1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IIlinois traffic stop no guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nameisjoe, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Attached video of an Illinois traffic stop. Officer says he is looking for guns and drugs...

The beat goes on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/31/drug-search-trekies-stopped-searched-illinois_n_1364087.html

Must have been looking for Captain Kirks Phaser LOL

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Try this...

3. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Thanks Sissy,

I think they were looking for plasma rifles.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not much different than Michigan plates in Ohio....

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I don't know who would let a cop voluntarily search their vehicle. Nothing good is ever going to come of it.

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

New York plates in NC get the same kind of welcome. Been there!

ctreay

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

NY plates in NY get it too.

8. Kerz

Kerz Member

Agreed. I can confirm, no reason to let a police office search your vehicle. I was one, now retired. Just say no.
    Vic

9. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

IIlinois traffic stop guns and drugs?

You can't say "no" when the cop has probably cause and the dog was used to give him probably cause. Truth is that any bad cop could easily plant drugs when he searches the car. He and his department have a high, monetary incentive to do so. Very scary.

10. BigM-Perazzi

Traders, when asked to leave the vehicle, you close the windows and lock the car behind you....

"No." is a valuable word not used often enough.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And then the cops simply pull the ol' "the K9 alerted leading me to suspect drugs in the vehicle, which gave me probable cause to search".

But "no" is still a word not used often enough.

12. BigM-Perazzi

And if you got the balls, make them impound and tow the car. The more people get involved the better for your outcome..

13. oz

oz Active Member

wonder what they would find if they stopped obama's car. Oh that's right he would have the secret service take care of it.

14. rocko

rocko Member

They used to put a sign on the hwy that a drug check was a mile ahead and if you got off the hwy at Black Lane you had a problem. The town is corrupt, decaying and bankrupt as is the entire state of Il.

15. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

They have used this drug check point tactic west of Des Moines on I80 also. About a year ago I was on my way home from Omaha, saw the signs for the drug check point. I proceeded to take the exit I needed. I was stopped by a county sheriff's deputy for rolling through the stop sign at the top of the off ramp. I might have, but I don't really know.

There was a second deputy waiting with a dog about a 1/2 mile from where I was pulled over. After seeing my address and knowing that it would make sense for me to take this particular exit he let me go with a verbal warning.

As I thought about this after resuming my trip, I realized what this was all about. The county road that I exited to runs parallel to I80 and there are several exits to get back on after the supposed drug check point.

Glad I didn't have to go through the crap this guy did.

16. Traders

BigM-Perazzi,

I don't think it's a matter of "balls". It seems likely that if I refuse the search even if the cop says he has "probable cause", he will have the car towed. My guess is that even if he doesn't claim probable cause and I say no to a search, the cop will find some other reason to ticket and tow me. On the assumption that I don't have anything in the car, my monetary cost of this stop will go up dramatically. At the least, I am assuming I will end up paying for the towing, the broken tail light that wasn't there before, etc.

Seems to me that there really is no easy right answer. Particularly if you have fully legal guns in the car.

17. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Probable cause is subject to interpretation. The amount of cause needed, recent case law, the circumstances, etc..etc. I don’t think a drug dog hit is enough probable cause alone. Officers can be quite creative in obtaining “consent” Why? Say you say no. Then they have to secure the scene, ask for another officer. Go get a search warrant (1 hour of paper work, and go wake up and piss off a judge) If you say no the officer (in most cases) must go get a search warrant unless there is a reason the evidence may go away, and can’t be secured while he gets the search warrant. Other areas of confusion are (open view) if an officer walks past your house and sees pot in the window he can walk in to prevent it’s destruction, secure the area..but he may not extend the search..however he can check the home for his safety (all areas large enough for a human) Checking a car for hidden people or safety and sees evidence. Doing an inventory before a tow..... and the list continues..all subject to case law and curcumstances.

Judges, the DA’s office, and law enforcement administration do look for officers that push probable cause. They and your local government don’t want the expense of the lost court cases and the public scrutiny. Yes there are officers that really push it, and bad administrations that don’t pay attention to what is going on. And police unions that need to quit protecting bad cops.. Normally officers will not get a warrant. They may tell you that they have to tow your car, we will be here all night, it’s better on you if you go with the program..all crap!. if you want to piss off other officers spend all your time getting search warrants while they handle all your calls.

Probable cause and when you need it is very complex and changes often.. That's why people get bent out of shape about the lack of a warrant in most cases people (sometimes including the officers) don't understand the law.

18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Good post pointer.

19. BigM-Perazzi

Pointer, thanks for that.

20. Traders

pointer---That was a terrific explanation. I have never been in a situation where a cop asked to search my car. I have always thought that I would not consent and you have just given me some really good reasons to continue that policy.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.