1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If you have a PW 900...I have the fix for you!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I posted last week about difficulty running machine and was going to experiment with boring the re-sizing dies. I called PW about this and they said yes the 900 had issues with to much preasure on the re-sizing side. They also informed me I could send in my dies and they would ease them out .002. I took them to my local machine shop and they just put them on a king pin reamer and took .002 out of them which left them at a total dimension of .804.

This was the BEST imporovement ever!!! this thing operates with 1/2 as much effort if not more. I wish I could scientifically measure it but it is huge. So for all you non believers, they are not hard to do and I strongly reccomend this procedure.

***BTW, cost on this was FREE*** I do know the guy but if I didnt it wouldnt of been much.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Which part of the shell holder did they open up?

The diameter of the shell holder that contacts the plastic/paper portion of the hull measures .791". The part that contacts the brass shell head measures .805". These measurements are from my 900 shell holders (the long shell holders).

New shells measure .785" to .786" on the plastic and .800" to .801" on the brass portion of the shell.

Jim Skeel

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

How does this affect the 800+ dies?

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

The part they opened up was the part that contacts the brass. Prior they measured .802 and were very very restrictive tight. Opened those up to .804. I would think .805 would even be better. Seems somebody reemed yours already or you may have done it?? Or since PW was quite aware of the problem and offered to bore mine (for a fee) maybe they fixed this on there later models.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Maybe P/W corrected the problem on my press. My serial number is 15xx as I recall. I did purchase it used so the original owned could have made a modification.

Jim Skeel

6. STOS

STOS Member

All of the sizing dies for 12ga are factory set at .806 plus or minus .001.

7. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Whiz had done my dies about a year ago and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!My old 900 ain't been the same since.It does work quite well. I never had an issue with the PW until I tried loading the EURO trash hulls.My machine did not like those hulls or the lime green weenie wads that I tried to put in them.Worked ok on the 600 jr! 2/thou seems to be the secret.Works fine now!

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.