1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If you have a Remington 17HMR Mdl 597

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Certain Models of 17 HMR Remington, I believe it is the Automatic they are on recall and will not be repaired, but re Barrelled for the 22 Magnum that is what Remington told me a few minutes ago, He said the Bolt Action Models are OK but the Automatics would be re barrelled for the 22 Magnum or a $250 coupon for another Remington Product.

Call remington at 1-800-243-9700 for more Information.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Geez, your just now learning of this? I've known about this issue for two years and never owned one.

ss

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OMG. I've also learned that the big green is going to discontinue the 3200. It's good to see that there are people on this forum that have their thumb on the pulse of the firearms industry.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

DISCONTINUING THE 3200??????????????????

I better run out and buy a few more!

:)

5. Tron

Dammit!! Not Atwater! I just love that bilge attachment that they've been so proudly marketing. I guess I'll have to go with one of them Force outboards.

6. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Yeah well screw Remington, some of you seem to think this is funny, but I'm stuck with one that I paid over $300 for and they want to offer $200 and not cash, but coupons. I guess the only option is to send it back to rebarrel....I'll never touch another Remington product.....WC

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

I'm going to opt for the $250 coupon, myself.

I can get two Nylon 66s for that, and still have enough left over for 5 bricks of Yellowjackets.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington must have had complaints about the $250 coupon, because at first they were not rebarreling them. A lot of people posted complaints about that at numerous websites.

If anyone wants a semi-auto 17 HMR that works, Volquartsen makes one. But it ain't cheap. It's well over a grand. It gets around the problem of blown brass by making the bolt substantially heavier, and I don't mean a heavy bolt handle either. It uses a weight under the forend that's tied to the bolt.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The problem with the .17 isn't the gun, but the inconsistancies of the ammo. Last year I sent a blown .17 back to Magnum Research and they called me to explain that ALL of the .17 ammo was currently made by CCI, then marketed by other manufacturers. Apparently it was so wide spread during the manufacturing process that they couldn't identify the ammo by lot numbers.

10. Tron

Yep, I also heard that CCI makes all of the .17 ammo. This would account for why the prices are so high and no difference from brand to brand.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I heard that Hornady is gonna quit making the Apex 3.1 reloader. Has anyone heard this rumor and can give me more info? next thing you'll tell me MEC doesn't make the 400 Super Speeder anymore. JEEZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.