1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If you can't trust trapshooters who do you trust?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ken Mills, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

If you can

I have a disgusting story to share with anyone willing to listen. I went to my local club today for a registered shoot, I took a bin of trail cameras , rangefinders , and other hunting/shooting items for sale all new merchandise and set up an area laying everything out, marking prices ect. Everything was done on the honor system while I was shooting , all the shooters there knowing exactly who I am and picking things out and then finding me to pay as usual. When It came time to leave someone had stolen two new rangefinders from the table. I giving everyone the benefit of the doubt though they may have been misplaced but when several other club members confirmed handling them today and upon checking my list of items laid out the worst had been revealed. The shame of this is that most if not all of the 30 or so shooters and attendants I know personally and have shoot with on several occasions. I have lost ALL faith and it really does prove you cant trust anyone even fellow shooters. -Ken Mills

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

No offense intended but I think you to be quite naieve to leave them like that. When it comes down to money you can't leave things to the honor system. Not all have honor and integrity, most do. Bulge.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Locks keep honest people honest."

The problem is not that trapshooters as a group are not honest people, it's that you managed to inadvertently turn up one or two dishonest people in the group.

You can, in fact, see this right here, on this very website. Nearly all the transactions here are above board with both parties being pleased. But every now and then a skunk gets under the toolshed.

4. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

My experience, over 45 years, has been that at least 99.99% of trap shooters are honorable people. We have a small club here in central Missouri and have Wednesday evening derbies and a Sunday shoot each month. I leave the money box on a table, open and unlocked, and have never had anything come up missing. I wonder if someone who is not a shooter had access to your equipment?

5. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

I agree with both of you I shouldn't have , however, I shoot there 15-20 times a year and know everyone or 'Though' I knew everyone, there wasn't a face around today that I haven't had a conversation with, played cards, corn hole , and wouldn't have given the shirt of my back to help and now I have to re-think that position. It really makes you think when this happens at such a small shoot with a tight knit group of people. Thanks Ken

6. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Does not surprise me at all. You want to know the true quality of trapshooters? Look at the way we talk to each other here on our forum. Instead of ignoring things we don't agree with, we willingly and enthusiastically bash each other. Shameful. Yeah, a real class-act we are....... the greatest folks in the world.

"You will know them by their works."

Mike

7. 548

548 Guest

Sounds like something a kid would do. I would talk to the dads who had their kids there with them.

8. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Also the trap help...

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

10% are 100% honest.

10% are 100% dishonest.

The other 80% are they way you make them.

This was presented in a graudate class on administrative integrity I took about 100 years ago. Not sure I agree with the numbers, but it presents a concept.

WW

10. hera200

hera200 Member

Damn 548 I really find myself agreeing with you. From experience it sounds exactly like something a kid would do Asking dads who had kids there just may be of some help in coming up with an answer but I would do it very diplomatically.....BUD

11. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

The trap shooting community is made up of human beings. Even though we would like to think all of them are honest, they are not. Not to be insulting, but you were naive to leave them out.

Pat

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sorry this happened to you. Does your club have any security cameras? Years ago, I purchased a brand new 1100 trap and brought it out to the club to shoot.

The club was filled with around 25 shooters and I went to get something to drink. I came back and someone stole the lever that you pull the action back.

I told my friends what happened and one friend who I've known for 40 years offered to bring an extra used part out the next morning for me. He said he had worked on it a bit to try and fit it to another gun but I could have it.

That friend of mine left to go home and I started speaking to a elderly wife of one of my other friends. I told her what happened and she said I saw someone go over to your gun when you stepped away as he took a part off your gun.

I asked if she could describe the guy? She said sure, it was the guy that you were just speaking to a few minutes ago. My heart sank as the guy who offered to help me stole from me after being friends for 40 years.

The next morning he came out and gave me the old beat up part. I told him what I was told and he denied it. I told him someone saw him do it. I said I will put my gun back on the rack and if the part is not put back into the gun within an hour I would be calling the police.

Another friend saw him peel out of the lot and within the hour the part was put back in my gun. He denied that it was him who took the part even though another person saw him standing by my gun in the rack before the part reappeared.

I told him our friendship was over.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ken:

What would have been really nice, is if you'd had a game camera covertly set up.

I realize it's closing the barn door after the horses have left, but I am a strong proponent of security cameras. I had to go to them when a past "friend" was in town visiting, when he managed to pocket a zip-lock bag of 4-5 Perazzi internal selector inertia blocks from my bench. They were useless to him without the trees. He still to this day thinks I am clueless about it. I've never said a word about it until this thread.

I have security cameras every where now, but only one in the shop back then on the ceiling.

You'd have seen who did the theft, been able to identify them and then as the word gets out, helps to prevent future thieves... hopefully.

It is truly terrible we have to consider this, but think about the gas station, the grocery store, Best Buy, K-Mart, Sears, Penney's, WalMart, etc., etc. We are ALL on candid camera. Big business must know something we don't.

Whiz

14. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Ken and 548. Any good father would question a kid about a rangefinder or any other item he saw his kid with that he had not seen before and question from where it came. The kid would be punished and the item returned to its rightful owner. Otherwise its true the apple does not fall far from the tree. ed

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Not everyone at a trap shoot is a shooter. Shoots are a golden opportunity for grab thieves. They also mark vehicles with little dots to ID them in motel or hotel parking lots. Harlan's truck, guns and equipment where stolen a few years ago.

Word to the wise, no decals, indicating you're a shooter.

Phil Berkowitz

16. AWC

AWC Member

Ken- I am sad too hear this story. I have been a member of the club for 45 years and don't ever remember of anything like this before. Well now that I think about this there was a Model 12 taken several years ago. I left early yesterday as I got squaded beside a Browning with Browning ports in the doubles and after the first 50 I had all I wanted and left. I don't know if they bother other people but I will never shoot beside one again.

I hope someone forgot to pay and will settle up with you. AWC

17. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

A few years ago I negligently left an expensive shotgun on the outdoor gun rack at my local gun club. I did not discover that I did not have it in my truck until after midnight.

The next morning I called a club director at his home. He did not know about the gun but proceeded to investigate.

A trap club member had seen the gun left unattended as they were closing up shop the day before and took it inside and locked it in the club vault.

It was waiting on me when I went to the club later that day.

I now have appropriate labels with my name and phone number on all my gun barrels.

In a different incident years before, an out-of-state shooter left a gun at our local trap club during a tournament. No markings as to ownership were on the gun.

Inquiries to tournament shooters were sent out, but no response.

Over a couple of years later, the shooter was again at our club and asked about a lost gun. We still had the gun in the vault and gladly returned it to him.

I think that trap shooters are far far better than average on honesty and integrity.

18. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I was told a long time ago no matter who Black White Professional Blue Collar from Priest to Pilot to Doctor to Janitor to Homeless a certain percent of people are just Nuts or Thefts or Murders.
    It's sad but true. Good Luck in the Future & I do believe in the end they will get what they deserve.
    Good Shooting & the best to You.

19. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I trust a bunch more than I like.

20. JohnStefanowicz

JohnStefanowicz Member

My motto is from Shakespeare - Love all. Trust a few. Do harm to no one. John