1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If you are an ATA member can you ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I could'nt get it all in the title, If you are an ATA member and a club in any state is having an ATA shoot do they have to let you shoot in it?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

...unless you're a democrat union member.

We reserve the right to refuse anybody we don't want in our "club."

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Unless you have been removed from that club for some violation.---Matt

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

5. smp005

smp005 Member

That is why many events are listed as "Invitationals" - there are provisions for situations where an individual has been banned from a club for specific reasons..

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

smp005,

Could you please give some examples of these "Invitational" events?

Also, would you please cite the "provisions for situations where an individual has been banned from a club for specific reasons."

Thanks

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"If you are an ATA member and a club in any state is having an ATA shoot do they have to let you shoot in it?"

Well yes unless the Club posts a disclaimer in the official program. Many local clubs in this area put a statement in the program that says they reserve the right to refuse any entry as they deem necessary at there digression.

The ATA BY-Laws says under membership,

Section 4: Both Life Members and Annual Members, upon presentation of their membership cards, the payment of registration fee and compliance with the rules and regulations of this Association and their State Organization, shall be entitled to participate in all trapshooting contests registered by the Amateur Trapshooting Association of America.

Bob Lawless

9. grntitan

Thanks Bob----Those that said no, care to explain to someone like me that does not know and understand all the rules why you could not be allowed to shoot. I just want to make sure i never go to a shoot and get told no?----Matt

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

around here, there is a one day shoot called the Jersey crickets. They shoot registered targets at three different clubs. the shoot is held in the spring but the sign-up closes in either December or January. so you cannot just show up at one of those three clubs and shoot registered targets that day. So there is an example of why you would not be able to shoot, despite your ATA membership.

Another example would be if the club has a cut-off number for participants, number of squads, etc. You can only get so many shooters through in a given period of time. rather than cut folks out of the shoot, shoots like the Southern Grand will shorten the program as required but at least you will get to shoot.

11. grntitan

Gary---Those are resonable reasons to me. I was thinking more on the lines of no good reason. I really don't know any around me that would even think about turning someone away.----Matt

12. JOND

JOND TS Member

I believe a private organization named the "Okoboji Indians" is the only group that shoots registered ATA targets. These shoots are not open to other ATA members.I believe they started in Iowa around 1900. JOND

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

No, club rules over rule any other rules ... The club can refuse to serve you if you do not adhere to that clubs rules ... I turned two shooters away after they drove from Colorado to the Spring Grand at the old Phoenix Club, then didn't want to wait in line like everyone else ... They walked past the classification desk to the cashier and expected the cashier to take their cards to the classification and get them classified ... I told the cashier to tell them to get in line with everyone else ... They wanted to force the issue and I told them to leave that they will not be shooting this shoot ... That was the last time I saw them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I remember the day the power went out there at the Spring Grand one year Bill. Somebody had hit a pole in the area. Awfull quiet for a while.

15. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The 2009 Michigan Trapshooting Association Program says:

"These are invitational tournaments and the Directors reserve the right to reject, refund, or disqualify any contestant who, in their judgment, interferes with the harmony of the shoot or violates Amateur Trapshooting Association or Michigan Trapshooting Association rules or regulations."

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Anyone breaking ATA, State or club rules shouldn't be allowed to shoot but I think the question ask is if they can ban you for no known reason or like "only the people we want here can shoot".

Buzzy, I'm just a union member so if we ever cross paths please try and ban me for just only that reason. I'd bet things would get costly for the club after that.

Your union friend, Bill

17. smp005

smp005 Member

As MTA Tom stated, if you check event programs you will often see "Invitational" in there.. I have shot at a club where a particular shooter was banned from the grounds for some type of safety violation not related to trapshooting but because of that he was not allowed to participate in the registered shoot.

18. grntitan

I can certainly understand a rule violation. I do NOT believe that any club or facility running an ATA shoot can just reserve the right to refuse service for anything other than not following rules. I'm certainly not saying it has never happened but it is not allowed by ATA rules. Someone not allowed to participate for such a reason would have a very strong legal case.---Matt

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

grntitan

"I do NOT believe that any club or facility running an ATA shoot can just reserve the right to refuse service for anything other than not following rules. I'm certainly not saying it has never happened but it is not allowed by ATA rules."

Matt just a word of advice be sure you are correct before you say things that may come back to haunt you.

SECTION III REQUIREMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CONDUCTING A REGISTERED SHOOT

C. CHECKLIST FOR THE SHOOT

3. Shoot Management of any registered event and/or tournament, at its
    discretion, may reject any entry, or refund any entry. In all cases except
    as may be otherwise provided in these Official Rules, the authority of
    the Management of a registered shoot is not subject to appeal and all
    contestants must abide by its rulings. No entry shall be rejected on the
    basis of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability unless
    such disability renders the contestant incapable of complying with these
    Official Rules or results in an unsafe condition, which endangers any
    person or property.

This rule can be found on Page 10 of the 2010 rule book as 2011 has not yet(to my knowledge)been published.

Bob Lawless

20. grntitan

Guys, certainly i agree with what you both have posted. What i posted didn't really come out like i intended. I simply meant as long as all guidlines and rules including shooters conduct were followed it would seem they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Now that i read what you both have posted(i.e. the rules), it sure leaves alot of room for interpretation by shoot management. I guess that being said i'll re-cant my statement. No harm no foul. I guess my statements was more hope/wish than fact.---Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.