1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

If you could thank them now

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

Hello:
    42 years ago today, was a day that I will never forget, as it changed my life in a lot of ways. I received a call from my brother in law Bill asking me if I would like to go trapshooting with him, and an elderly friend of his?

I new nothing about this sport, but that day changed my life forever. He introduced me into a sport that I still love today. It also gave me most of my friends that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

He introduced me to his friend, a long time trapshooter by the name of Sydney James. This man gave me my first shotgun, a used 870 TB along with a Mec reloader so I could also participate in our sport. He taught me that an act of kindness can change someone's life for the better. He requested that maybe someday, I could also do the same for a new young shooter too.

Both these fine men are no longer with us today, but I would like to take this time to thank each of them for changing my life for the better. Is there anyone that you would like to thank for getting you into the shooting sports?
    Steve Balistreri
  2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Yes I have the gentleman that was my mentor. My family were hunters but a hunting accident prior to my being old enough to go and age had stopped my grandpa. He also had a pacemaker installed when I was only 5 and had issues prior to placement. The accident stopped and uncle that I grew up around and WW11 stopped my dad from enjoying hunting and shooting.

But a friend my dad worked with befriended me and became my mentor in trapshooting and hunting. He spent alot of time with a bullheaded brassy youngster to teach him a few things. He passed in 79. But do to his envolvement with me, the ground work was laid to meet many people from across the US and some foreign countries that I would have never known existed. Been a few characters along the way too. The travels to clubs across the US also provided for many cherrished memories and the adventures getting there. The people and places that I had the opportunity to meetand see from small town America to big city. The on the line memories and the days spent at a host of clubs. Last but not least, my wife.I really think I might of had a boring life if it weren't for Herman Goodeyon, my mentor.

One thing about all the aforementioned, Iam thankful my wife was introduced into the game as well or we would have never met.
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

My Old Order Amish Grandparents raised me. They taught me all the good things I know. I learned the bad on my own. I think about them and how much they taught me every day. If it were not for them, I am sure I would be in a prison somewhere or destitute on the streets. Each and every time I leaned towards the dark side in my earlier years, I came to my senses and realized how much it would dissapoint them. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life but not near as many as I would have without their influence.
  4. The Stive

The Stive Member

I am very thankful to my Father. He taught me gun safety and took me hunting.
    He taught me target shooting and reloading. I am enjoying the clay target
    games because of the time he spent with me. John
  5. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

cubancigar2000:
    There are many good people on this site and you are certainly one of them. They did a good job raising you.
    Steve
  6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Simply, my Dad he was an old school hunter and taught me young. He was a rifle shooter and I always liked to sit and rload with him. I on the other hand always liked to blast things that were moving, hence I started trapshooting with my buddies when we were in high school in the 60's . Now I like to wish this shooting and reloading disease on any teenager. It'll sure make their life better in the long run. Geez... I seem to have caught the fly fishing disease along the way too. Damn, what a shame. LOL.
  7. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Member

J. C. "Pete" Dyson. Winter Haven, Florida.
  8. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

My dad taught me and my brother how to shoot at an early age and took us hunting at every opportunity. The Army really brought out my love of guns and shooting as I got to shoot on the 6th Army Pistol Team, and the Alaska National Guard Rifle Team.

My father in law got me into shooting Trap 3 years ago and boy am I hooked.

Oscar
  9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My Dad passed onto me a love of bird dogs and wing shooting. I miss Dad.
  10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA Well-Known Member

My Dad and my mother's Dad taught me how to hunt and shoot. We shot alot of ducks, geese, pheasant, and guail. Great times. My grand dad died in 1983. My Dad is still going strong at 85, but hasn't fired a shot in 20 years. Thanks to both of them. I passed it on to my son. Charlie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.