1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If you sell a gun here, how to handle the payment?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JeffreyHJanian, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffreyHJanian

JeffreyHJanian TS Member

I'm going to put up for sale a few guns (Citori Trap, BT-99, & Teknys Trap). None of them fit me well.

How should I accept payment to be safe for myself but not be a huge burden for the buyer? (wire, postal money order, certified check, personal check ?)

It seems a 3 day no fire inspection is a common thing to do and will be more likely to sell a gun. Here in California the buyer has a 10 day wait after reaching the FFL, so there's no chance they will fire the gun, but in other states I think there's no waiting. Who's to say the buyer won't fire it off and send it back... What do you think? Any advice?

Thanks much,

-Jeff

2. James.c

James.c Member

most the guys on here are good guys and wont fire it if they say they wont. i'd say send a check but i've only done a couple transactions on here.

James.C

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I, as well as others, have not had any problem on here. I always speak to the seller or buyer before the completion of a sale. Postal order works for me both ways, but so would a cashier's check from a major bank in your area, i.e. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc.

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I will accept any form of payment. I prefer a cashier's check. I won't ship a gun until the check clears.

I don't offer any kind of inspection period. If the gun was misrepresented, I'll give the money back. If you shoot it, it's yours.

Always talk to the buyer/seller on the phone. This will solve most problems right off.

When shipping a package with insurance, make the recipient the beneficiary. This way once the product ships, it's out of the seller's hands. If it is damaged in shipping, the receiving party files the claim and gets the money. The shipper is not in the process.

Respond quickly to emails or phone messages. A seller that takes days to respond leaves me looking elsewhere.

5. twostraight

twostraight Member

So, whats the problem if they fire it?

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think everyone on here is honest & I prefer to keep it that way. If you buy from me, I ship immediately and wait for payment. Am I crazy? No, just trust people and it works for me. I do however only sell to people who post on here regularly

7. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

2straight --- problem for me isn't if he takes it out and shoots 25 targets, the problems are --- and they have all happened at least once to me.

1)Shot it for a full week-end shoot (400 targets) and let his friends shoot a couple of practice rounds with it. Gun was filty, there was a dent in the rib, scratches in the wood from what I assume were belt buckles etc. No refund and if he wanted the gun back he had to send $$$ for packing and shipping.

2) Perazzi sent back with a different set of trigger's and non-matching butt-stock claimed he switched the wood because my custom stock was cracked on arrival and that he was doing me a favor. No refund and if he wanted the gun back he had to send $$$ to cover packing and shipping.

3) Other things not from the same buyer's all the time (a) sanded the comb to see if he could make it fit better, (b) took an inch off the LOP to make it fit better (and changed the pitch so much to get it right would have taken off another inch or so), swapped trigger's (Perazzi seller's watch out for this). had one sent back loose in a single cardboard box (muzzle sticking out one corner) and claimed I never sent it in the factory case.

The people above all called to say they wanted to send gun back and suprisingly enough many of them told me what they had done to the gun - "to get it to fit so they could shoot it better" and when I told them they couldn't return it they sent them back anyway and threatened to turn me into the ATF if I didn't return their money.

The joke was on them as they broke the law shipping it directly back to me (once they did the paperwork at the dealer's the gun belonged to them) and they were suprised when I said "not to bother I'd be calling them myself if I didn't get $$ to pack and ship asap.

Buying and selling the occasional gun can be fun but there are some real knuckle heads out there.

You'd suprised at what some will do -- been lucky lately but I've learned the lesson.

That's why I tell them "no shoot and make up your mind before you do the paperwork"

8. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I've sold 2 guns, one here and one on gunbroker. I gave them a moneyback guaratee that it was as advertised, and asked for a postal money order. Everything went well. Hope your sale goes smoothly.

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I have had many tranactions on this site and everyone has gone great except one and it was a small problem that got worked motordoc

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I won't allow a buyer to fire a gun and decide if they want it or not, unless I offer a local buyer to accompany me out on the range to shoot a few shells at some targets. A few shells means just that, a few shells, not a couple of rounds of trap, skeet or sporting clays.

There are too many knuckleheads out there doing too many stupid things: shooting hot reloads, putting more handling marks on the gun, messing with the gun to get it to fit them and then messing up the gun afterwards, having buyer's remorse and trying to get their money back, etc. It's a used gun so if a buyer wants a 100% guarantee problem free gun or a gun that will 100% fit them, buy the gun new and pay the extra $$$.

11. twostraight

twostraight Member

Shit happens I guess, and it evidently has happened to you. When I sell a gun, I tell them take it out and rattle a box through it. Never been an issue for me. I tell them if they got buyers remorse, send it back, what the hell do I care, they are paying the freight. Someone could sand the stock, scratch the wood, change the stock, change the trigger, use it for a crutch or a jack handle and not fire it. I wouldn't want to sell a gun that I was afraid wouldn't stand up to a hot box of reloads. But, thats just me.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have made probably around 50 purchases in the last two years, some guns, barrels, shells, reloaders etc. I always ask what form of payment they prefer and I recommend a postal money order. For the guns I've sold on here I received postal money order. For smaller items I said personal check was ok and most of the time for items less than $200.00 I shipped the items before receiving payment. I have had very little problem with sales or purchases and most of the time items are in better condition than advertised. If a gun has been modified any I will not take it back and make that known from the git go. Jackie B.

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

no fire no buy! I bought a parker dhe with a single trigger with a doubling problem. If I can't fire them with factory ammo I am not buying. Cost 150.00 to get the triggfer problem solved. What do you have to hide? Bill

14. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I prefer a USPS money order. I pay with them when purchasing and I ask that they send payment in that form when I am the seller.

I have sent a personal check for items I have purchased on the site after talking with the seller to make sure it will be OK with them.

If selling a gun or a high dollar item I see no problem waiting for the payment to clear before shipping the item.

Most people here are honest but it only takes one to ruin it.

Kenny U.

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Those are some amazing stories. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the advice.

16. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Bill --- I'm assuming an honest seller who would certainly know if a gun was doubling and never sell it in that condition without disclosing the problem to the buyer.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have wired money (my choice) and have asked that some others wire money also, have taken checks but the gun don't go anyplace until the money is in the account except on a rare occasion ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I have bought and sold on here and on GunBroker...I ask for certified funds and pay with certiified funds....lately have used Postal Money Orders due to advise on this forum...I have never had a bad deal here....I always send my payment Prioity Mail, as soon as the deal is made...larryB

19. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I have sold maybe 6 shotguns on this site. I package and ship as soon as the buyer says it's a go. Buyer usually receives gun about the same time I receive funds. The agreement I have had with all buyers is that if the gun is not as advertised, he can return it and I will pay shipping both ways. If it is as advertised but he doesn't like it for any other reason, he may return it but he will have to pay shipping both ways. Keeps everybody honest. I usually do not talk to the buyer on the phone. Most all communication is through email. That way everybody has a record of what was agreed to.

Never failed to receive full payment. Never had a check bounce. Always had buyers that appreciate the quick shipping. I feel good about being trusting of folks and have had no disappointments.

I know others here have had a few bad experiences, but I haven't. I find most shooters to be as honest as you will find anywhere. Your mileage may vary.

Bob

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Some people around here don't trust a US Postal money order but they are about the safest and least trouble of any payment. Never use PayPal unless you want to risk your account being frozen for violating their anti gun rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.