1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If you think Chicago teachers are bad...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by timberfaller, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

This gal has a serious problem, educated past her intelligence!!

As the Chicago teachers need to be fired so does she in Oregon.

just in case the url is to long.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/principal-sees-racism-in-peanut-butter.html

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Damn just damn

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

No I do NOT think the Chi town teachers are bad. Get a four year degree, go teach and have one of the lowest paid jobs available for a four year degree. Not to mention least appreciated. For ALL of you complaining on "how much" teachers make and how bad the system is....WAIT I can guarantee you it will only get worse!!!! Hey maybe Joe the plumber or Joe the welder can teach your kids!!!

GS

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

How much does a plumber make an hour vs a high school grad working at McDonalds???

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Typical Lib, they know it's a low paying job when they take it then bitch about it being low pay

But in all reality it is a real high paying job per hour, where else do you get paid for working half time

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

According to one report, the average Chicago public school teacher makes $74k/year. The same report stated 39% of those Chicago teachers send their own kids to PRIVATE schools.

I would respectfully submit the second statistic speaks volumes about what teachers with kids of their own think about the job performance of their fellow educators.

As an aside, the seven retirement systems administered by the State of Illinois are completely insolvent. They currently have something like $84 billion in unfunded liabilities. That's the highest of any state in the nation. The teachers' system is by far, the largest duck in the puddle.

sissy

edited to clean up grammar

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

maybe that was where midalake learned.......

8. midalake

DON'T make excuses, or quote some dribble. GO GET YOURSELF SOME!!!! Go get a 4 year degree live in an expensive city and have a job that pay as about as low as possible for a 4 year degree!!!! Also well respected [lol] AS Ricky stated don't be a follower lead....come on get yourself some.......

GS

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

midalake:

Both of my siblings and a sister-in-law are retired public teachers. One retired from Curie High School on the southwest side of Chicago. Two members of my family's NEXT generation are also teachers. FWIW, NONE of them stopped with a single degree. Two have a masters. Two have PhD's. The fifth has a PhD and is in the second year of his residency as a doctor.

When I started college, teachers were a dime a dozen. Someone could be the best new teacher that ever was and starve to death on the starting salary. Instead of joining my sibs and me getting myself some of that misery, I gravitated to the business world.

You OTOH are an uninformed nitwit. Get over yourself. Better yet, go learn something and make an informed contribution on some subject - any subject.

sissy

10. midalake

Well there "sis" I sure would like to be at the family gathering for christmas. I bet there is some great conversation there!!! [with your attitude] But I'll bet my invite will be lost in the mail!

Is this not your quote?? "According to one report, the average Chicago public school teacher makes $74k/year. The same report stated 39% of those Chicago teachers send their own kids to PRIVATE schools."

SOOO you what? Think they are over paid? Should not make enough money to send their kids to a school of choice? Are smarter than you?? Come on do not hold back...let it out... Maybe because they are "lowely teachers" not as good as you??? Tell GS what you think???

GS

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Why be a teacher? There are much better professions.

Stockton, Ca in 2010:

"At the September 21 hearing, the firefighters argued that “as a budgetary matter firefighters come first.” The current average cost of a firefighter, including salary and benefits, is $188,000 per year. The Fire Union has stated that they will not make concessions without a contract extension and will not discuss any staffing alternatives. The Fire Union demands include: return of concessions made two years ago, the hiring of additional firefighters, salary increases of more than 12 percent, additional Haz/Mat premiums, sell back of vacation time and other changes, which would result in the average cost of a firefighter being over $203,000 per year and cost the City an additional $8 million annually."

Of course, now Stockton is bankrupt.

HM

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

midalake. So, it seems b your last comment you woul be FOR VOUCHERS?

And too, calm down and sell ratehtr than be angry.

13. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

The really sad and bad part of this is not what teachers or doctors or welders or plumbers or businessmen make. It is the class warfare "Divide and Conquer" that you are all allowing yourself to fall into.

If you, as a politician, are the root cause of the problem, you sure do not want to be called on the carpet by the voters so you will find some group, and it does not matter which group it is, that you can demonize and make people believe that "THEY" are the cause of your problems. By distracting you and sending your attention (and hatred) toward some other target, you, as a politician, can continue to be reelected and continue to do your damage and thus allow the class warfare to continue till the next election. There was a rather infamous politician in Germany in the 1930's that did take this exact route to ride into power which he soon made to be unlimited power. His targeted group happened to be the Jews and Roma (Gypsies) but today's politicians custom tailor their "responsible" groups to best serve their election needs.

Before you think any one or two groups are the cause of your problems, look at who is telling you that "THAT GROUP' is the cause of all your problems and then ask yourself why he/she is telling you that story.

14. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Don't know about Chicago but I would go back to work out of retirement if necessary to keep either of my grandaughters from having to go to public schools in this city (Columbus, OH) fortunately one son can afford private Catholic school and we managed to get my other son's daughter into first grade in an execellent charter school. Teachers in both schools are "at will" employees and if they don't perform, they're gone. Pay for performance for all teachers should be the norm.

15. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Midalake,

Get over yourself! The article that I read stated that the average Chicago teacher makes $76K before benefits. That makes that group the highest paid in the nation. Since the normal work week is 40 hours --which the teachers don't put in the classroom, but I will use that for the figures. While only in the classroom for 9 months. See where I am going with this? You keep bragging about going and getting a 4 year degree. I have one -Manufacturing Engineering, or if you would prefer BSMfgE. I also hold a Masters degree in Computer aided Engineering. I would venture a guess that I am better qualified to teach math than most High School Math Teachers. Now back to my original point.

A normal working year in industry or anything EXCEPT teaching is 2080 hours. Teachers are in school 9 months or .75% of a normal work year. So if we take $75K (I'll use that figure because it is the average of the two stated articles.) and multiply by the reciprocal of 75% or 1.33333... you will see that the average teacher is making $100K before benefits.

There is a much easier way to come to that $100K figure, however you are the one bragging about all the education you have so you can go figure out how to arrive at the answer for yourself.

For the product that the CTU is promoting out onto the street, The average teacher is well OVERPAID, and that is the gist of the whole argument in Chicago. Management wants accountability. Obviously the union can't figure out that definition.

Chuck

16. midalake

Dear Chuck

Dump your current job and become a teacher then.....

Who talks as people being a "product" anyway. Talk about f-up.

No one has a spine any more. Here another one for ya...apples do not fall far from the tree. Having a child that excels starts at HOME!!!!

GS

17. midalake

Pyrdek...congrats, spot on. But of course every Republican will deny it to the bitter end!!!

GS

PS If they could outsource teachers, police, and firefighters they would do it.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The teachers turned down a nice raise, and stuck to preserve the power of public sector unions.

What a bunch of sheep.

HM

19. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

The old saying is those that can do and those that can't teach.

20. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Midalake,

I do teach --at the college level. And I do have to face performance reviews. Every teacher should have to go through performance reviews. Obviously the CTU doesn't think so. Hence a few "BAD APPLES" will bring down the good teachers to their level of incompetence. All because they are more concerned about themselves-than educating the kids.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.