1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

IL FOID... I am now breaking the law?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman TS Member

My FOID Card is now officially expired, January 1 2010 and I am still waiting to receive my new card (Going on 3 weeks now) and I want to go hunting tomorrow but am afraid to drive with any firearms in my car knowing my FOID is no longer valid!! Welcome to IL right? The strictest gun laws with the highest gun violence in the country! I wonder if gang-bangers have valid FOID Cards!!!! It is unreal how bureaucratic hold ups have now made a law abiding citizen a criminal and now it's literally illegal for me to possess firearms therefore exercise my 2nd Amendment rights!!!!!

I looked to see if there was a grace period for valid card holders that have applied for new cards that are still waiting but there doesn't seem to be.....BTW...On the Illinois State Police Web-site they are supposed to send you a reminder and a new application 60 days in advance from your expiration and of course that never happened! Shame on me for expecting that to happen!
    In addition a FOID was originally good for 10 years now we have to renew them at least every 5 I think! I'm ready to move out of this god-for-saken state!!!!
  2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

Always were for 5 years........ your receipt should get you thru, as long as it was a renewal
  3. chrisg

chrisg Member

FOID cards are good for 10 years still, they used to be 5. As long as you have your old FOID card and proof of completed application for the renewal you are safe.
  4. prairieviper

prairieviper Member

I wouldn't necessarily take it for granted that you won't be in violation just because you have an expired F.O.I.D. card in your possesion and have submitted an application for a new one. After all, your application has to be processed and you may be approved or denied. An officer checking you in the field has no way to evaluate that, all he or she knows is whether you have a valid F.O.I.D. card in your possesion.

Rather than trust internet advice, a simple phone call your local Illinois State Police post would serve you better and might save a lot of problems.
  5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Please Massah Gubermint may Ah have mah rights please?

The Supreme Court ruled criminals don't need to register for firearms ownership or register their guns because it would be an admission of owning a firearm, which would violate their Fifth Amendment rights.

So why do honest citizens have to do something that violates the rights of criminals?
  6. Luckyman

Luckyman TS Member

I tried to call the ISP and could never get through....Also, there is no way to get a receipt since you have to send a personal check and hard copy application...What do I do in this case? I do know they cashed my $10.00 check according to my statement on 12-16. Unfortunately, the bank statement does not list who the check was made out to....I only know this because it was the only $10.00 check I wrote in December....

Any other suggestions?
  7. prairieviper

prairieviper Member

Call your LOCAL (District) state police headquarters. It's listed in your telephone book.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

You should be able to get a copy of that check or even the check itself from the bank. This still won't prove you submitted the application but it you can prove a fee was paid to that agency.

Good luck.
  9. Luckyman

Luckyman TS Member

I just read the bi-laws listed on the web and I figured out how to get around it!

I have to invite someone along to go hunting with me and pretend that my guns are actually his that has a valid FOID....If I were from out of state I do not need a FOID at all! How much sense does this make? A non-resident is alowed to transfer a firearm without a FOID card but a resident with an expired FOID that is waiting for his new one is a criminal!

What the F!!!
  10. Luckyman

Luckyman TS Member

Wolfram....In IL A cleared check does not necessarily show that you have been approved for a new FOID since all checks are cashed and are non-refundable even if you are denied renewel of your FOID!!!!

Welcome to IL!
  11. prairieviper

prairieviper Member

If you care about doing the right thing, both to make sure you are following the law and to save yourself possible problems, phoning your local state police headquarters will give you your best answer. Internet advice interpreting the law or tricks to attempt "getting around the law" are not in your best interest and will not serve to help you with your problem in a good way.

You are an adult (I assume) and have plenty of suggestions on this topic by which to make a decision. Do what you think is right. Good luck!
  12. wbill

wbill Member

Make you vote count next election for people that will change the dumb laws.
  13. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I would contact your state representative's office and make them aware of the problem. According to statute in Illinois, the state police have 30 days to process your application. I have talked to Tom Cross's office about the state dragging their feet on these FOID applications, and they are aware of the problem. Do you need help in determining who your state rep is? Do not hesitate in letting them know that you have a problem, as many times they can cut through the red tape.
  14. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

If you do not have a valid FOID card in your possession you are in violation of the law. The key word is possession. You can have a certified mail receipt that the renewal is in Springfield, and the card can be in your mailbox, and you are in violation of the law. The old card is expired and you cannot prove your compliance without the new card.

Don't expect to see your new card anytime soon. Remember that law that was passed that the State Police must process all applications in 30 days or less? If they don't get to yours in the allotted time the application is denied. You will get a nice letter explaining how your application is being re-submitted and the 30 day clock starts ticking all over again. Happened to me twice. I hope you cut your picture you have to send in (that they do not use) to the correct dimentions or you will get your application back with a crappy little note in red pen that tells you to cut it to the dimentions outlined in the box. Happened to my wife. I cut about 1/128th of an inch off one side, sent it back in so they could use the picture off her drivers license.

Don't waste your time going to Springfield to "talk to someone in person". The place is locked up tighter than Stateville and if you linger at the door and look inside, a uniformed State Police Sargent will appear from nowhere and tell you to "move along". Don't try to explain your intentions. The only appropriate response is Yes Sir.

I wouldn't do anything until I had the card. God help you if you would get caught and have it revoked. You don't know how precious that little plastic piece of crap is until you don't have it anymore.
  15. Luckyman

Luckyman TS Member

Who is breaking the law here me or the State of IL in denying me my rights because of their bureaucratic BS and how long it takes to grant me my right to bear arms!!! I know that have in their up to date police records that I have no police record what so ever outside of petty traffic violations..... I have never committed any crime for felony for that matter and know for sure I have not violated any of the provisions they outline determining my denial of renewal of my FOID....As mentioned before, I have not committed a felony ever let alone since my last FIOD renewal, I do not have a history of domestic violence, have not become addicted to narcotics, a fugitive of the law and am not mentally retarded....At least that I know of and my wife may argue that one! The gun laws in IL are downright unconstitutional for law abiding citizens!!!!As Ted Nugent once put it in an interview is saw " The 2nd Amendment is my right to carry" . All because I do not have my piece of plastic they drag their feet on approving or denying I am now a criminal if I exercise my right to bear arms!! Especially for hunting purposes in this case!!!
  16. Luckyman

Luckyman TS Member

You can't even transport a pellet gun that shoots over 700 fps in IL without a FOID! Oh yeah unless you are from out of state! I must be mentally retarded for living in this state!!!!

WOW!
  17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I just got my renewal form in the mail.

tony
  18. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If the state has "cashed" your check and have not supplied you with your purchase, They (state) have commited fraud! Where is your Attorney General?

Better yet, what part on "infringed" does your state not understand?

We are getting to the point in history where we will have to pull a Thomas Jefferson! Only those on here who KNOW our founding fathers will understand what I just said!
  19. Luckyman

Luckyman TS Member

I agree Timberfaller.....You would think it was fraud if they don't give you your card within two weeks of cashing your check and it's even more interesting how they can cash your check no matter what even if you are denied! They probably justify that as a processing fee in order to even validate if you can get a FOID or not...

" Those who smash their guns against their plows will plow for those who don't "!
  20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Active Member

If memory serves, you need a FOI card to buy ammunition and or guns. You don't need one to transport one. You don't need to show one to buy a hunting license, I don't believe that you would be breaking any law by having a gun broken down and in the trunk of your car. Besides most of the police don't bother people about guns unless your engaged in some odd behavior or breaking other laws. I would make usre the shot gun could hold no more than three shells and that you license is current and you will be fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.