1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IF YOU HAVE TAKEN A TRAPSHOOTING CLINIC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    if you have taken a trapshooting clinic, what was the #1 piece of advice that you were given that increased your scores, and made you a better shooter?

I took a clinic from a former all american Jack Gracey. he told me if you are missing hard rights and hard lefts, instead of holding out on the edges of the traphouse, start holding in more towards the center. it works. hopefully by shooters giving us one piece of advice that helped them, it will help all of us.

thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve.... I took a clinic from the late Frank Little just before he passed away. The best piece of advice he gave me was this: Keep a small bottle of "OFF" insect repellent in your shooting bag. When attending a shoot, wipe some of the OFF on the rib of your gun. It will take care of those pesky flies, bugs, gnats, etc. that seem to love sitting on your rib just as you are going to shoot. Works like a charm... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jack Gracey. those that were lucky enough to be trained by Gracey got his best everytime.

Gracey fought and won and fought and won and fought and lost to melanoma. What a courageous fighter he was. Adn for those Gyrines in the crowd, he carried your mantle well.

I loved the guy. Still do. I hope he is a "lurker" on the forum. But there are many of his shooters still pulling the trigger on trap an skeet targets. Adn for those that remember rainy day pavillion skeet, was that fun or what?

4. senior smoke

trap2-great piece of advice. how many targets over the years were lost do to insects landing on our guns?
    thanks,
    steve

5. senior smoke

MIA- not many of the newer shooters know about Jack. recently at a shoot, i was talking about Jack. a newer shooter ask me if he was any good? i have been shooting since 1970, i never saw vic reinders shoot in his prime, but of all the shooters in wisconsin that shot in their prime years, in my opinon, Jack was the best that i saw, coming from Wisconsin.
    steve

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Lean a little into that front foot. I had a tendancy to stand flat footed.

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

No

Tom Strunk

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I've taken lessons by many: both Sporting and Trap Instructors.
    Almost all talk about looking at the target not just seeing it.

The other thing I feel is usefull is "Don't call for a target when your not ready!"

Joe

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

See the target .... Phil Kiner

10. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't hold such a high gun. Lower your barrel down, you'll see the target much sooner. Do not move the gun until the target has cleared the barrel end bead. Hold your gun a little tighter in your shoulder. I was making all these mistakes. Being one eyed, I am down on top of the trap house. I see all targets leaving the house now. Hope this helps, Roy

11. mono1393

mono1393 Member

"Make sure that little white thing on the end of the rib is on the target or leading it before you pull the trigger. When that thing is on the target it will break a lot easier."

"It takes a lot of work to see that little white thing on the target (a lot of targets). You don't look at the bead, you look at the target! See the target!"

Kay Ohye

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I am getting ready to attend a Kay Ohye clinic in Medford, Oregon, in August. I have attended 2 clinics in my trapshooting career and I sincerely think this next clinic is really going to help me more than the first 2 did. Kay's no nonsense attitude gels with my way of learning so I'm confident I will get more than my money's worth... That being said, I also gleened some valuable tips from the other 2 clinics I took. I think that, if you approach each clinic with an open mind, ready and willing to put into practice what you are being taught, you will become a better shooter. Why did I pick Kay out over all the others out there? Because of his success rate at TEACHING OTHERS TO SHOOT PROPERLY AND ACHIEVING RESULTS. I don't just want to take a clinic from a good shooter, I want to take a clinic from a good instructor as well.... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. magnaguy

magnaguy TS Member

Just took a clinic two weeks ago from Phil Kiner. It was a day very well spent. Like others have said, it is a matter of "seeing" the target. Not just looking at it but really seeing it. I'm starting to understand what exactly that means and how to do it consistently. One trick Phil taught was to close one eye while the guy next to you shot and then the next two. Open it while the guy just before you shoots. Then shoot with two eyes. That little eye exercise seemed to help me really see the target better. It is hard to explain but once you really feel seeing the target you will know what to strive for.

Phil's video during the clinic was valuable as well. From the video, I found that I was doing a slight head lift as I was focusing on the target. I had no idea I was doing this but we were able to make some adjustments that solved that problem. Get someone to shoot video of you from the side. You can see a lot about your gun mount, movement, body position, and if it is all consistent from shot to shot.

14. Urbans

Urbans Member

Good thread!!!!! Ed Freise

15. biggydave

biggydave TS Member

I attened a clinic by Kay Ohye two summers ago in Holbrook MA. Kay gave me a list of about 10 things to remember each time it was my turn to shoot. I’m 69 years old and I suffer from AADD Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. There for I can never remember the 10 things that I need to do. However when I remember to; 1, Hold the gun in tight and with my forearm gripped in close to the trigger, like a fighter in a defensive position. 2. take my time and focus out were the bird will appear. 3 Don’t move the gun until your eyes are locked on the target then move to the bird and touch the bird with the white thing out there. 4. Follow through, after you break the bird. Pick a piece and follow it to the ground with the gun, stay in the gun. When I can do these 4 items I smoke the targets not break them
    Biggydave Massachusetes

16. senior smoke

so far, some great tips.
    steve

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

Leo H. told me you can shoot with bad technique, and still "get away with it" and break the target much of the time...but just because you broke the target doesn't mean you did it right. He equated it to playing a musical instrument...there, if you play a wrong note, everybody knows right away, and you FIX IT or you "die." But in trap, you can "get away with it" 8 times before you finally miss. If you get away with it 8 times and miss on the 9th, it happens to work out that that's just about what everybody's handicap average is, but somehow, you think you're doing it ok the other 8 times when really, you're not. You have to get yourself into the mode of analyzing what you're doing, even if the targets are breaking, because most of the time, they are.

Getting away with it is the thing about this sport that helps us learn bad habits. That thought has kinda stuck with me. Periodically ask, am I doing it right, or am I getting lucky and getting away with it? (This is not a conscious thought you're engaging in while shooting the gun, but rather a sort of continuous improvement attitude to keep about you the rest of the time).

18. senior smoke

buzz-gun- they makes sense.
    steve

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, here is a little information on picking an instructor if you are thinking of taking a clinic and aren't sure which one to pick.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

FROM A SHOOTERS VIEW

By: Dan Thome

This month’s topic: DVD’s and Clinics

An often asked question that I hear at shoots is should a shooter take a shooting clinic, and if so, from whom? Another question I hear is who has the best DVD on the market? To me, both of these go hand in hand. It seems like everyone has a different idea as to who the best instructors are, and whose clinic or DVD is the best. Some swear it’s this person and others swear, no, it’s not that one, but this one. While there are no clear cut answers to these questions, there are a few steps you can take to help narrow down your choices to help you make it a good one, should you decide a clinic is right for you..

I have just about every trapshooting DVD available on the market in my library. I have also been fortunate to have taken two extremely good clinics in my trapshooting career. One was with the late Frank Little, just before he passed away, and the other, more recent one, was with Daro Handy. While both were very gifted instructors, neither one really helped me in achieving what I was searching for. Let me make one thing perfectly clear before I go any farther: Both of these shooters were very good at what they did, and, although Frank has passed away, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Daro to anyone. He really knows trapshooting, has been doing it for a long time, and is a fountain of knowledge and willing to share it in his clinics. So, why didn’t I get more out of them than I did, and what would I do look for now if doing it again? Neither one was a good match for MY ability to learn, nor for MY shooting style. Let me explain.

Every instructor that offers a clinic has their own “style” of shooting. They each promote different gun holds, where to look for the target, foot positions, points of impact, etc. Some use cameras to film you. Some spend more “personal” time with you than others Each one has a distinct teaching technique, and they vary from one extreme to another. Some of their personalities are very easy going, and laid back, while others are no-nonsense, with a “do it this way, and this way only” attitude. What works with one instructor doesn’t always work with another. Trying to choose the right one for you is difficult, at best. The key is to choose the one that teaches a style of shooting that you are comfortable with and that closely matches your own. You also want an instructor that you can easily relate to and have no trouble understanding when they try to teach you something. So, how do you find such an instructor? Well, you’re in luck. The instructors themselves will provide you with the answer. DVD’s are the tool you need.

If you are seriously considering a certain instructor, spend the money and invest in their latest DVD. Almost all the top instructors have a DVD, or two, on the market. Take the time to watch it carefully and it will help you to determine if their style closely matches your own. You will also be able to see if that instructor offers a teaching method that you can easily understand. If that instructor doesn’t fit your style, sell the DVD and purchase another one. It is far better to spend $60.00 or so for a DVD, watch it, and if it doesn’t appeal to you, sell it for $45.00. This way, it should only cost you about $15.00 or so to determine if that instructor’s methods will work for you. It is far more economical to do it this way than it is to spend $350.00 to $400.00 for a weekend of instruction, only to be disappointed in the results. After you have viewed several different DVD’s, you will begin to get a pretty good feeling for which of these instructors is the best fit for you. You can then make a pretty good, educated, decision in making your choice.

The last consideration is where the instructor is located. Once you have made your choice, it will be a matter of contacting him/her and finding out where the next clinic closest to you is being held. You may have to travel some distance to get the instruction you really want, and only you can decide if it’s worth that expense. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are very fortunate to have some great instructors available. Daro Handy has several clinics each year in our area. Kaye Ohye offers one in Medford, Oregon, in August, and, from what I’ve been told, Leo Harrison III will be offering a clinic at the Spokane, Washington gun club in September. These are but a few of the really great instructors available. You have quite a few, really talented, instructors to choose from. For more clinics, dates, and locations, visit each one of their websites, or check out Trap and Field Magazine. If a clinic is in your trapshooting future, make the very best of it by finding out, before hand, if the instructor you choose is the right one for you…….Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
frank little foot position in trapshooting
frank little trap shooter
trap shooting clinic wisconsin
trap shooting clinics
trapshooting clincs

trapshooting clinics wisconsin

videos of kay ohye shooting trap