1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If your avg is low should you attend the GRAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 21, 2013.

1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Considering your shooting averages and all the hot shot shooters out there at what point should you not consider spending the time and money at the Grand?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Oh, this ought to be a goody....

Curt

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just bought some Jiffy Pop.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's also been referred to as a Sandbagger's convention, so averages really don't mean that much.

5. smsnyder

Honest averages

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Since when are Sandbaggers honest??

7. smsnyder

TIME FOR A BEER?

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Good question sms, but attending the Grand should have nothing to do w/averages as few out of thousands are winners, regardless of averages or sandbagging. I've gone the last 5 years and couldn't shoot because of NO eyesight in right eye. But I went anyway. Why???? Because...well...it's the Grand!

uncle miltie

9. smsnyder

Face it with the expense of shooting today it will cost more than a grand to attend and shoot there. Common sense for the average shooter would fall here.

10. alf174

alf174 Member

i don't attend the Grand because of distance - otherwise who cares about your average, shoot.

11. zzoom

zzoom Member

If you were a golfer and could play in the Masters, would you? If you could play baseball well and had chance to play in world series would you? If you had opportunity to drive in Indy 500 would you? Pack up your stuff and go shoot. See you there.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

By all means go shoot every target that they throw. I was never a good shooter but I could never pass up shooting against some of the best in the world.

Every dog has his or her day, and you never know when your day will come? I have seen many shooters with low averages shoot at the Grand and they ended up shooting the best score of their life.

Usually a person will shoot better with top competition and rise to the occasion. Zzoom is correct, what other sport allows the average man or woman to compete in a major event like this?

Even if you do not win anything, just shooting at this level of competition should make you a better seasoned shooter.

When you get back home and start shooting at area club shoots again, I would think your shooting at the Grand can only help you in the long run.

If you are afraid of the level of competition at the Grand, you may want to reexamine if this sport is for you? I believe, once you think about the pro's and cons of shooting at the grand, you will make the right decision of what is best for you.

With the level of competition that will be there, with the friendships that you may possibly make, along with all there is to see, plain and simple, the Grand is a Disneyland for gun enthusiast. If you go, chances are you won't regret it, win or lose.

Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

13. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Sure

A great place to shoot,shop look & drool

14. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Every trapshooter should go to the Grand at least once...It's quite a show...

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

It is simply a "happening" (old 1960's expression) for most trapshooters...just a gathering of enthused people around the trapshooting hobby. Bring a fairly big bag of money. Enter a few events and, if you feel lucky, play the Lewis. Fun in the sun. Regards, Ed

16. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

I think you should consider it a convention of like minded people.

17. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Since when does shooting have to be about averages. For the longest time I was unable to shoot due to, well its one of the most expensive hobbies I've ever done. I am lucky to carry above par averages. But, with that said its is fun and if I could afford it I would shoot every shoot in the country regardless where it was. More targets equals higher average.

Brady

18. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Earl...trolling again? Since when did a grand bother you! You haven't spent the entire fortune on trading guns have you? If you need a few bucks to get you there, let me know. I would like to see you!!

Don

19. notarget

notarget TS Member

I have been a few times and never expected to win anything. I enjoyed telling the folks back home that I had been beaten by the best.

20. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

Earl,
    Haven't seen you since I met you @ the Dixie Grand in FL. Hope the old back is ok. Would like to see you & the rest of your PA squad @ the grand. BTW how is Jim M. doing?

Gene