Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

If you reload RIO hulls could you share your ....

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Pull & Mark 
#1 ·
Don't know much about reloads for the Rio hull but I do know from experience that you must use a Rio primer because the primer hole is too large to hold a standard 209 size primer.

#2 ·
Dillon may have a problem droping oversize primers like Rio. i had some problems with irregular size WW 209's. Some of the lips at the bottom of the primers were oversize. Whiched cocked the primer at the top the tube or would not let the primer drop into the tube. I went to Cheddites then the Fio 616's and have never had another problem. They seem to be a lot more constant in size.

#4 ·
Me thinks you will be hearing from the Shooting Coach. He reloads alot of these type of hulls. You will need to get the load data for a Cheddite hull. Rio, or Noble Sport primers and wads that will work for a Cheddite hull. Alot of trouble for a steel based hull to load only once. Don't you think??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

#5 ·
It is I! LOL

I get barrels of these hulls in my area. They actually load very well on my Mec 9000.

What type of powder are you wanting to use?

I use Rio hull and primer, 18.5 gr Rex I, Claybuster CB3118-12AR, 1 1/8 oz. VERY soft shooting, gives the breaks you want.

For caps, use 24.5 gr Unique, and the Claybuster CB3118-12AR behind 1 1/8 oz. This load is soft shooting, and will microwave a 27 yard bird with a good choke.

Loading free hulls is always good. Rio ammunition is made by the world's largest shotshell manufacturer. They make a good product. They also produce Kemen, which is top rate.

I prefer to load the Riefenhauser type hull with a very bulky powder and suitable wad.

Make sure your sizer is set so your hulls chamber without effort. These work without fail in 6 guns I own.

#6 ·
Use any Cheddite data you find in the reloading books as the Rio/Kemen hull is a cheddite. You will need to use a large primer like a Rio or Nobel Sport as typical US primers are too small. Am a little concerned about use of the Dillon reloader. These are 2 piece hulls and need to be supported properly during the re-priming action. MEC does an outstanding job of it. I am unaware of how the Dillon performs this function. Two Piece hulls can be reloaded successfully if you pay attention and use the right components and reloader. I know as i have reloaded nearly 100k without problems.

Tom

#8 ·
I don't use a Dillon, but do use an RCBS Grand and a Mec 9000G. Neither supports the Rio's Reifenhauser case the way a PW or Spolar does. Never the slightest problem reloading Rios or Kemens. TBaber is absolutely right about primer size. Stick to the slightly larger primers, especially if you use an auto.

I use Promo powder and the Claybuster 12S0 clone for one ounce loads. Never a problem. After three or four reloads, I pitch the hull.

Marko

#9 ·
NSXER, You may find it easier if you at least use your first name to your threads when asking for advice. Second the Rio's and Keman's use a 6 point crimp to close the hull. So you will need to buy 6 point crimps and 8 points crimps for your reloader to load both the Rio's and later the STS's and or the Win. AA's as well. Third, the Mec reloaders use a ram rod that goes down the inside of the hull and it pushes in the primer by pushing the hull down from the inside. Some of the high end reloaders not sure what make and models only hold the hull from the outside as it goes around from station to station. If no ram pushes the hull down from the inside on your reloader when installing the primers I would suggest that you don't reload the Rio's,Keman's, or maybe even the Win. AA's HS hull's. You say you are new to reloading, but you buy one of the most expensive reloaders on the market without trying the others first. Sounds like you might be trolling. Ole well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

#11 ·
The Dillion loader primes and drops the powder on the same (#2) station. The drop tube is applying preasure during the primer set. Shouldn't be a problem loading Rio's with the right components. The only thing I struggle with on my Dillion is when the empty cases are too long/tall for the wad/shot (#3) station. Gun Clubs tend to be long and stretch a little each time they are reloaded and fired.

I have never reloaded Rio's, just let them hit the ground, so I'm guessing with experience.

Maltzie

#12 ·
Steve, No problem. I saw another of your threads asking about something else about loading about 5 minutes after posting this one. I knew then you were no troll, I guess I should have come back here and removed that part. But went fishing tonight and just got back.I did OK fishing and tomorrow morning its off shooting as well. Just hope I don't let the big one get away again tomorrow. LOL. Maltzie has answered all the questions above. It should be no problem for you to load anything you need. See all the answers are here if you keep looking and asking. I am always learning something on here and try to give it back when I can. Just one question?? Why not the Mec 9000GN w/ the auto-mate??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.