1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IL new gun legislation

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by KENENT1, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

House committee approves gun legislations
    Posted: May 04, 2010 7:35 AM CDT
    File Photo File Photo

By Ashley Badgley - Illinois Statehouse News

SPRINGFIELD – A House committee on Monday pushed through three pieces of gun legislation, sending them to the full House for consideration.

State Rep. Harry Osterman, D-Chicago, sponsored two of the bills that passed. His first bill – approved on a 7-to-5 vote — amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act by prohibiting individuals who lack the proper license to sell or transfer their firearms to another person. The transaction could only be performed through a licensed dealer.

Osterman said the measure would prevent people with criminal records from owning firearms. However, National Rifle Association lobbyist Todd Vandermyde said the bill would just create more work for lawful gun owners.

"It's more red tape, more hoops for gun owners to jump through," Vandermyde said. "If we have to go through all this, then why do we even have a FOID card that says I don't have a criminal conviction on my record?"

However, Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Thomas Mahoney told committee members that Osterman's legislation will help Illinois residents who legally purchase their firearms.

"I think if this were passed into law and the state police were to develop the system over the next two years, what it would do would facilitate the lawful transfer of firearms through a federal firearm licensee and it would make it easier for lawful firearms owners to make such a transfer," Mahoney said.

Osterman's second bill passed on a 6-to-4 vote, and would require gun owners to have a proper, portable gun carrying case in which to transport their gun.

Osterman said this legislation is "commonsense" for gun owners.

"Strip away the politics to this, these are commonsense approaches that if you ask someone who calls your district office about this, I think it's very difficult for them to say this is taking away gun owner's rights," Osterman said.

Chicago Police Sgt. John Hamilton testified that such a simple requirement could mean the difference between life and death. He said he has witnessed the shooting of several fellow officers because someone did not have their gun in a proper container when transporting it.

"For us, it's a matter of life and death," Hamilton said. "It's not a matter of what side of the aisle you're on, what side you're arguing. That doesn't mean anything in the streets. For us, it's a matter of life and death. I've had friends killed in the line of duty."

State Rep. Ed Sullivan, R-Mundelein, voted against the bill, saying it would cause confusion because the bill would change Illinois Supreme Court guidelines regarding a proper gun case.

He said judges all over the state would each make different rulings.

"We have a ruling from the Supreme Court in regards to this and now we want to change it so we're going to be right back where we started from trying to find what is designed for the safe transportation of firearms because it's too vague," Sullivan said.

State Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago sponsored the third gun measure passed by the House committee, on a 6-to-4 vote. The bill would prohibit Illinois gun manufacturers from selling firearms to Illinois residents. The manufacturers could sell their firearms to other states, as well as to Illinois police officers, Acevedo said.

A strong gun opponent, Acevedo said his measure would decrease the number of Illinois residents purchasing firearms.

State Rep. Dan Brady, R-Bloomington, said the bill could hurt Illinois businesses and jobs because they are losing their customers and must rely on other states for business.

I have already wrote my rep.

tony

2. rd

rd TS Member

Yeah- Sgt. Hamilton- it's because the criminals already had the guns in their pockets or hands. They wouldn't have had a "legal guncase" anyway! What a crock- police officers killed because the guns weren't properly cased! Why don't people call them on this crap?

3. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

And I thought the shit we come up with here in CA is weird.

Any time anyone says the word "Commonsense" with reference to a gun law immediately ask "Who's commonsense are we talking about?"

The left is genuinely devoid of common sense, and that is an ESTABLISHED FACT! No room for speculation there. That's why they try to use the term to put you on the defensive, they have no leg to stand on.

It's the lie being told over and over until it becomes the truth.

Do allow them to get away with it. Call em on it everytime.

Randy

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Yup Illinois, home of the Grand.....so Sad that at the time the ATA had to make a deal with the Devil....

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wow, all those evil guns, out of their gun cases, levitating through the air, and shooting police officers all by themselves.

6. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Anybody have a way to contact Sgt. John Hamilton? Seems if he's "witnessed the shooting of several fellow officers because someone did not have their gun in a proper container," he could probably remember at least some of their names and I would think such shootings could then be verified. I've never heard of that happening in Oregon, but maybe I just don't get out enough.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The police officers in question shot themselves cleaning their "empty" guns... (LOL)... cases had nothing to do with it!

jay

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

NO CORNDOGS FOR YOU, FRANK C !

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Can anyone in Illinois explain what this part means?

"The bill would prohibit Illinois gun manufacturers from selling firearms to Illinois residents. The manufacturers could sell their firearms to other states, as well as to Illinois police officers, Acevedo said."

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It means Illinois residents can go screw themselves...

regards,

Jay

screwee

11. cpd544

cpd544 Member

The Communist Republic of Illinois strikes again.

12. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Just had this discussion at the gun club yesterday, but tell me why we have the Grand in this Gun unfriendly state?

I for one will not be adding to the state revenue by shooting there!

Mr. Mark

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I feel so much safer, don't you?

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

one more example of Illinois law makers with their heads up their a$$e$

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If only we could get a president from there. He could do for the entire nation what Illinois politicians have done for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.