. I have purchased several shotguns in Wisconsin, and traded one it at Gander Mt but they made me wait 24 hrs to pick it up. I did not have to go from dealer in Illinois to a dealer in the state that I purchased the new shotgun in. Hope that helps out with your transaction. Rick Gibbs

5. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

The MO gun dealer does not have a problem. The buyer is responsable for the law. If he knowingly vilots a state law than there will be a problem for him, but I do not know how the dealer could have a problem.

Take care,

Jim

6. Harb

Harb TS Member

MrkSLC - I do not think there is a need for shipping the gun if someone doing a face to face trade/purchase with the dealer at his shop out of Illinois. He would need to have the gun shipped to an FFL if not doing it face to face.

Rick's experience pretty well sums up what my dealer has always told me. I had asked him previously since my Dad lives in Illinois and was considering doing some business with him and wanted to know what red tape he would need to go through. The funny thing is - you can go outside of Illinois and purchase your long guns much easier and faster than purchasing the same items in state due to the 24 hour waiting period that Illinois has.

Harb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.